2/24 Mandarin AMBG 62, +3 56, +7 43?!?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Mandarin'sMom, Feb 24, 2019.

1. Mandarin'sMom

Mandarin'sMom Well-Known Member

Yesterday's condo

After I spent the last 24 hours being upset that Mandarin came out of remission yet again and feeling incredibly sorry for myself, I am starting to wonder if I should have given him another day or two before starting him back on Insulin.

@Gill & George Maybe you were right about Mandarin getting into contraband somehow. I didn't think that that was possible since I am also the proud mom of a dog that literally eats anything that even resembles food. But maybe Jersey somehow missed a few crumbs. The only strange thing is that his numbers had been creeping up for a few days before he spiked into the 300s.

Or maybe the 0.25 units was just too much and he dropped really low overnight (even though his +3 didn't seem to indicate that he was about to take a dive).

Either way, I skipped his shot this morning and will get a few more tests today. Meanwhile, poor Walter is still trying to hack up a hairball. He does that every couple of months and it seems like it takes him a few days to get it out. His AMBG was still a bit higher than I would like it, but I am still thinking it's the hairball.

Good thing I was planning on staying home today anyways.

Shoeskitty-GA likes this.
  2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Hopefully it was just a blip and Mandarin won't need more insulin. Glad you can stay home with him and see what he does.

Mandarin'sMom likes this.
  3. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

Hope Mandarin gets back off very soon
    Beautiful number amps

4. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Maybe Mandarin just had an off day. Nice number either way.

5. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

Is it possible that the formulation in their regular food may have changed? We've seen that be an issue in the past.....

6. Shoeskitty-GA

Shoeskitty-GA Well-Known Member

Hope that the 300 was just a blip or bad strips, etc. and Mandarin is back to OTJ!

7. Judy and Boomer

Judy and Boomer Well-Known Member

I totally missed yesterday's condo!
    Mandarin's numbers seemed to be creeping up a wee bit before the sudden jump a couple of days ago. Any chance he needs a dental or has an infection?

8. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

I had no idea Mandarin was on the juice again. I was thinking the same thing as Judy, a bad tooth, or something?

Maybe he is going to be one of those kitties that need an occasional shot of insulin. I remember Jill talking about it on a thread a while back. Hope he's straightens up and flies right! :bighug:

9. Mandarin'sMom

Hm, good question. I started giving some Tiny Tiger Pates in addition to their regular Friskies and FF (since Chewy has such a good deal on them and they seem to have much better ingredients) - but they are supposed to be low-carb.

@Judy and Boomer and @Bobbie And Bubba Mandarin used to have lots of problems with resorptive lesions at a very young age and after several dentals with extractions, his vet eventually pulled all of his remaining teeth last year. He hasn't had any problems since and his gums look really good.

10. Bobbie And Bubba

hmmmm..... starting to look like high carbs he got into ; did you give the Tiny Tiger Pates today? Or constipation? Or he's just one of those kitties who needs an occasional shot of insulin........

Giomax likes this.
  11. Giomax

Giomax Member

Mandarin, we are getting some very mixed messages. Pls clarify, thx.

12. Bobbie And Bubba

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
    Reason for edit: ETA
    Giomax and Mandarin'sMom like this.
  13. Mandy & Rex (GA)

Mandy & Rex (GA) Well-Known Member

@Bobbie And Bubba, where's the link?

Tiny Tiger Chicken pate is closer to 10% carb, I think. The fish is lower. I don't know about the beef.

14. Bobbie And Bubba

Yeah, I just realized I didn't link the link. :oops:

Giomax likes this.
  15. Mandarin'sMom

That's really interesting - I don't remember ever hearing this before. Mandarin's most recent numbers are a bit more extreme, but it sure seems like we have been going back and forth between tiny doses and no Insulin lately. That would be great if he just needs an occasional shot, that would certainly be much easier than putting him back on the juice for good.

Constipation could certainly be a part of it. With multiple cats, I have no idea who is doing what. And Mandarin in particular likes his privacy in the box.

Giomax likes this.
  16. Bobbie And Bubba

I know, I had the same problem until Forrest decided he wasn't pooping in the box no more......

Yes, it would be great if it were just constipation. I believe on that thread I sited some dates for Bubba too to show when he was constipated and what it did to his numbers.

It is really curious with Mandarin as he only had 2 cycles of .25 which shouldn't be enough to fill in a depot . Fingers and Paws crossed that he won't be staying on the juice.

upload_2019-2-24_14-4-43.png

17. Mandarin'sMom

Apparently, Mandarin is really trying to make a point now with that 43. I am just glad that I only gave him 0.25 u yesterday. :eek:

18. Judy and Boomer

Judy and Boomer Well-Known Member

Mandarin, please stay a bit further away from those toofy things!