2/16 Kitty AMPS 80. +6 77 - Dental tom., qstns!

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Kathy and Kitty, Feb 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kathy and Kitty

Kathy and Kitty Well-Known Member

Yesterday: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6418

Kitty is not nervous, but mama bean is.

Question about his food tonight: The vet said that he won't start the procedure until at least 11:30 a.m. (we're bringing him in at 9:30).

Therefore, instead of cutting off food and water at midnight, I can give him his last food as late as 3 a.m.

Does everyone here think 8 hours sounds right?

Kitty's shot tonight will be at about 10 pm. I could feed him at 2 am, maybe MC, to make sure he doesn't go too low in the night.

And do I need to test BG before taking him to vet in the morning?

Advice on how to manage tonight appreciated by this nervous wreck.

ps. The rest of the drill: Tomorrow morning, no shot. Vet knows to give glucose drip as he deems necessary. Will test BG as soon as kitty is home. Will not feed more than little licks at first, to avoid pukus.

2. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

Re: 2/16 Kitty AMPS 80 - Dental tom., qstns!

no advice, just wanted to say we will be sending positive dental thoughts your way! I am sure everything will go great!

3. Roni and Moonie

Roni and Moonie Well-Known Member

Re: 2/16 Kitty AMPS 80 - Dental tom., qstns!

I believe our dental told us to not feed for 12 hrs, she got reg. shot at nite, and I think a half in the am, but that I dont recall..
    When they give aneasthesia, they dont want the cat to throw up while under, exactly, so the no feeding, I would check with vet once more..And the dosing..better to be safe.
    I'm sure Kitty will come through FINE--sending good dental vines to Kitty & calming vibes to you--It will be fine!! HUGS from us!!

4. skippy and birten

skippy and birten Member

Skippy and I are sending you good vibes for tomorrow. Everythin will go fine. I will be thinking of you ;-) Keep us posted!

5. Michelle and Mannie (GA)

Michelle and Mannie (GA) Well-Known Member

positive thoughts your way! When we did our dental we were told no food after midnight, and Mannie was set with a 8AM appt. Of course we loaded him up with food at midnight, and he was just fine. I cannot recall if we gave him his Lantus or not, but I think it was half at AMPS.

6. Kathy and Kitty

Re: 2/16 Kitty PMPS 85 -- next meal...?

A little food in that PMPS (ate 1.5 hours before).

So... how late can he eat??

I will get a +2.

Maybe I should give him a little MC for his night food. Might not do anything for him, but it would make ME feel better. I don't want to worry about him going low this cycle, without food as usual in the night.

7. Kathy and Kitty

Re: 2/16 Kitty's appiontment is 9:30 for 11 am dental

If midnight is the cutoff for 8:30 a.m, then Kitty should certainly be okay getting some food at 1 at least. We're dropping him off at 9:30, and the vet said he won't begin until after 11 or 11:30.

8. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

good luck with the dental! My vet told me to pull food 12 hours before the dental, but I'm pretty sure I saw elsewhere that 8 hours should be enough. I would test in the morning just in case he's lower than expected. I'm sure Kitty will come through with flying colors.

9. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

kathy, my vet told me to fast alex for 8 hours before her dental. actually, he said 6 hours would do in a pinch, but he preferred an 8 hour fast.
    i'm sure everything will be just fine. sending positive dental vines (and calming vines for mommabean)...

10. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

My vet advised no food after midnight and Gabby was scheduled for her dental at either 10 or 11 AM. Water is OK. If your vet advised no shot in the AM, that's fine.

Test in the AM at your regular shot time (if you're still home) and test when you walk back in the door with Kitty.

Especially if there are extractions, get some baby food. You'll want something as a treat and baby food doesn't require any chewing they way some treats (e.g., jerky) do. It may also be a good option when you get Kitty home. (The "dental" is pretty much the same as a deep scaling that a periodontist would do. Your mouth is kind of achy.)

11. Kathy and Kitty

Re: 2/16 No MC tonight?

The only thing left is... I am so tempted to give him a little drizzle of HC gravy over his last feeding, just so he won't go low.

Anyone majorly object?

12. Jill & Alex (GA)

Re: 2/16 No MC tonight?

ummmmmmmm, i was just looking at kitty's ss. when was the last time kitty went low during the cycle? :mrgreen:
    on 12/31 he dropped to 49. on 11/18 he dropped to 48..............

13. Kathy and Kitty

Re: 2/16 we have a plan

:idea: I deduce from this comment that going low is not high on my worry checklist. :lol:

Especially since he will have not only a +2 Early Snack, but also a +4. :mrgreen: Assuming he's fine at bedcheck, we'll stick with LC.

Thanks for all the good wishes, everyone.

14. Jill & Alex (GA)

try not to worry, k? i know it's almost impossible, but try.
    :YMHUG:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.