2/27 Mandarin AMBG 161, +7 281, PMBG 318, +4 153 + Emma has vestibular disease

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Mandarin'sMom, Feb 27, 2019.

1. Mandarin'sMom

Mandarin'sMom Well-Known Member

Last condo

I don't even know what to say about Mandarin's numbers. He looked great for 2 days and now he is once again climbing higher and higher. I gave him a can of the Tiny Tiger food for his early Tuesday AM feeding (around 4 am or + 8), so I originally thought his AMBG was a result of that... but he is even higher now and this really shouldn't bee food-related anymore. It probably didn't help matters that I didn't get a chance to come home for lunch today and that he didn't have anything to eat for 7 hours... but this still really sucks.

Do I start him back up on Insulin? Give it another day?

...and to make matters worse, my senior foster dog, Emma, has vestibular disease. She was perfectly fine yesterday morning and when I came home from work, she had a head tilt, couldn't walk a straight line anymore and then started vomiting. She has refused food all day today. I just picked up some Cerenia and gave her the first dose. But there's apparently not much else you can do... other than wait for it to get better. I just feel awful for her.

2. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

Seems very odd. Is he getting into something??
    How is he?
    I would think about starting again, maybe try 0.1 seeing as the 0.25 had such a strong reaction?

Sorry about yEmma. Poor thing sending vines.

eta
    I would perhaps run a curve before starting

Mandarin'sMom likes this.
  3. Osha

Osha Well-Known Member

Mandarin, what are you doing? Please bring it back down.

Sending vines to Emma. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

4. Judy and Boomer

Judy and Boomer Well-Known Member

Oh Mandarin.....come on back to the lagoon!
    Sending more vines to Emma!

5. Mandarin'sMom

He seems to be feeling great. Active, playful, good appetite - if anything, I’d say he's actually been more playful lately. And for the life of me, I can’t figure out what he might have gotten into. I really don’t get it. He once again made it into the 300s and then dropped to 153 without any insulin.

Emma is still refusing to eat and threw up shortly after I gave her the Cerenia. She also got Bonine tonight which is supposed to make her feel less dizzy and nauseous as well. And that has stayed in her stomach so far. It’s just killing me to watch her like this. I couldn’t even bring myself to walk my other dogs. She LOVES her daily walk and I didn’t want her to feel left out.

6. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I hope Mandarin's numbers come back down soon. Sending prayers for Emma. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

7. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

How about trying a different food with Mandarin? Maybe there was a change in the formula. Any chance your kitty needs a dental? It's the one of the things that can throw a cat out of remission.

Having just had a bout of vertigo, I can relate to Emma. Look up the Epley maneuver and see if you can adapt it to a dog.

8. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Christina, I am so sorry to hear about Emma. I don't know anything about vestibular disease, and I hope the medications help her to feel better. It's hard to resume normal activity with the rest of the gang when one is not well.

Mandarin, well since all his teeth have been removed, that is off the table. Maybe he is going to be one of those kitties that gets an occasional shot of insulin. Could something have stressed him out? I think I would start him back on a small dose.

9. Mandy & Rex (GA)

Mandy & Rex (GA) Well-Known Member

My friend's dog recently had a bout with vestibular disease. It was horrible, watching him stumble and fall all over. It took him about 2 weeks before he was well again.

Good luck figuring what the heck is going on with Mandarin.

10. Camille and Cyclone

Camille and Cyclone Well-Known Member

One of my GA cats had a bout of vestibular disease. Poor thing could barely stand, her eyes kept going back and forth, and she refused food and water. The vet said it would just take time for her to recover, so I isolated her in the bedroom where she stayed curled up in a kitty condo, and syringed water and the juice from canned food a few times a day. After almost a week she improved and started eating a little, and two weeks after that she was jumping on top of the kitchen cabinets again.

11. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

Sienne, I have a question, probably a dumb one lol but I see this alot about the teeth
    What does the teeth have to do with diabetes, its probably something I should already know but I dont..thanks

12. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Teeth issues, a tooth ache or inflamed gums is enough to take a kitty out of remission. Pain and inflammation can raise the BG a lot. Just ask Bubba, twice a bad tooth took him out.

Gill & George and Bellasmom like this.
  13. Bellasmom

Thanks Bobbie, can any kind of pain take kitty out or just tooth problems

14. Mandarin'sMom

Pretty much any pain or any infection can mean a spike in numbers. Mandarin came out of remission twice because of dental problems and pancreatitis. His numbers are still all over the place today (I just haven't had a chance yet to update his spreadsheet). He was in the low 100s early this morning and in the high 100s by +5. At least he has avoided pinks and yellows for today (anti-jinx).

Emma finally stopped vomiting and ate a few bites of hamburger and rice. Her head tilt is still awful though. I have attached a picture of my poor little girl. She just breaks my heart.

That's what our vet told us too (well, minus the jumping on the kitchen cabinets). We are only giving Cerenia and Bonine to reduce nausea and dizziness, but it sounds like other than that it just take time.

Attached Files:

Bellasmom likes this.
  15. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

Bad teeth also took BFG out of remission last spring. Once he had his bad teeth removed and rest of them cleaned he hopped back OTJ

Bellasmom likes this.
  16. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

@Bellasmom --

Any source of stress -- pain, inflammation, infection -- cause a physiological reaction. The body releases stress hormones (i.e., corticosteroids). Steroids, whether given as a medication or released by our glands, result in a rise in BG.

Gill & George and Bellasmom like this.
  17. Bellasmom

Thank you!

18. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Poor Emma! I have had vertigo off and on for almost 40 years (things were knocked about in my inner ear as a result of a concussion when I was knocked down by a cyclist(!)). You just have to wait it out. I can control it by head positioning and it does not restrict my activities. I'm glad Emma stopped vomiting. She'll be OK soon and back enjoying her walks.

I hope Mandarin will get back on track and that you can figure out what the problem is. How fresh is your insulin?
    Vines for Emma and Mandarin.
    :bighug::bighug::bighug:s for you!

19. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Carol & Murphy (GA) Well-Known Member

Oh no, Christina!!! I haven't been on the board for a long time and just saw this.....
    I'm so sorry - really hope it is just some weird fluke and tomorrow she is all dark green
    and poor Emma. I remember how sweet she was when I met her - fingers crossed for her too
    :bighug::bighug::bighug::(:(:(