2/17 Buster AMPS 216

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by jenben02, Feb 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jenben02

jenben02 New Member

Hello!

This is my first post along with my SS. Buster was diagnosed about a month ago and his levels have improved quite a bit, but it's obvious I need to be a better Mom and start tracking his results like you all do. I haven't missed giving him a shot since he was diagnosed which is what I was worried about (that and I don't like needles). Getting his glucose reading is hit or miss. I have a hard time making sure I have everything I need in front of me and ready to go when I finally get enough blood to get a reading.

I am learning a lot from the message boards! It's nice to know that others are having the same experiences I'm having. I thought the world would end when I found out my baby was sick.

I would love to hear any input you have (good or bad) with regards to my post/SS. I am going to start testing him before each shot especially since his levels are a lot lower then when first diagnosed.

The only concerns I have right now are his 1) neuropathy which seems to be getting worse, 2) his puddingpoo which has been going on for about a week now, and 3) his diet.

I was in such shock when Buster was diagnosed I bought whatever the Vet told me to buy so of course I bought the dry D/M food (which costs a FORTUNE) and have been mixing it 3 to 1 with the Science Diet Adult Light Hairball Control. I haven't made any other change, but now that it seems I should make the switch to the wet stuff (which makes me gag, but I'll live) that's going to be my next step. I bought a twelve pound bag of the perscribed food and unless someone has major objections I'll probably use it up and start the wet diet before it's all gone. I have two cats so I know it won't take that long.

Anyway...that's all for the day. I am very thankful for this website and I appreciate any input you may have.

Thanks much!

Jennifer & Buster (meow)

2. Sarah and Buzz

Sarah and Buzz Well-Known Member

Hi Jen and Buster! :) Welcome to FDMB and LL (Lantus Land). You have definitely come to the right place to help Buster and yourself.

I'm a new Lantus user, so I can't offer much in the way of dosing help or numbers or such. Others will be along soon to give you more specifics, I'm sure.

As far as the food, did you know you can take it back to your vet for a refund? They send it back to the food company so they get their money back too. I wouldn't use up the rest of the bag if I were you, because it's really not good food. HOWEVER, and this is important, please don't switch diets until you are able to hometest before each shot (and ideally some during the cycle as well). Changing food without home testing can be a recipe for disaster: some kitties have such a favorable reaction to the diet change that their insulin needs are reduced dramatically. Without testing, you won't be able to tell if this is the case and you risk Buster going hypoglycemic. I just realized, though, that you didn't specify whether the Science Diet and D/M are dry or canned. The advice still applies either way, but the canned versions are of course lower in carbs than the dry versions. Could you clarify for us, just so we have all the info?

Don't feel bad about buying the food from the vet. Most of us did the same thing, and the important thing is now you know what is good for Buster and are going to make changes accordingly.

We also all know how you felt at diagnosis, and how much of a relief it is to find this place and realize that others are going through what you are. This has been my lifeline since Buzz's dx, and it's so comforting to know everyone is here and willing to help. :)

Home testing will get easier, too. Are you warming Buster's ear with a rice sock before the test (it makes the blood flow better)? If you use a dab of Vaseline or Neosporin on the ear where you're going to test, it will make the blood bead up and it's much easier to get the blood to go in the meter when it's not leaking out into the fur. What gauge lancets are you using? Are you using a lancet pen/device or just using the lancet freehand? Everyone here has tips and tricks to make testing easier, and we will be glad to share any of them that you are interested in. The clothespin trick really helped me out a LOT. It looks weird, and I didn't try it for awhile, but once I did, there was no turning back. I don't have to use them anymore, but it was a lifesaver in the beginning. You can find it here: http://www.felinecrf.org/giving_sub-qs_ ... _peg_trick

Ask any questions you can think of, and keep on reading. Everything gets so much easier as you go along, and before you know it, you will be helping newly diagnosed kitties and their beans (humans). :)

ETA: Have you tried methyl B-12 for Buster's neuropathy? Many folks here use it and can advise about where to get it or how it works.

3. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Hi Jen and Buster

welcome to the Lantus forum...I would recommend you cross post these concerns in the Health forum also,
    I am sure you will be provided with a lot of links about neuropathy., diet and issues with puddingpoo.

for diet I highly recommend you visit these health links, especially Dr Lisa's nutrition links:
    viewtopic.php?f=14&t=115

If you have any concerns with Lantus and would like to learn more about the protocol Lantus Land uses, u can start here
    up above in the stickies (allthreads with the "star" icon)

The Tilly Protocol:
    viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1581

New to the Group:
    viewtopic.php?f=9&t=157

Handling and storing Lantus:
    viewtopic.php?f=9&t=151

Becoming Data Ready To shoot Lower Numbers:
    viewtopic.php?f=9&t=147

Insulin Depot: AKA The Storage Shed:
    viewtopic.php?f=9&t=150

Feel free to ask, and welcome to the group!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.