? 2/18/20 PMPS 158@+2; 155@+11

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Crystal&Hendrix, Feb 18, 2020.

1. Crystal&Hendrix

Crystal&Hendrix Member

Hi everyone, my kitties BG this morning was 133@+11.5 and 119@+12.

At 133 I stalled without food and waited 30 mins and it went to 119. Do I stall again? Skip his dose? Feed him? I’m confused as to why it’s going down and not up. :arghh:

Notes:
    PMPS: @148
    +5 @81 (I want to get a +2 but I was super exhausted and didn’t even hear my alarm go off)
    +11.5 @133
    +12 @119

Thank you:cat:

Re tested him 30 mins after stalling again and it’s now 122. He is now an hour or more past having his shot.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
  2. Crystal&Hendrix

Crystal&Hendrix Member

3. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

Hmmm.... He's pretty flat, if you account for meter variance, and he's definitely up since the +5.

You don't want to stall too long because they can start to get hungry and then that can affect the BG, but can you get another test?

Are you able to monitor this cycle, with plenty of supplies?

Crystal&Hendrix likes this.
  4. Crystal&Hendrix

Crystal&Hendrix Member

I just tested him a few minutes ago and it was 122....... I’ve been stalling all morning and he’s begging for food. He’s an hour late for his shot.... I’m like do I skip it this morning and start fresh tomorrow? I don’t know what to do his shot times aren’t usually 11/11 but got to 12/12 again and it’s now almost 2pm.....

5. Nan & Amber (GA)

Adding: these are shootable numbers (assuming he doesn't take a dive from here on the next test!), and not too far off from numbers you've shot before. If you can monitor, it could be a good opportunity to push your "no-shoot" number down a bit, but only if you feel ready!

6. Crystal&Hendrix

Crystal&Hendrix Member

His no shot number is 140 and he’s at 122. I don’t really feel comfortable giving him his shot when he’s at 122 because his numbers drop so low during the day...he just had his no shot number pushed down a few days ago

Nan & Amber (GA) likes this.
  7. Nan & Amber (GA)

Oh, hmmmm.... If the shot times are getting inconvenient for you, that's another factor. If you want to push the reset button so you can get back on schedule, that's a reason to lean towards skipping.

I think this is deciding it...

Give the boy his breakfast, and get another test in sometime today to keep an eye on him, start fresh tonight!

8. Crystal&Hendrix

Crystal&Hendrix Member

Okay I was thinking that because I don’t know what else to do he’s whining for food so much he’s so hungry and I can’t keep stalling. I’ll keep my eye on him and his BG throughout the day. So I skip his dose this morning then? And feed him, and retest in an hour? And do I give him his shot tonight if BG is at shop table number ex: 140. Or do I wait until tomorrow morning

9. Nan & Amber (GA)

Yes. You can test in an hour or maybe two-- just keeping an eye on what the depot is up to today without the shot. Your cycle counter (to decide on whether to try an increase or a decrease on TR) starts over with tonight's shot-- it'll take a few cycles to settle the depot back down after the skip.

Once you're back on schedule and feel ready to tackle the challenge, I think you'll find that pushing the no-shoot number down farther won't be as scary as it seems now. Lantus is really good at keeping numbers flat in the good greens. The more you can get him hanging out in these numbers, the more his pancreas will have a chance to do some healing!

10. Crystal&Hendrix

Crystal&Hendrix Member

Okay sounds good thank you for your reply!!! I was pacing waiting for advice LOL. I’ll talk to an admin and see about getting his no shot pushed down again. I’ll keep an eye on his BG through out the day and give him his shot tonight then if he’s able. I’ve been seeing a lot of green lately which makes me happy and excited

11. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

There aren't any Admins here on the board. Everybody here is a volunteer...we have Mods, but they're usually here to just step in if things get heated on a thread and clean up the mess we sometimes make. The FDMB isn't the same as the FD group on Facebook.

The next time, let's try this.....if under 140, stall but don't stall for more than 1 hour....so if you stall twice and he's still not at least climbing, just skip that shot and start over at the next normal shot time.

