2/5 Mr. Kitty Vacation ? - Having a slight panic attack

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Sara and Mr. Kitty, Feb 4, 2020.

1. Sara and Mr. Kitty

Sara and Mr. Kitty Member

Mr. Kitty 1/23/20

Hi everyone, we’re going on vacation next week for 7 days and wanted to ask your opinion on whether or not we should tell the new pet sitter to give the full dose of 1.5U or scale it back to 1.25U. Mr. Kit never misses a meal and we’ll have auto feeders, so he’ll have plenty of snacks throughout the day. He’s really low maintenance and I don’t think he’ll be stressed while we’re gone as long as he has his snacks. Also, should we tell her to skip shots if his preshots are below a certain number? The sitter is coming for a.m. and p.m times only. Am I missing anything else?

Thanks for your input!

2. AmandaE

AmandaE Well-Known Member

Hi Sara!

Usually we give a reduced dose for pet sitters so that our kitties stay safe while we’re away, you’re in a little bit of a different boat since your sitter will test but IMO since the sitter will only be there for AM and PM doses and won’t be sampling through the day, a reduced dose is best.

Typically to decide a vacation dose we ask for advice on what a good vacation dose would be 3 days before we leave, this is because:

1. We want to see how mr Kitty is doing on his current dose before recommending a vacation dose and

2. We want you to start the new dose before you leave to drain the previous doses depot and ensure that it will actually be a safe dose while you’re away

I recommend creating a post in 4 days with a question mark prefix titled along the lines of : help with vacation dose needed. :)

hope this helps :)

3. Sara and Mr. Kitty

Awesome advice - thank you!

AmandaE likes this.
  4. Sara and Mr. Kitty

Having a slight panic attack over here - just met the new pet sitter who I thought was familiar with testing BG, but she informed me today she’s never tested BG. She said she would but I don’t feel she was 100% comfortable even after I showed her how to do it so I’m concerned she won’t. What can I do? We have no family or close friends here and she is the only pet sitter I found comfortable giving insulin so we’re going to scale back Mr. Kit’s dose while we are cruising for 7 days and it’s stressing meowt!!! Also, she’s never seen a Lantus pen so I explained how there is no shaking, rolling, putting air or excess insulin back into the pen. I am going to leave a syringe filled with colored water to make sure she has the correct dose. Is there anything else diabetes wise I should mention to her? I’m typing out a detailed informational and instructions sheet for her to reference.

5. Sara and Mr. Kitty

I wanted to reply back to you after meeting the pet sitter for the first time, but I replied back to myself by mistake, lol! One day I will figure out how to reply correctly...please see below and let me know if you have any additional advice.

6. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Ask her to write down every blood glucose test result, date/time, etc. Tell her again how important it is. All you can do is 'trust' that she'll follow through. Better than no tests at all - even if it's just the occasional test - did you let her try it herself while you were there?

7. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

• Do a curve before you leave, several days before.
    • Print out (paper copy, hard copy, real paper) the hypo instructions and post them prominently for your cat sitter.
    • The hypo instructions have the hypoglycemic signs to watch for.
    • Leave a "letter of authorization" with your vet and at your home for the cat sitter to use, in case a vet visit is required.
    • Do the reduced vacation dose and let the Lantus "depot" drain.
    • Change the feeding schedule for your cat to what the cat sitter will be able to do on twice a day visits. At least several days before you leave, preferably a week.
    • Show your cat sitter how to test. You may be surprised.
    • Helped a young man from Argentina. Had him reduce dose by 1 full unit (went from 4U lantus to 3U). Using an insulin pen and no insulin syringes so could not do smaller reductions.
    • Have your cat sitter test the urine for ketones.
    • Made contingency plans in case the cat sitter saw hypo symptoms and knew directions to the regular vet and to an emergency after hours vet to take the cat to, just in case.
    • Cat sitter was not going to test originally.
    • Cat sitter did learn to test before Teo went on vacation.
    • Left instructions on when to skip the shot with low BG readings.
    • Cat sitter did a good job, and even did a curve.
    • Expect some fur shots.
    • Expect the BG levels to run higher.
    • Have your hypo kit ready and let the cat sitter know what to feed.
    • You could always temporarily have your cat eating higher carb food, or even some dry kibble while you are away.
    • Cat's don't always eat as well while their owners are away.

