2/18 Tuscany - VET update

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by joyce-tuscany(GA), Feb 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joyce-tuscany(GA)

joyce-tuscany(GA) Well-Known Member

yesterday: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6622

Today's number recap:
    amps: 196
    +5 : 143
    +7 : 193 (at vet's)
    +9 : 211
    pmps: 274 (increase to f1.5)
    +4 : 159

Vet visit: Can't find the note I took while talking to vet on phone. She felt that Tuscany had increased weakness from before - some more in both back legs but new left front (walking flat onto "wrist" now). She agreed that there was head tilt present, no nystagmus. Other than that the only thing she found was that the left ear drum was red and inflammed looking. She thinks that there is a chance that much of this could be related to a middle/inner ear issue. She thinks beyond that we would need to consider seeing a neurologist - who of course would want to use anesthesia and do ct or mri of cat. (Not that we are opposed to that but at Tuscany's age, other health issues, etc - don't think we'd do anything different with possibly having more of an actual diagnosis).

The vet did run blood and was pleased by the numbers: BUN - improved from a 44 to now 35. Creat was 3.0 before - now 3.1. Phosphorus nice and normal at 4.4. Her cbc looked good other than a minimal decrease in her WBC which she has had before. Her weight on the vet scale did differ from ours - #11.4 - which is down 9 oz from ? October visit.

Of course her first choice in medicine to try would have been steroids but she wants to try to avoid them for obvious reason - but it might be something we may still have to try.
    At this point in time we are trying some options for the ear: Baytril for possible infection (she has tolerated in past very well, is a topical. She vomits with clavamox). We are also using topical Cyproheptadine as a antihistamine and we are using a ear drop which does have some steroid in a sulfa base.

Now - I was such an IDIOT tonight - I am kicking myself big time. The 2 topical meds - I received 2 syringes in one box, 1 syringe in the other box. The boxes look identical in size/color. The meds in the syringes are identical in color and in amount in syringe. I very carefully applied the left ear medicine and put it away (thinking to self I should write on syringe what this is.....), used the rt ear medicine and put it into wrong box - realizine right away but of course too late now to distinquish it. SO - I will need to call vet in am and buy more of each drug - IDIOT that I am. I can't take the chance since they are different doses of different meds. I am going to suggest to them that they need to be putting a label on syringe also so mix-ups don't occur like this. GERRR. I thought I was being careful but am very tired from full day work and some jet lag.

Anyways - need to go to bed. Tuscany seems to be doing a little better - not quite as wobbly - but I think the way she is walking on the left front leg is worse. Keep your fingers crossed and vines coming that she improves (and maybe throw a vine or two in there for idiot tired bean)

2. Dawn & Nova

Dawn & Nova Well-Known Member

Just wanted to say, I hope Tuscany feels better :(..

Also don't be so hard on yourself... the vet really should have labeled them for you.. I think you have enough going on without having to worry about different medications that look exactly the same!

3. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I was waiting to see your note. I hope the ABs help.

4. Nina and KB

Nina and KB Well-Known Member

Poor little girl, hope she feels better quickly. Is she on any arthritis supplements or meds, would they help?

5. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

aww poor tuscany .. hope the meds make her feel better!

6. Amy and Pedro

Amy and Pedro Member

Feel better Tuscany - hope the inner ear clears up.

You are certainly not an idiot. Vet's office should clearly mark these things.
    But stuff like this is always upsetting and just make you more diligent in the future.

7. Roni and Moonie

Roni and Moonie Well-Known Member

((((Joyce))) So upset at Tuscany's health issue!! You know Copper, my civvie, had an echo cardio. recently at the vet's by a mobile cat scan unit--3 animals got cat scan, echo, & sonogram---No animals were sedated !!...He got his cardiogram, was held by vet tech, & it took 15 minutes, we waited for him!!
    He was fine, maybe they have that where you live??
    I feel That Tuscany's issues could be related to possible neuropathy(Moonie's improved, but never resolved), and the ear problem--
    We here are sending Healing vines & prayers, healing & hugs to our friend Tuscany!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.