? 2/19/18 amps 343 Diamond Help

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by krazy4kritters, Feb 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. krazy4kritters

krazy4kritters Member

Hi, my name is Nicole and I am getting frustrated and need some help and advice on what is going on with my sugar baby. I believe I posted on this forum once before but I am unsure how to fina and/or link it to the top of this post. I guess that is question #1. I should have probably jumped on here sooner. I apologize, this may end up being a lengthy post. I'll start with a little background info on him and the beginning of Diamond's Dx.
    Diamond is a large boy. He was about 13 lbs at one yr old and didn't stop growing until he was about 18 months. By the time he was 2 1/2 he was 24 lbs and over weight. His top weight was 27 lbs. To be clear though his frame is big. Imagine an average size empty laundry basket. He will take up the whole bottom if he would lay on his tummy with paws tucked in. I have never been able to get good advice from his veterinarians on weight loss. I came across Dr. Lisa's web site about 4-5 yrs ago and really wanted to start making my own cat food but never did (kicking myself now). I mentioned it to one of the vets at the clinic. She had heard of Dr. Lisa but wasn't very supportive of me trying to make my own food. The only diet recommendations have been to look for a dry food with 150-200 kcal/cup. Grrrr
    Before Dx I fed dry in am and canned pm. Now everybody (5) are on only canned. Honestly Diamond never ate that much. I know the vets think I'm nuts. Diamond is a scardey cat. I am basically the only one who can touch him. He hides all day long. He has never been a kibble grazer even when I free fed dry kibble. Thankfully he eats almost any canned food without complaint.
    I feel like the 2 vets I saw during his Dx visits left me out in right field. I knew he had diabetes when I took him in. I was alerted when one morning he was walking very funny. Yup, neuropathy. I did tons of research looking for causes of this unusual gait and knew what was up. Although the vet didn't believe me. Actually, he was pretty certain it wasn't. He had never seen a cat present with neuropathy. Alas, blood confirmed what I already new.he is not a hang in the bowl drinker. I've actually only seen him drink like two times recently. He does pee a ton. I figured it was because he is the size of a small dog and only went once maybe twice a day.
    I took Diamond into vet on a Monday. Talked to vet in person about blood work on a Wednesday. I told him I wanted to home test. I don't think he would have suggested it. He suggested 3 diff insulin but recommend Lantus if I could afford. I had to bring him in for urinalysis to confirm Dx that Thursday. Different vet. I told her I wanted to home test and even brought my stuff along when I went to pick Diamond up and learn how to shoot. She told me I could find videos on the internet about home testing. I wasn't told when I should bring him back for a check up or anything. She just told me I should not adjust his dose on my own. HA!
    Anyway, his neuropathy is really, bad and getting worse. It has started to effect his front legs now. I have him on Zobaline. He can hardly get from point A to B.
    I really need help getting his BG under control. I've read about the SLGS.
    Please take a look at his SS. Is there any way to fast track dosing maybe? Maybe I should try Lev?
    I would also like to note I've noticed a personality change in him within the last week or so. He is way more mellow now. Too mellow.
    Sorry this is soo long.
    ~Nicole

2. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

Welcome, Nicole and Diamond! :bighug:

It looks like you are off to an excellent start! Awesome job testing at home, reading up on SLGS, being informed and testing for ketones! Diamond is very lucky to have you in his corner. I hope he will be well on his way to feeling better soon.

What is your work situation like? Is there any way you can get a couple more tests in am cycles and continue to get at least one in the pm? Even if they are +1 and or +10/+11 in the day, it would help fill in more blanks. With dry food out of the picture and if you could get a couple more tests in, you could do TR, which allows for more frequent dose increases. Looks like Diamond needs an increase for sure.

Nothing wrong with vet shopping until you find one you feel you click with and will be a good partner with you for the diabetes journey. I’m on vet number 3 since diagnosis and we finally found a winner! It makes such a difference to feel supported by your vet and have all the great people and resources here. :cat:

3. krazy4kritters

krazy4kritters Member

I can definitely get more day tests. I currently work 2-3 days a week now. I think I originally wanted to try TR. But then I only started with the 1u. How do I switch to TR and when would you suggest I do?
    Thanks ~Nicole

4. Stacy & Asia

You don't have to do anything special, if you want to switch, you can just switch and start with where you are at. I only suggested a switch because if you can do it, TR allows for more frenquent dose increases in the beginning.

He's been on this dose for 10 cycles and still in high numbers, you would increase to 1.5 units either tonight, or tomorrow morning if you'd rather do it on a day cycle. Read the TR sticky and familiarize yourself with it as best you can. You would re-evaluate the dose after 3 days (6 cycles) and the data you collect will let you know to hold the dose a little longer, or increase.

Have you put together a hypo toolkit? It's handy to have all the supplies you need in advance of you needing them.

It's also a good idea to post once a day with a brief update of how Diamond is feeling and ask any questions you have, that way others can familiarize themselves with you and your cat, and you can learn a lot reading other condos and viewing other SSs.

krazy4kritters likes this.
  5. krazy4kritters

krazy4kritters Member

I have most of the stuff for a hypo kit but need to gather together in one spot.
    Another question: what brand syringes do you use. I bought a box of Easy Touch from the pet pharmacy. But, the whole unit and 1/2 unit lines are one after another in a row. It was very hard for me to see what line I should be drawing to. I bought a box of ReliOn the other day because the vet showed me how to shoot with them and I knew the lines were staggered. However, I keep getting air bubbles with these. I really do not like shooting insulin into the drain.

6. Stacy & Asia

I'm not familiar with those syringes, are they u100? Can you post a photo of the box and syringe?

These are the ones I use:

https://www.adwdiabetes.com/product/6941/bd-ultra-fine-insulin-syringes

Air bubbles are a fact of life over here, I've found ways to make them less problematic, and I don't waste much insulin. I started out with monojects, but they didn't have half unit markings, so I've been using the BDs ever since.

7. krazy4kritters

krazy4kritters Member

Attached Files:

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  8. Stacy & Asia

Okay, those are fine, just wanted to make sure they were the right size. Some people end up with u100 insulin and the wrong syringes.

9. ziggywolf3

ziggywolf3 New Member

So there's no hope for no air bubbles .I constantly get them with Lantus. I thought it was me. And I've filled many syringes with insulin for humans and testosterone for my bf. Thank you,i feel better. Do you pull back on syringe before you inject.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.