Remember, when stalling, if the numbers start to climb (even if it doesn't go all the way up to 140), it's usually fine to go ahead and shoot. (example...at AMPS you get a 108, you stall for 30 and he goes up to 124....you stall for another 30 and he goes up to 132....go ahead and shoot! You have to try to remember that you're not shooting the number you're seeing right then....the shot you give doesn't usually start to kick in for 2-3 hours after it's given.

The truth is you could have shot the 122 this morning....as long as you were home, had plenty of supplies and could test as much as necessary. This is why we test....so that WE are in control of our cat's BG! In all the years I've been here, I don't remember once when someone had to go to an ER when they were home and had the necessary supplies. There have been a few times when a cat accidentally got 2 shots instead of 1 or a petsitter gave 20 units instead of 2U, but as long as you're ready, have all the supplies and can stay home to test, there's no reason you need to be so scared to shoot lower numbers.

Look at China's spreadsheet.....she's a good example of the nice flat cycles you can get when shooting low numbers.

Since you skipped this morning's shot, you can start over at 10pm tonight if you want

12. Crystal&Hendrix

Crystal&Hendrix Member

Oh I kind of figured there was no “admins” to be honest but I wasn’t sure I didn’t want to seem rude lol. And okay this all makes sense I’m going to write some of this down so the more I know the better! I kind of had a feeling “okay maybe I can shoot his 122 if it’s slowly going up” but I didn’t want to risk it and someone say “nooo why would you do that” LOL. I get so paranoid. And I always make sure I have supplies just in case. And 20 units? Oh no that sounds like a lot for one kitty I can’t believe that happened. Yikes.

Also okay sounds good I will give him his shot for 10pm tonight. And I will also write all this down like I said before, so that way I remember and can read my notes and tell myself “okay he’s climbing so if he has his shot he might be higher than before especially if it takes time to kick in” I hope I didn’t mess up this morning I usually wait for a reply or answer before making a decision I’m unsure of. I keep shaking my head at myself A LOT lately. lol. I will test him in an hour and see how he’s doing. I’m going to try to do a +2, +5 and a +8 today and see how he’s doing since he didn’t have his shot this morning. I hope he doesn’t sky rocket but I doubt he will since the one day he went 19 hours without his shot and he went from 7ish to 8 I couldn’t believe it stayed low I was shocked.

13. Chris & China (GA)

Another option would be to get a +11.5.....that would not only give you 30 minutes to find someone to watch for your Pre-shot test, but you'd know if he was going up or down at the end of the cycle.

14. Crystal&Hendrix

Crystal&Hendrix Member

Okay I tried to get certain times done yesterday but I was SO exhausted I didn’t even hear my alarm go off. And his 133....would that have been his 11.5? And the 119 would be +12? I just want to make sure his SS is correct. I spent over an hour the other day trying to fix it LOL.

15. Chris & China (GA)

What 119?

And I don't know since I don't know what time you shot....you've bounced around so many times I can't keep up.

Let's try this.....No matter how long it's been since your last SHOT, the Pre-Shot numbers on your spreadsheet should always be the number you actually shoot at.

Let's say you stall for 1 hour (with a usual shot time of 10/10 and you DID shoot at 10pm last night)….You tested at 10am and got a 108 (too low for you to comfortably shoot)….so you stalled 30 minutes. It's now 10:30 and you get a 124 but you're still not comfortable shooting)….so you stall another 30 minutes....it's now 11am and you have a 148 so you SHOOT!

You could put the 108 @ +12 and 124 @ +12.5 in the +11 cell OR you can put 108 @ +12, 124 @ +12.5, 148 @ +13 all in the AMPS cell

That way, if you tested again at 1pm, that would be 2 hours since you actually shot, so the test number goes in the +2 cell because when you go to the + cells, they always correspond to the number of hours since the SHOT

16. Nan & Amber (GA)

We've all been there! Those first few weeks/months of this are always so crazy. And just when you think you've got the hang of it, the kitties do something different! Like, Hendrix seems to have spent the month of January in reds/pinks, then I guess he didn't see his shadow on Groundhog Day and decided nope, enough of this, I wanna hang out in blues and greens now. Which is great! But it meant you had a whole new set of decisions you had to make. And of course, as soon as you get the hang of this routine, he'll probably switch things up again-- it's always changing!

