2/17 Sami AMBG 71/PMBG 72 - OTJ Trial Day 2

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Tina & Sammy, Feb 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tina & Sammy

Tina & Sammy Well-Known Member

Yesterday's Condo

Sami and I had a good night. I actually got to stay in bed until the alarm went off this morning. I did have three kitties staring at me from the head board when I woke up, but I was thankful that they allowed me to sleep rather than knocking things onto my head.

I can't say that I slept through the night though. I did wake up at 1:30 am. Sami was soundly sleeping at me feet. And when I say soundly I mean it, a few times in the past few weeks she has been in such a deep sleep that when I pet her she doesn't even move. And even if I shake her a bit she doesn't move. It really freaks me out so I had to keep shaking her until she woke up. It eased my mind, but I am sure she wasn't too happy about it. I will try to freak out so much and try to remember that she is a deep sleeper.

Sami is off to another great start today. I do have a question though, why is it that the BG goes down after food? I always expected it to go up slightly for a few hours and then come back down as the bodies insulin kicks in. But in Sami's case it seems to go down and then go up later. I don't get it.

2. Lynee and Max

Lynee and Max Member

Re: 2/17 Sami AMBG 71 - OTJ Trial Day 2

HAPPY DAY 2 :RAHCAT :RAHCAT :RAHCAT

So very nice of the kitties to allow you to sleep in this morning. But you do know, those eyes staring at you were just them being polite about waking you up. It still seems so strange to me to be able to sleep in and not have to jump out of bed at 5:00 am to test and shoot Max. Although my internal alarm clock still won't let me sleep past that time (nor will the kitties belly clock wanting their brefus).

3. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Happy Day 2 Sami!!
    I may be wrong, but I think I heard that food will bring them down if the pancreas is working.

4. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Happy Day 2 Sami and Tina!!

I was wondering the exact same question this morning and was going to post it (about the BG going down after they eat). I am glad you did. :mrgreen: I want to be able to wrap my head around the physiology of that fact.

5. Tina & Sammy

Hopefully, Monique or one of the other experienced ones, can clue us in on this. I really want to understand the whole concept.

6. Monique & Spooky

Monique & Spooky Well-Known Member

True it will bring them down, usually after several hours. A short rise after consuming a meal is normal and logical. Let's say the BG was 72 before eating (assuming a 6 hour fast) about 1 hour after consuming a meal the BG will normally rise slightly so it might be around 87. After another hour or 2 the pancreas is working hard and the BG begins to drop sometimes to the orginal fasting level sometimes lower. This is usually more noticable when the pre-meal BG is higher >100, that's why we say during an OTJ trial if you measure a "blue" AMBG don't panic, feed the cat and test again after about 3 hours, not immediatly after. A newly functioning pancreas that has been resting while the cat was on insulin may lag a little before it kicks in. Sometimes it needs to "notice" a rise in BG before it goes to work. This is all normal. Looking at Sami's SS I don't see any significant rise post eating and often a fall several hours later. Of course it's only been 2 days without insulin and you only have pre-meal numbers and no measurements in the middle (which you don't need, it will only make you crazy) small changes of 10 points cannot be counted as truly significant especially in a cat not recieving insulin, these can be simple meter variance and although BG is tightly regulated in mammals typically around 90 mg/dl (species specific measuring technique) a slight over or under is perfectly normal. The guidlines for humans allows a post-meal BG of upto 140, before diabetes comes into question. Don't give to much thought to it, if your really curious then a mean BG (simular to a HBA1C or fructoseamine) can be determined by the average value of all your measurements over a time span where all other variables remained somewhat constant (food amount and type, and insulin dose or without insulin) If you average Sami's BG values during the last 2 1/2 days without insulin you get 69 which is certainly a "non-diabetic" number.

Congratulations on Day 2!

7. Tina & Sammy

(((Monique))),

Thanks for the reply. I always enjoy reading your responses because they are so informative.

8. Randi & Max (GA)

Randi & Max (GA) Well-Known Member

Happy Day 2 Tina & Sami
    Looking really terrific.

9. Chris & Mally

Chris & Mally Member

Happy Day 2!!! Can't wait until you join us at the Falls! :smile:

10. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

Sami!! Day 2!

S :RAHCAT A :RAHCAT M :RAHCAT I :RAHCAT