2/23 Max PMPS 443; +4 409

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Giomax, Feb 23, 2019.

1. Giomax

Giomax Member

Not the greatest day today in terms of numbers but hopefully tomorrow will be a better day.

Max hasn't vomited since he's been on the Cerenia, which is a big relief for me. I've been giving him 4mg every 24 hrs. How long am I allowed to do that for? I'm afraid to take him off of it. Also, the buprenex I'm giving every 12 hrs. The vet gave me Gabapentin to supplement (to dose in-between Buprenex doses I think she said) but is it really safe to stack pain meds like that? She said we're going to "treat his symptoms aggressively" for the next few weeks.

Smelly poops! Max's poos are softer than usual and smell awful. My roommate is starting to complain, haha. I clean the box often and have washed my sheets (dirty paws!) and litter mat twice this week. Is it the pancreatitis that's causing all this ruckus? I got a powdered probiotic to give him once a day and I switched his food as well. He was getting FF/Friskies but the FF Chunkies have an odd smell as it is and he doesn't like the texture. I got him some Purina ProPlan (all LC) to see if it makes any difference. I know he certainly likes the taste better.

2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

They used to think you could not give cerenia for more than 5 days and then take two days off but not any more. It’s safe to give as long as needed. When Max had pancreatitis the first time he was getting ondansetron and cyproheptadine for over two months. I later learned his dose of ondansetron wasn’t enough for him and when increased was able to stop cyproheptadine (appetite stimulant). Whenever the nausea returned I gave him the meds until he was normal for a week and gradually reduced the time in between doses to see if all was still good. If I stoppedto early I only had to resume. I think your vet is right to treat aggressively. Is he getting something for the loose stool too?

Have you tried the fancy feast pates? Max liked the liver and chicken and turkey and giblets. Both are low carb.

3. Giomax

Giomax Member

Yes, he got bored of the classic patés! :(

4. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Yes treat aggressively. Don't be to quick to stop meds, it can cause a relapse which can be worse and take longer to heal. I give Ollie her bupre at +2 for both cycles and gab at +6 both cycles. I would do 6 hr & 6 hr but Ollie gets her benazepril and renew probiotic with her breakfast and dinner.

Giomax likes this.
  5. Giomax

Giomax Member

So they are safe to stack?

6. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

What do you mean by stack?

7. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

He probably develop food aversions from eating while nauseous. It happens. You might need to try foods he’s never eaten before or an appetite stimulant. :bighug:

8. Giomax

Giomax Member

Use two different pain meds at the same time.