Keep asking questions, making notes for yourself, etc. Chris has given you some excellent general guidelines and suggestions. I like the idea of starting early gathering the data for a shot decision with a +11 or +11.5. That gives you a chance to get your bearings before the shot decision, and also gives a little extra time to post here for advice. Every little bit helps!

Mo & Colby and Crystal&Hendrix like this.
  17. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Crystal. I see Hendrix is keeping you on your toes. You have been getting great advice from Chris and Nan.
    Looks like you will need to start lowering your no shoot number again. Hendrix is in a hurry for the finishing line.
    He is doing so well for a newly diagnosed kitty.
    As long as you are testing you are in control.
    Sorry I wasn’t around earlier... early morning for me.

18. Crystal&Hendrix

Crystal&Hendrix Member

Hi bron!! Yes he sure is. LOL. Chris, nan, and yourself have been wonderful support for me these last few days, well since the beginning really. He’s doing so good and I’m super proud of him. And that’s okay I do understand people get busy or they aren’t always online. I did a +2 and a +5 so far
    His +2 was 160 and his +5 was 117. Should I get a +8 and then a +11?

19. Crystal&Hendrix

Crystal&Hendrix Member

The first few weeks were definitely the hardest!!! Sleepless nights, lots of tears and frustration but I got the hang of it and learned so much I’m still learning to be honest. And yes January was very tiring for us both , so many reds and pinks. I got excited over yellows and now that he’s blue and green I’m even more anxious and excited now. I’m so proud of him. He loves to keep me busy and on my toes that’s for sure. I have so many notes and still making new ones. I will make sure to start getting some more +11’s and +11.5’s just in case. He skipped his dose this morning as you can tell and his BG is staying low I’m surprised because I thought it would sky rocket but it didn’t. Thank you so much for all your advice and help. Everyone has been so helpful and supportive for Hendrix and I. I surely appreciate it.

20. Crystal&Hendrix

Crystal&Hendrix Member

One thing I do want to ask; earlier someone mentioned to me and said maybe I should lower his dose to .25 soon maybe even tonight but I thought I’d ask first instead of making that decision I always want to double check with someone first

21. Chris & China (GA)

Nope, not yet.....he needs to drop below 50 or stay in normal numbers for 7 days to earn another reduction.

22. Crystal&Hendrix

Crystal&Hendrix Member

I thought so but I couldn’t remember the rules on that.

23. Crystal&Hendrix

Crystal&Hendrix Member

Hi bron sorry to bug you

I did a +5 and a +8 today
    I just did his +8

He has his shot for 10pm tonight right? Since I’m starting fresh again

His +5 was 117
    His +8 was 110

24. Chris & China (GA)

Since you skipped this morning, you can shoot his PM dose anytime that works for you.

He sure is looking fantastic!

25. Crystal&Hendrix

Crystal&Hendrix Member

Okay so should I feed him then test him in two hours and see if he’s at 120ish?

26. Chris & China (GA)

NO....the whole idea of stalling is NOT feeding to see if the number goes up on it's own ...without food influencing it.

27. Nan & Amber (GA)

I don't know what time zone you are in-- if it's 8pm, then yes, you can feed now, then test at 10pm for the pre-shot (or, as Chris suggested earlier, get a 9:30pm test as the "+11.5" heads-up first, then the PMPS).

If it's later than 8pm where you are, and you want to shoot at 10pm, then no, no food in that 2hr window, and no food while stalling at pre-shot (if you have to stall).

Good luck tonight! Great numbers today!

28. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Are you at +8 now? (Actually +20) And are wanting to give the shot at +22?
    @Chris & China (GA) thinkibg you may have misunderstood or have I?
    She wants to feed now and test in 2 hours to see if she can shoot....that should be ok to do that

29. Chris & China (GA)

I'm as lost as you are on times and what they mean on her spreadsheet, but she told me in PM that the 110 was at 9:30pm (her time) and she wants to shoot at 10pm

Since she skipped this morning, there's no reason she can't "shoot early" since it will actually be +22 when she shoots (I think)

30. Nan & Amber (GA)

OK, scratch what I said above, then, sorry!

31. Crystal&Hendrix

Crystal&Hendrix Member

Let me help everyone for a second lol everyone of us is confused and I feel horrible.

This is my full journal entry in my book

Feb 17th:
    “Amps”

11:16am; 160
    11:18am fed
    11:18am shot
    1:29pm; 113
    1:30pm fed small amount
    5:21pm; 67
    5:21pm fed
    5:58pm; 67
    7:08pm 85
    9:22pm 130
    10:56pm 133
    11:35pm 137
    ——
    12:24am 148. ( “feb 18” )
    12:24am fed
    12.29am shot
    5:53am 81
    5:54am fed
    9:39am fed (cause he threw up I thought he was hungry)
    12:07pm 133
    12:45pm 119
    1:20pm 122
    1:49pm fed
    Skipped his dose
    3:43pm 160
    3:49pm fed
    6:28pm 117
    6:28pm fed
    9:35pm 110 (just a while ago but it is now 10:10 so going to re test)

@Chris & China (GA) @Bron and Sheba (GA)
    @Nan & Amber (GA)

Mo & Colby and Nan & Amber (GA) like this.
  32. Chris & China (GA)

No worries at all Nan!! You actually "guessed" right! You just didn't know it was actually 9:30pm where she is.

33. Bron and Sheba (GA)

@Crystal&Hendrix
    Can you clarify the times for us. What you are up at the moment and how long before you want to shoot. In + times. And your time if you like. We are confused!

34. Chris & China (GA)

My head hurts....LOL

Let's just go by the next test result....and don't feed him unless we tell you to

35. Bron and Sheba (GA)

@Chris & China (GA) ok. Looks like you had some inside information :joyful:
    Don’t worry about mix up. As long as it gets sorted. I’m still confused though.

ok I think I get it now.

36. Nan & Amber (GA)

OK, I think I've got it (maybe-- lol). Crossing fingers that he'll be high enough to shoot-- he really is looking great!

37. Crystal&Hendrix

Crystal&Hendrix Member

Oh no...I feel so bad I feel like crying I confused everyone and even myself!! This has never happened before.:joyful:

38. Crystal&Hendrix

Crystal&Hendrix Member

Testing him now!! Sorry took me a bit too type all that out for you guys

39. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Please don’t cry! I am laughing.
    All part of the journey.

40. Nan & Amber (GA)

No no, don't feel bad! I get confused all the time, between the different time zones and following different kitties, and I am not a night person, so around this time I need a lot of hand-holding to figure out what's what. But your list of times and tests was very clear!

41. Crystal&Hendrix

Crystal&Hendrix Member

Oh no I’m not actually crying LOL I’m laughing but I shouldn’t be cause this is bad LOL. I feel horrible:nailbiting::joyful:

42. Chris & China (GA)

You should be dancing, not crying!! Yes, we're all confused but Hendrix seems to know exactly what he's doing. He's getting tired of the juice!

43. Crystal&Hendrix

Crystal&Hendrix Member

It is 10:22pm here and his BG is 6.7 (121)

44. Crystal&Hendrix

Crystal&Hendrix Member

I can tell! He’s also tired of me pricking him LOL!!! And I do I get super excited lately with these numbers

45. Chris & China (GA)

I'd go ahead and give him his .5 dose, feed him, and test again at +1 and +2 (that's about 11:30 and 12:30 for you)…...As long as you're ok with supplies and can test as much as necessary tonight

46. Crystal&Hendrix

Crystal&Hendrix Member

12:29am shot...... would have been his “pmps shot” technically
    And he should have had his “amps shot” between the 133 and 119 I think but I didn’t give it to him I skipped it. I think I’m right now I’m all confused though

47. Bron and Sheba (GA)

I agree with Chris. I have to head out shortly but I should be back around your +2 or +3 and for several hours following that so can watch for updates.

48. Crystal&Hendrix

Crystal&Hendrix Member

Yes I just got a full new thing of strips today because I was getting low on my last bottle. And yes that would be around 11:30-12ish for his +1 or +2. So he CAN eat then ? And then give him his shot and test him in 1-2 hours?

