2/5 Asia AMPS 93, +1 132, +4 67, +5.5 94

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Stacy & Asia, Feb 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/2-4-asia-pmps-98-1-121-2-117-3-96-4-106.190675/

AMPS 93! 2 green preshots in a row, haven’t seen that in awhile. This in between dose really seems to be working out! Asia is happy and adorable, still eating like a hoover though!

Gave my first scruff shot last night, seeing if there is anything to it being a slower absorption site and hoping to use to my advantage on those early onset green preshot pm cycles. It went very well, no Karo, nothing dramatic, lots of surfing. Can’t say if it was because of the scruff shot or she would have done that anyway, but I will keep testing it out when it’s useful.

Toki is done with her pills! Yay! She puked another hairball today, has been doing that a few times recently. I’ve never had a cat with hairball issues (and Asia is a medium hair), I understand it’s never normal or okay for them to barf, even hairballs. Hopefully it will work out over time and is due to the GI issues as of late and the antibiotics and gut flora. In the meantime...hairball remedies and preventatives anyone?

2. Judy and Boomer

Judy and Boomer Well-Known Member

Nice to see those green PS numbers! :D:D

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  3. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

Nice start for Asia!

I wonder if Toki is barfing hairballs from whatever was bothering her belly last week? Just another random thought: did they check Toki's thyroid when she was in? My civvie, Frankie, started barfing hairballs, too, and she had never done that in her 14 years. It turned out to be from having HyperThyroid. She hasn't had a hairball since starting thyroid meds last year.

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  4. Alicia & Maggie (GA)

Alicia & Maggie (GA) Well-Known Member

Yay for green preshots!! That would be great if scruff shooting works to slow Asia's early drops. Yipee, for no more Toki pills!

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  5. Stacy & Asia

I'm guessing the hairballs and her GI issues are somehow related. I don't believe they checked her thyroid, only because it doesn't seem to be standard on whatever panel they run and they haven't done one for Asia yet who is old and high risk for that sort of thing. I will inquire about it, though I'd hate to have to take her to the vet for more blood work because they left something out, ugh. Maybe they can send someone over for that.

6. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Ask for the Senior Profile.

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  7. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Some of hairball remedies consist of mostly Vaseline , so one of our peeps here just gives a little dollop of Vaseline on her kitties paws and they will lick it off. She says it is effective.

I was having hairball issues last year with Bubba and it also came along with GI issues and continued. I started him on the egg yolk powder from Foodfurlife company and it has resolved. I don't that you can receive from them but they do have a recipe on their site to make your own. Let me know if you need it.

Stacy & Asia and MJW like this.
  8. MJW

MJW Well-Known Member

A while back, I started giving the civvies a shared eight or quarter of a hard boiled egg yolk once a day and it seemed to help with their hairball vomiting.
    I stopped it when I put them on raw food but I started it again this week as problems returned.

9. Bobbie And Bubba

The instructions from Foodfurlife is to start with a pinch, the next day a bigger pinch, next day a bigger pinch, until you have reached 1/4 tsp twice a day. They say too much egg yolk can cause vomiting.

Stacy & Asia and MJW like this.
  10. MJW

MJW Well-Known Member

Egg yolk is so full of water, I think I am giving way less than the powdered dose.

11. Bobbie And Bubba

Okay, I didn't think of it like that. You are probably right. I forgot just how long they cook that egg yolk to powderize ( is that a word?) it.

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  12. Stacy & Asia

I think I have to specifically ask for the T4 because it was not included in the senior panel for Asia. I guess it depends on the vet.

13. Stacy & Asia

I'm going to make that. I remember reading about it somewhere on here, but it didn't register to me it was for hairballs, it's for other things too, I'm guessing?

14. Stacy & Asia

Thanks, MJW, glad for a second vote on the egg yolks, going to try it out. How is Yum doing? I think about her a lot.

15. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Nice report for Asia. I'm glad you're done with Toki's pills. I hope you can figure out the hairball issue.

16. Bobbie And Bubba

Yep, from their website:

An Egg-ceptional Superfood for Your Pet’s Best Health
    • Supports Healthy Skin & Shiny Coat
    • Supports Healthy Cognitive Function
    • Helps Prevent Dementia in Aging Pets
    • Aids in Hairball Prevention
    • Benefits Gastrointestinal Motility

It has kept Bubba from being constipated since we started and stopped the hairball issue. Right after we started he had 2-3 more hairball incidences and then it stopped. I also give it to my civvie for all the same reasons.

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  17. Stacy & Asia

Major epiphany, thanks to the little piggy syndrome as of recent. She had a 67 at +4, I decided I wasn't going to give Karo and just see what happens if I fed her and she ate it all at one sitting. Normally, she would likely have gone below 50 in the next hour. I tested 30 minutes later after she ate a portion of food all at once...85! Unless she is going back up right now or starting a bounce, that means a food bump and potential for future surfing from her normal food. :woot: What an amazing discovery! I guess the nibble here and there, even though she eventually ate all the food, but it would take her about an hour, just wasn't enough in the early parts of a cycle to combat falling numbers.

If this is true, I have to rework her entire feeding schedule, but what a load more predictability it would give me. I hope the piggy stuff isn't a symptom of anything other than she's feeling a lot better than she has in a while. This is huge.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.