2/7 Noodle PMPS 240 +5.75 41 +6 47 +6.5 54 +7 62 +7.5 59 +8.5 68

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Patricia & Noodle, Feb 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Patricia & Noodle

Patricia & Noodle Well-Known Member

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...-295-5-25-231-pmps-164-5u-2-149-4-145.132658/

Wish I could have gotten the +6 I wanted last night, but my body had other plans. Thanks for keeping an eye out @Vyktors Mum !

She's working on her campaign for Clean Plate Club President now and I think I'll give her the .75U reduction she earned the other night and hold steady there for a few cycles to try to get her evened out.

I've got a 20 mile training run today and when I get back, my roommate & her cat should be mostly moved out and Noodle can leave "jail" later! Yay!

2. Vyktors Mum

Vyktors Mum Well-Known Member

You're welcome. Good plan with the dosing, I meant to say something about doing that in your yesterday :) but I had a little nana nap this afternoon and forgot :oops:

20 miles are you crazy, just the thought of doing that makes me feel like another nap! Yay on Noodle getting her space back - she will be pleased!

3. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

a 20 mile "training" run??? What the heck are you training for??

OK now Noodle...you be good now today while you're mamabean is out running and when she gets back, you'll get out of solitary confinement sometime today!! Woo Hoo!!

Surf safe Noodle!

4. Patricia & Noodle

Little high still, but she's still being affected by "no shot Thursday," correct? I want to get a later reading or two before PMPS to see what her BG does in the +7-10 hours.

5. Patricia & Noodle

A marathon :) I'm what I like to describe as a "fairly serious runner." Only fairly serious because I run with people much more serious than I am, which is scary!

6. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Yes....plus you only gave .5 last night

Lantus craves consistency, so we need to find a dose you can give every 12 hours ..hopefully the .75 will be a good dose for her

Since you skipped 2 doses, it may take a little time to get her "back in the groove"

Lantus is also dosed based on how low it takes them, not the pre-shot number, so while we all understand it can be scary to shoot when their Pre-shot numbers are lower, it's important to do it if at all possible...and we'll be here to hold your hand!

Don't forget to keep your spreadsheet updated :)

7. Patricia & Noodle

Yeah I plan on sticking with the .75U for as many cycles as I can.

Haven't forgotten my spreadsheet, my laptop is occupied trying to get my new router working!

8. Patricia & Noodle

Just surfing along here, though I much prefer the blues from last night! She's picking a new spot to lay in every 20 minutes, looking very unimpressed she's not free yet! I also had two very good tests today, no complaints and she stayed still until I rubbed her pads with neosporin and gave her a treat.

Question about paw pad testing: I've been using her back paws almost exclusively. Is this ok? I worry that it might be more painful or sensitive than the ears somehow.

9. Patricia & Noodle

End of cycle dip, I suppose? Glad to have a number like this to shoot. Makes me feel better going to a birthday party later!

Shot a half hour late tonight, she vomited a little at the beginning of her dinner so we had to go verrryyyy slow to try to keep it down. Not showing any signs she doesn't want to eat, maybe just eating a little to fast at the beginning of her PM meal. I'll give her a snack later in the day tomorrow and see if it helps her pace herself better.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
  10. Patricia & Noodle

+5.75 - 41

Shot .75U tonight, she's eaten a full 3oz LC since PMPS, just fed 1 tsp HC + LC

She ate it all really fast already.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
  11. Patricia & Noodle

+6 - 47
    Another 1tsp HC and LC

Today's Numbers:
    AMPS 350
    +5.75 275
    +8 270
    +10.25 315
    PMPS 240
    +5.75 41

12. Tiger(GA) and Ruth

Tiger(GA) and Ruth Well-Known Member

Do you have Karo syrup or honey around?

13. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Looks like you've got the routine down! *sigh*

14. Patricia & Noodle

I have Karo. I have a couple cans of gravy as well.

15. Patricia & Noodle

She wants to eat more than the tsp of each, any harm allowing?

Is this just a part of her bouncing from the inconsistent doses this week you think?

16. Tiger(GA) and Ruth

Good! Test 30 min after the last time you fed her.
    Didn't you post that she was vomiting earlier this afternoon?

17. Patricia & Noodle

She threw up once at the very beginning of dinner, maybe after eating 1/4 of a 3oz can. She ate the rest of the can and then some before I shot a half hour late.

18. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

The steering instructions say 1-2 teaspoons, so 2 should be OK.
    If GI upset could be an issue, spread the food around the plate so it slows down her eating a tad.

19. Tiger(GA) and Ruth

Okay, you don't want her eating too fast, or too much- or she might vomit again!

20. Patricia & Noodle

I'm pacing her the best I can!