49. Chris & China (GA)

YES....Feed him and shoot him now.....then test in 1 hour and again an hour later (at +1 and +2)

50. Crystal&Hendrix

Crystal&Hendrix Member

Lol I’m sorry okay I will do that! I can’t stop laughing but really I feel horrible inside for everyone trying to help me and figure this all out

51. Bron and Sheba (GA)

I would get a +1 and a +2 to start with

52. Chris & China (GA)

I entered your numbers on your spreadsheet for you....and instead of typing out "skipped shot", just enter N.S. (for No Shot) so we know you skipped on purpose (I already did that too)

53. Crystal&Hendrix

Crystal&Hendrix Member

okay I will be sure to do that he’s at 91ish right now since his last test what if he drops below 50 ? I just need to know everything because I’ve NEVER shot him at 120 before it scares me a little but I fed him and gave him his shot I’m nervous as heck right now LOL

54. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Don’t feel horrible.
    We need some light relief sometimes.

But seriously it just shows why it is always best to talk in + numbers so there is no confusion. As we all live in different time zones it is hard to get ones head around specific times whereas + numbers leave no confusion.
    Hendrix is on a mission so clear the decks!

55. Crystal&Hendrix

Crystal&Hendrix Member

Thank you :bighug:

56. Chris & China (GA)

You tested him again instead of just feeding and shooting and he was 91? Not that it matters now but you didn't need to test again....you had just tested when you got the 121. Stop confusing yourself (and us)….LOL

57. Crystal&Hendrix

Crystal&Hendrix Member

No my hearts pounding now I just fed him and gave him his shot cause I tested him not to long ago !!! Should I have tested him first! Oh no !!!! And yeah I’m super confused and anxious/worried right now. I feel bad that you guys are confused too. I bet I’m the first to confuse the heck out of you guys like this LOL his last test was 6.7(121) I believe and I didn’t test him again cause I tested him not to long ago I just fed and shot.

Wait sorry I think that was a reply to something I said way earlier. My brains EVERYWHERE right now

I’m going to go check my meter and see what his actual last test was before I fed and shot I swear it was 121 one second

Chris & China (GA) likes this.
  58. Chris & China (GA)

NO you didn't need to test again....that's why I was confused about this statement "I will be sure to do that he’s at 91ish right now"

59. Crystal&Hendrix

Crystal&Hendrix Member

I don’t blame you Chris for being confused I’m so sorry. Yeah his last test was at 1023 and it was 121

60. Chris & China (GA)

No worries....one day we'll look back and laugh...maybe not today, but some day...LOL

61. Crystal&Hendrix

Crystal&Hendrix Member

Lol oh we definitely will, I know it. I still laugh now but inside I’m crying hahah!! I just feel horrible how messed up his times got and how confused I made everyone *slaps forehead*

62. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Have you got a +1 yet?
    Can you change the subject line to something like PMPS 121 +1 ? So it is current. Thanks

63. Chris & China (GA)

64. Crystal&Hendrix

Crystal&Hendrix Member

Hi you guys!!! Don’t worry I’m still awake I’m going to test him now!! Just give me a few moments and I’ll let you know :bighug:

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  65. Crystal&Hendrix

Crystal&Hendrix Member

Chris & China (GA) likes this.
  66. Bron and Sheba (GA)

67. Chris & China (GA)

Good deal!!

I'd grab a +4 if you're up to staying up (or setting an alarm) but I think it's going to be a nice safe cycle tonight (don't make me a liar, Hendrix!)

68. Chris & China (GA)

Can you tell we're actually the same person with 2 heads?....LOL

69. Crystal&Hendrix

Crystal&Hendrix Member

Yes of course :) or I will just stay up I’m not that tired yet anyways just my brain is

70. Crystal&Hendrix

Crystal&Hendrix Member

:D:pLOL!!!

71. Bron and Sheba (GA)

:joyful::joyful::joyful:

72. Crystal&Hendrix

Crystal&Hendrix Member

73. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Yes you can give him a snack.
    I think you could go to bed now. I don’t think he will drop too much more tonight.
    Just leave a snack out for him to eat a bit later.

74. Crystal&Hendrix

Crystal&Hendrix Member

Thank you, I will be sure to give him some food and leave some out for him. And sleep sounds so good right now! :woot:

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  75. Crystal&Hendrix

Crystal&Hendrix Member

@Chris & China (GA) @Bron and Sheba (GA) I didn’t know if I should start a new thread or not but I tested Hendrix 30 mins early for his 10am shot just in case so it would be his +11 and his BG is 155.

I will re test soon, feed him and give him his shot. Just thought I’d keep you updated :)