2/6 Silver AMPS 148 PMPS 180 +4=215

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Juliet, Feb 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Juliet

Juliet Guest

2. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Nice AMPS to start the day for Silver.
    Safe surf vines. Have a good day!

Juliet likes this.
  3. Juliet

Juliet Guest

As Silver’s numbers are coming down I need some help setting a no shoot number. Given that I know I’m shooting where he’ll be at +2 or 3 and that I can’t leave food out what should it be? Also given that these are lower numbers on the freestyle and I will grab a second test on the accucheck if it’s a green preshot in the morning. Thoughts anyone? I don’t want to mess up the depot by skipping but I also want to keep him safe.

4. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Nice start for Silver today. I hope he keeps surfing for you. I'm not sure about a no shoot number.

5. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

After you shoot in the AM, how much longer are you home for? If you can get a +2 to see how the cycle is going and if it's lower you can give him a little food and depending on how low would determine whether that food be LC or MC or HC.

6. Juliet

Juliet Guest

Unfortunately no time at all. I shoot and leave immediately.

7. Alicia & Maggie (GA)

Alicia & Maggie (GA) Well-Known Member

Safe surfing Silver!

Juliet likes this.
  8. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

3u is looking like a good dose for Silver. That is a good question on the AMPS. As you shoot low to stay low but then cats have a way of throwing out those curve balls. And just because you leave at a higher number doesn't mean he will not drop while you are gone.

I think this answer is really up to what you are comfortable with and how much you know Silver.

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  9. Juliet

Juliet Guest

The dropping when I am gone is out of my hands and not really what I was asking. I was asking advice re a no-shoot number, based on what his ss shows as I need to make that decision before I am faced with a low green AMPS. PMPS I have no concerns over as I can stay home in the evening to monitor. Given his usual patterns, he doesn't drop far and his curves have always been flat.

Nice blue day again today and likely as not, stayed in blues all day as his evening pattern is to stay in the same range. I have two long weekends coming up so will grab a couple day time tests as well to see for sure. This 3u is a good dose but likely not quite enough yet.

10. Tracey&Jones (GA)

However it is part of the answer - what do you feel comfortable with shooting knowing that you will not know how low he would go? There is no set rule on how far a cat will go on a given dose on a given day. I am telling you my logic to my final answer: I think this answer is really up to what you are comfortable with and how much you know Silver.

Some people shoot 90's, some shoot 80's, some shoot 70's.

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  11. Juliet

Juliet Guest

I was looking for direct advice given my circumstances. I guess I’m on my own with the decisions again.

12. Tracey&Jones (GA)

I wish I could, I know what I would do with Jones, but that may not work for Silver.

I hope someone with more experience will jump in and help you with your decision soon.
    I don't know, I think you have done very well standing on your own and done what was right for you and Silver.:)

PussCatPrince - GA likes this.
  13. carfurby (GA)

I feel the same way. I didn't really give advice because I'm not sure with your circumstances what will keep Silver safe. I know what will work for Furball, but not Silver. I agree you are doing a good job dealing with things and getting a handle on Silver's patterns. Maybe the two long weekends will help you figure out a good no shoot number. :bighug:

14. Juliet

Juliet Guest

I haven’t had a lot of choice. I have to stand on my own. I can’t help my circumstances and others take that to read I’m not taking advice so don’t jump in at all. I sometimes wonder why I bother posting really. I just hope I don’t come home to Silver in a hypoglycemic or worse state because my decision has been wrong.

15. carfurby (GA)

I know it's hard, but don't give up posting. I try to help when I can, but it's hard to give advice sometimes since you are not able to leave food out. That's not a criticism, but it's how I keep Furball safe. That makes it hard for me to give you advice on a no shoot number. You shot an 88 on Jan. 30th. Have you decided what your reduction number is going to be since he doesn't seem to hold reductions at 90?

Tracey&Jones (GA) likes this.
  16. Juliet

Juliet Guest

Sorry I’m getting confused with the numbers. I’m in Canada. I shot a 5.5 on Jan 22nd only because on the accucheck it wasn’t 5.5 but 8.2. Perfectly safe. I know Freestyle measure on the low side so when it’s low I will take a double check on the accucheck and make a decision from there. I figure I’ll just have to make the decision in the moment when I am faced with it. The 4.9 I shot was an evening preshot so not such a big issue as I am home to monitor/feed if necessary.

Re not holding reductions well - I don’t believe that reduction was earned as again, the 4.9 on the freestyle was higher on the accucheck and did not come under the reduction amount. Silver and I have been used to accucheck so in looking at trends I have to grab a test on both when faced with a low preshot to make an informed decision. I followed advice from you and @Tracey&Jones to take the reduction and that’s fine but it just meant he had to go back up again a few days later.

I don’t believe he will earn a reduction until I see a 5 or below on the accucheck.

I wish I had a choice on the no food out but I have no options there as previously explained and I am made to feel like a terrible bean for not being able to do so. Like I’m starving him for food during the day. He isn’t intuitive and wouldn’t think “oh I’m low I need food”. He’s a cat. Not that clever.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  17. Juliet

Juliet Guest

Ruined his blue streak....

18. Tracey&Jones (GA)

This was my main concern when you asked for a no shoot number. I would feel absolutely horrified if I did something to Jones, I am not sure if I could handle it if I gave advice and found out that their cat was hurt because of it. It isn't that I don't want to help...

I think at that point it was very confusing, so we went down as per the strategy of SLGS. You did the right thing until things settled out and the picture was clearer. I agree as it not so much a failed reduction as more of a learning curve time.

He is just over yellow...will be back down to green in no time.

19. Juliet

Juliet Guest

You mean back down to blue. He’s not been in greens more than twice.

Tracey&Jones (GA) likes this.
  20. PussCatPrince - GA

PussCatPrince - GA Well-Known Member

Ach ! What are you like .

Us being us, sometimes I think because of the way we write or our British use of language can make it seem that we are closed to what is said to us , when we are not. It is simply our use of language differs quite a bit to other places like the USA or Canada and also New Zealand for that matter, so sometimes things are misunderstood or misconstrued. I know this. I am frequently right there in the smelly.
    Being blunt or to the point translates differently in different countries.

Anyway. You need to keep on posting . End of .

Totally get the right / wrong decision thing. I had that over my Dad . The thing is, we all just have to make the best decisions we can at the given time & then live with that best we can. That's always tough.

FWIW. I think you actually ask for lots of opinions and thoughts to come in and then you go and weigh all that against what you can see and experience on the home front. You actually make strong decisions on that and like that with the little that you have.

Silver has a great person in you.

Juliet likes this.
  21. Juliet

Juliet Guest

Thank you - yes, being British you would get it. :bighug:

PussCatPrince - GA likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.