The vomiting is weird, it's only at the beginning of that PMPS meal. I'm thinking I'll have to get an auto feeder and get her some food around +8 to keep her from scarfing too much before her shot.

Trying to keep it together, but man, this is so stressful. I'm sure it will get easier, but I'm having a really hard time right now. My sweet, neglected boyfriend just ran out to get more test strips on the first night we've had together all week, and I think I'm going to cry again if she cries during her next BG test.

21. Tiger(GA) and Ruth

I know it's hard if she seems ravenous- been there done that! :bighug:

I have the Petsafe 5 Feeder that I got from Amazon and once my Tiger got over being scared to death of it, now it is very handy to have around.

22. Tiger(GA) and Ruth

oops, I missed your +6 = 47! Try s2 tsp more HC if you have it open already, or LC with a few drops of Karo. We want her up in the 50's.

23. Patricia & Noodle

She's trying to climb up the dresser to get to the cans... at least getting her to eat through this shouldn't be an issue.

Tiger(GA) and Ruth likes this.
  24. Patricia & Noodle

I fed her again after that, so two rounds of HC + LC, I'm testing in a moment (6.5) and will post that.

25. Tiger(GA) and Ruth

26. Patricia & Noodle

+6.5 - 54

more LC + HC.

27. Tiger(GA) and Ruth

yup,rinse lather and repeat...
    Test in 30 then?

28. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

She's got nothing else to prove tonight. If she's still low for comfort on the next test, I'd add a drop of karo or honey/syrup.

Since the dose has been moving around, it's hard to say what is causing this. Once a kitty earns a reduction, you should stick to the reduced dose. Due to the Lantus depot, the 1 unit you shot 4 cycles ago could still be affecting this cycle. But I think I'd be inclined to try .5 unit as her dose tomorrow morning.

Tiger(GA) and Ruth likes this.
  29. Patricia & Noodle

@Wendy&Neko

Interesting. By "nothing else to prove," do you mean as long as she's come up again at +7, we are theoretically ok? Or I should just abort the cycle with the Karo? Sorry to have you repeat yourself, I just don't have the best grasp on these situations yet.

I know her dosing has been all over. For what it's worth, that 1U was somewhat "skinny" since she had earned her reduction two nights before, I was just worried with the two skipped tests. Is there a way you note that on her SS?

-----

+7 - 62

30. Wendy&Neko

Nothing to prove = has gone below 50, Noddle has made her point about the dose. That means you can carb her up and get her to a higher number rather than focusing on surfing. But since she's up to 62, you are probably OK without the karo. For a skinny dose, you can enter s1.0 in the units column.

31. Patricia & Noodle

Got it. Should I give more food & keep testing?

32. Wendy&Neko

You can stop food and see how she does without it. Since she had high carb food just 1/2 hour ago, you'll have to keep testing for a while. Test again in 1/2 hour. You want a couple of rising numbers without influence of food. With Neko, I find that she can come tumbling down again a couple of hours after the high carb, as that's about when it wears off.

33. Patricia & Noodle

Ok, I guess I'm wanting to give more food because she's asking for it & has usually had about another ounce by now before bed.

34. Wendy&Neko

If she normally eats around now, I'd give it to her. But maybe wait until after the next test to see if she's still rising?

35. Patricia & Noodle

+7.5 - 59

hmm.

36. Wendy&Neko

Surfing - essentially the same number. Time for her regularly scheduled meal.

37. Tiger(GA) and Ruth

Sorry to interrupt ladies, but I just remembered something- Is Noodle still getting the appetite stimulant Cypro?
    And the other thing, are you still testing her back paws- is this making it difficult for you to draw blood?

38. Patricia & Noodle

@Wendy&Neko She normally eats before I go to sleep around 11pm-12am, didn't give that because I was feeding the MC for her low number. Should I still feed?

@Tiger and Ruth Yes she is, once a day, I just tapered it down to 1mg from 2mg. I am still testing her back paws, its simple to get blood, my question earlier was whether or not this was somehow more painful and should I try to get her front paws, too.

39. Wendy&Neko

If she's due more food, I'd give it to her.

40. Tiger(GA) and Ruth

Ah, that explains her being ravenous! But I'm wondering if she vomits because she's gorging herself from the cypro, called the Scarf and Barf.

I would guess it is more painful in the paw due to more nerve endings, and I wonder if you can even use Neosporin with Pain Relief on their paws? I recall @Shelly & Jersey saying that the best place to test was the back paws, per their vet.

41. Patricia & Noodle

Her vet and I were wondering if the Cypro was causing that, too. Its why we lowered her dose. Personally, I was/am a little nervous to just go off altogether since its still so important she eat well right now as shes recovering.

I'm dabbing a little Neosporin + Pain Relief on with a cotton ball if she lets me, but if it could be a problem I'll stop immediately. Most gets rubbed off, but just in case I won't use it anymore.

42. Tiger(GA) and Ruth

I totally get why you don't want to quit cypro, it scares the bejeebers out of us when your babies don't eat! :bighug: She doesn't show any signs of nausea, i.e. lip smacking, sniffing but walking away from food(between doses of cypro that is)?

I would keep using it! The only worry I had is if the Neosporin might get licked off, but I would keep using it because it stings to stick a needle in your finger!

43. Patricia & Noodle

Nope, its just at her feeding before her PM shot where she vomits. I think its because with that shot, she usually hasn't had food since 10-11am if I'm swamped with work, and she just scarfs down everything once we've waited the 30 min from her Denamarin dose (she gets that whenever I get home from work).

44. Tiger(GA) and Ruth

Hmmm, you might want to take a look at this discussion thread from another forum regarding the Denamarin? I was not aware of this side effect from Denamarin, but you might want to ask your vet.

45. Patricia & Noodle

That's VERY interesting. I'll forward that information to her. Noodle's ALT levels were the only ones still elevated as of Monday 1.26 and we spoke Friday about continuing the whole course of Denamarin (her liver values were very bad, poor thing). Today I remember she wouldn't let me give her water afterwards, maybe if I make sure to do that and have her wait the full hour before eating, she will keep her food down. I'll try that tomorrow and make notes in her spreadsheet how that dose goes with respect to any vomiting in the future.

+8.5 - 68, just finishing the food I'm putting down little by little.

46. Wendy&Neko

Was +6.5 her last high carb food?

47. Patricia & Noodle

Yes it was, low carb +7.5-8.5

48. Patricia & Noodle

I try to get her AMPS in about 2 hours (test at 6, feed, shoot around 6:30, stalled PM this cycle and shot at 7). Does this affect me giving her food now?

49. Wendy&Neko

You want to withhold food from +10 to PS time. You could give a little now if it's not +10 yet. We try to test, feed, and shoot all within 15 minutes or so. If you shot tonight at 7PM your time, you can shoot this morning at 6:45AM.

50. Patricia & Noodle

I'm trying to get my routine down to 15 minutes! I'm not super smooth yet ;)

Related question (kind of dumb): how much does she need to eat BEFORE her shot? I give her 3oz can. Does she have to eat the whole thing or can I shoot after 15 minutes if she's still working on it? I can be very confident right now she will finish the whole thing in 30-60 mins from when I put it down.

51. Wendy&Neko

If the syringe is loaded before you start the test, I find it speeds things up a bit. You just need to make sure she's eating before giving the shot. You have a couple of hours after the shot before onset to make sure she's eaten a good amount. My Neko wolfs her food, so I shoot less than 5 minutes after the plate goes down. A lot of people shoot while kitties head is in the bowl. Several smaller meals are easier on the pancreas so spreading out the food is fine.

I'm signing off shortly. Any last questions? Great job tonight Patricia!

52. Patricia & Noodle

Just wondering if it's ok for ME to sign off, too? Shes getting her AMPS in 2 hrs. And dose for tomorrow? .5U even after only 1 day on .75?

Thank you so much for your help @Wendy&Neko ! And @Tiger and Ruth ! One of these nights I won't feel like I'm having a crisis!

53. Tiger(GA) and Ruth

Patricia, you are doing a fantastic job with Noodle- don't sell yourself short! :bighug:

I hope you aren't planning another 20 mile run tomorrow! :D

54. Wendy&Neko

I would try the .5U. She only had 2 cycles at .75U, but had a .5U the day before. She's responding really well to the Lantus which has got to be pretty tiring for you. It's always easier to increase if .5u isn't enough.

If you are worried about whether you can sign off, you can always do another test. As long as she's about the same or up, you are good to get a nap.

55. Patricia & Noodle

+9.75 - 83, nap time :)

56. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

@Patricia & Noodle -

Hi Patricia,

I've just been reading through your thread and I see that Noodle is currently being given cyproheptadine at 1mg dose and gets ravenous. I don't know what weight Noodle is but I just wanted to share that Saoirse - at 10 lbs - had a very good response to cypro at 1/8 or less of a 4mg tablet. It would keep her eating well for a minimum 8-12 hours without being so ravenous, and as she improved she would go over 24 hours on the tiny dose. Maybe it might be worth discussing dosage with your vet?

57. Patricia & Noodle

@Critter Mom Sorry, I must have missed this update this morning! The 1mg was a reduced dose per the vet, we had been doing 2mg, so we just started to taper it down yesterday. She actually didn't get it today in my post FBDM slumber party stupor and is still eating fine, so I may give even less tomorrow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.