8. Adrienne & Molly (GA)

Adrienne & Molly (GA) Well-Known Member

I found a pet sitter to watch my Molly. Our vacation isn't til July. But I want to meet her first and get her and Molly comfortable with each other. She had a cat with diabetes (went into remission), So she's familiar with testing and shooting. She also volunteers at the SPCA so I was comfortable with that. Let me know how you make out with your pet sitter :). Enjoy your vacation

9. AmandaE

If she’s willing to learn I think it’s a good idea to teach her. Ask her to be completely honest with you on whether or not she thinks she will actually test while you’re gone and that the dose she will be giving will depend on that.

When I go on vacation I don’t have anyone willing to test Mowgli's BG for me so the vacation dose I give him takes that into account. I have done this a few times as have many other members here, every time Mowgli was fine when I returned, he got back on track in no time. Don’t stress if you have to give Mr Kitty a lower dose than he needs while you’re away, it’s still better that he gets something rather than nothing. I know it’s stressful but you have to live your life too! #catlifebalance :p

I think this is a really great idea, I do the same thing.

I am totally the type to leave notes too! I can pm you an example of a note that I have left for my sitters in the past if you want to use that as inspiration!

I agree with the points about making sure she can recognize a Hypo scenario As well as how to treat a hypo situation. In line with this same idea I would recommend leaving the location and contact information for the emergency vet in your area. (just in case)

One of the very good pieces of advice I got for vacation doses is to make sure the dose is on an actual syringe line so that it is easier for the sitter to measure.

don’t stress! It sounds like you’ve found a really good sitter if she is willing to give insulin AND open to learning how to test! You’re going to have an awesome vacation!!

LilTurkey and Sara and Mr. Kitty like this.
  10. Sara and Mr. Kitty

She did not try it herself but watched very closely as I went through each step.

11. Sara and Mr. Kitty

My previous pet sitter had a diabetic kitty as well and she was awesome! She recently moved 45 minutes away so unfortunately, we had to find another sitter. Her and I both volunteered at our local humane society too :)

Adrienne & Molly (GA) likes this.
  12. Sara and Mr. Kitty

Thank you for the extra encouragement! Yes, please pm your notes :) I typed out a detailed letter and contacted the vets office to leave a CC on file just in case. I think we have everything covered except the dosage, but I’m leaning towards lowering it to a number that‘s on an actual line on the syringe. She’s professionally licensed/bonded and has been in business for over 10 years - I’m just a freak about my babies!! Mr. Kitty seems excited for me to leave...extra food and less testing is a win win for him :cat:

LilTurkey likes this.
  13. Sarah and Blaze

Sarah and Blaze Well-Known Member

When I found my pet sitter, I showed her how to do everything, she took notes and I left her a binder of notes too AND I made videos for her too. I had my husband record everything we do and then sent all the videos to her. I had him record me taking everything out that I need to test, putting it all together, testing Blaze, how to use to auto feeder, and how to draw up and give insulin. She said it was super helpful to be able to go back and watch those videos.

14. Marc & Jen

Marc & Jen Member

When we go away, I also use a sharpie to mark the dose with a little line on all the syringes that the pet sitter will use so there is absolutely no confusion. She has told us that it is very helpful and it also makes me worry less (I always worry no matter what :().

AmandaE and Sarah and Blaze like this.
  15. AmandaE

THIS! is a very good idea that I never Thought of! I’m going to do this from now on!!!

Sarah and Blaze and Marc & Jen like this.