2/3/19 Groucho, new to this

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Donna & Groucho, Feb 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Donna & Groucho

Donna & Groucho New Member

Hello, my 14 yr Female,Groucho was dx Nov 18th. Frustrated that they wanted us to come back 1x a wk, I started doing some research and found Feline Diab FB page. Having a little background in the medical field, and a diabetic mother and husband I knew there had to be an easier way then coming back 1x a wk to the vet 25 miles away. I ditched the dry food and started her on Fancy Feast GRAVY, not realizing it till later it has to be PATE! So started us on Humulin 100, at 1 unit, but it didnt seem to be doing much. I went back to the vet after 2 wks and had bumped the dose up to 2 units. I even brought my meter in to make sure thier animal 1 was reading the same as my human 1. I increased her dose up to as high as 10, (not sure that was the right thing to do) but numbers didn't seem to change much. So I asked the vet to change us to Lantus, even though it wasn't going to be free anymore, that was on Dec. 12th? I started off I think with 5 units as Vet suggested. There was some change, even a really close to hypo # so I thought this might work. But I started 2nd guessing myself and was reading that giving too much insulin might make #'s go high too. So I've taken it down to 2.5 and waiting a week to see what happens. I have not done a curve on her but maybe 1 time, but spot checked at 6+ or 7+ as I read that is the nadair for Lantus. I'm just not confident I'm doing everything I need to be doing correctly! Maybe I should just start all over:(:arghh:

2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome Donna and Groucho. I'm so glad you found FDMB and can begin to learn more about Feline Diabetes and treatment. I suggest you visit the Lantus insulin forum and read through the yellow tagged info & stickies at the top of the page: HERE This is information you need so that you can begin to help get Groucho regulated and feeling better, and lessen your frustration.
    It would be very helpful if you would create your signature so that Groucho's pertinent info is available with each of your posts, it saves asking for the same information again. SIGNATURE
    Post in the Lantus forum so that the experienced Lantus users can begin providing some advice on where to go from here.
    When you have the time, also take a look at the FAQs forum for critically important Hypo information and be prepared in case you ever have to deal with an event. The Index has lots of valuable information that will help you go forward.
    Best wishes on your journey, you have the information and support you need here. :cat:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.