2-27-20 Snickers PMPS=325, +2=592, +4=560, +6=588

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by SingsToCats, Feb 27, 2020.

1. SingsToCats

SingsToCats Member

I stayed up late to get Snickers' nighttime numbers. This is with a Relion meter, we just switched. His spreadsheet is for Alphatrak, I'll have to start a new one.

Is this "bouncing" or is it normal? I was planning on raising his insulin soon, but now I don't know what to do.

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  2. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Still some pretty high numbers there. Great job on getting those late night readings.

How long before you can transition him off the Purina DM dry? It is also likely adding to those higher numbers.

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  3. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

You don’t need to start a new SS if you swap to a human meter.
    Just draw a thick coloured line across the page of the SS and write in it
    SWITCHED TO RELION METER
    then start recording the BG numbers from the ReliOn under that line.
    You will need to change the alphatrak to a ReliOn at the top of the SS where it says type of meter and also change the meter type in your Signature so that we are all aware you have changed over to a human meter.

Do the set up first, then we can see the colours in the SS. Can you get a curve done? then you can increase.
    Are you having any luck changing the food over. A lower carb diet would help Lower the numbers.
    Keep trying to get some pm BG numbers.

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  4. SingsToCats

SingsToCats Member

Thanks for the replies. He's eating more canned food now, but he's very finicky. He also loves crunchy things, before this we would give him pieces of potato chip.

I don't know if I can do a full curve. Yesterday was the most tests I've ever been able to do.

I would like to be able to increase his dose soon. He seems to feel really bad today.

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  5. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Have you tried the "chip and dip" method?
    Take a few pieces, 6-8, of the dry food, dip them into the wet food. Put them on a plate for Snickers to eat.

Or sprinkle a few pieces of dry food on top of a bit of wet food.
    See if Snickers will eat a bit more wet food that way.

Have your tried a different flavor of wet food?
    My dry food addict cat loved the Fancy Feast Turkey & Giblets classic pate flavor. Or the Chicken & Liver flavor.

Or perhaps a different consistency or style of canned/wet/pouched food?
    Some cats like a more chunky or shredded consistency. Some like a bit of sauce or gravy on their wet food. There are low carb cat food options that still have a bit of that gravy consistency and would be ok for a diabetic cat.

Where do you live? We'll try to come up with other food ideas for you if you live outside of North America.

There is a lot of information in this document about Transitioning a Dry Food Addict to Canned Food
    I used every single tip and trick in there to get my finicky dry food addict to eat the canned food.

6. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Singstocats posted directly in the lantus forum. Did not stop at/ in the Feline Health (Welcome & Main) forum first for the first post as recommended.

So she/he may not know a lot of the basics.

Did not pass "Go", did not stop to collect $200.