2/23 Mandarin AMPS 309 - back on the juice, dosing question

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Mandarin'sMom, Feb 23, 2019.

1. Mandarin'sMom

Mandarin'sMom Well-Known Member

Last condo

I think Mandarin is just not meant to ever come off the juice permanently. :arghh: I already figured that this would happen when I started seeing more blues, but yesterday's and today's numbers made it crystal clear that I need to put him back on Insulin.

I gave him 0.25 units this morning, but I am not really sure if that is a good starting point. Since he hasn't been without Insulin for very long, should I just count this as a failed reduction and start super low? Or do I base the starting dose on his weight? He weighs about 13 pounds (and could stand to lose a pound or two)... or do I just do something like 0.25 or 0.5? I am home to monitor today and tomorrow.

...and I think I am just going btb to feel sorry for myself. After 4 years of organizing my life round insulin and testing schedules, these last few weeks have been amazing and it was so nice to finally be able to go out to dinner at normal times and not have to worry about running home in between classes every day. :arghh::arghh::arghh:

Giomax likes this.
  2. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Oh Mandarin what happened? Maybe he doesn't want you to have a life without worrying.

Mandarin'sMom likes this.
  3. Mandy & Rex (GA)

Mandy & Rex (GA) Well-Known Member

Mandarin! Now Walter won't have a buddy at the falls.

I'm sorry to hear this. How is he, health-wise?

4. Tasha & Darwin

Tasha & Darwin Well-Known Member

Aww sorry to hear that Mandarin is back on the juice - hope he is feeling well!

5. Mandarin'sMom

Mandarin'sMom Well-Known Member

He seems to be feeling just fine. He is active and playful, has a good appetite and is not acting like he is in any pain. In other words, I doubt that there is a medical reason.

Walter has been having some hairball issues the last few days, so I am still hopeful that his higher numbers are connected to that and that he is not planning on following Mandarin's example.

6. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

Oh no, sorry to hear that he's back on the juice.
    I'm guessing you're certain he's not got into any contraband?
    He may need more, I don't really understand how to work it out when kitty is coming back on to the juice.
    But you could see how the 0.25u works out and fast track him if necessary. That's what I did , I probably started a bit low, but just watched the numbers and fast tracked until he got moving in the direction I wanted him to.

7. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm sorry Mandarin needs insulin again. I don't know what the best starting dose it. I hope he won't need it very long.

8. Shoeskitty-GA

Shoeskitty-GA Well-Known Member

Oh no Christina! So sorry to hear this!

9. Jill & Scooter

Jill & Scooter Well-Known Member

So sorry Mandarin had to get back on the juice! It must be very disappointing!

10. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Mandarin, did you miss the juice? Christina: I'm sorry that he is back on the juice. I think the .25U is a good place to start. It's more than the drop he was on before OTJ, but it will take a few days to rebuild the depot and by then you should be able to see whether it is too much or too little.

I'm sorry you have to modify your new-found freedom. :bighug::bighug::bighug: