? 2/8/18 | Darwin - update and glucosamine Q's

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Tasha & Darwin, Feb 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tasha & Darwin

Tasha & Darwin Well-Known Member

Condo

Happy Thursday L&LL! :cat: I was so glad to see Darwin come back to his regular numbers. I was searching his Orbax label for the inactive ingredients to see if maybe there was sugar of some kind in it, but came up with no answers. Kinda figured his numbers may have risen sooner if that were the case, but IDK. Anyway, he is done with Orbax now, and doing well.

He is still having diarrhea, but feeling well at least. I am going to start him on the SEB today - does anyone have info on dosing?

I have a question about our civvie, Ben. He's on Gaba (just increased), Bupe, and Pred for chronic arthritis/spine injury. My girlfriend has not been giving him glucosamine as of late, and I think we need to add some in. He's just been having a hard time getting around again, and has been urinating on the dog/cat beds again :arghh: Does everyone just recommend Cosequin? Or is there a better brand? I am going to add it into all three kitty's food as Darwin had some mild arthritis in his elbows on his recent radiographs - incidental finding.

Any info would be great! We are also looking at starting him on Adequan injections as well.

Sending vines to all the kitties and beans in need! :bighug::bighug:

Alicia & Maggie (GA) likes this.
  2. LuvinThisPig

LuvinThisPig Well-Known Member

Now, this is just my experience, but I have been dealing with arthritis and stiffness with Pig far longer than the diabetes, so I know a touch. Pig was born with a malformed hind leg and it has always sort of given him issues, more so as of late. I tried everything from holistic remedies to cosequin. My vet chimed in on the cosequin stating that she had just returned from a vet conference which released the finding a of a long term study on the effectiveness of both cosequin and dasequin. Both showed to be no better than placebo pills for joint repair and did absolutley nothing for pain...

I will concur as I used these for a while with Pig and saw little to no results. So, we started Adequan. A little pricy in the start up, but I will say without a shadow of a doubt that it was the miracle that turned things around for him. After the third injection his movement, strength, and pain were much better and you could visibly see it. My honest opinion? Save the cash and spend it on adequan.

3. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

I have heard good things about Adequan. I believe Wendy gave it (the name is different in Canada) to Neko with success. I tried it with Sasha, but it was too late to help her - the damage from her radiation was too severe. I say it's worth a shot.

I also gave Cosequin to Harvey for years. Multiple vets felt it was a good idea, and wouldn't hurt if it didn't help. Duralactin was another med we tried.

SEB dosing:

Tasha & Darwin likes this.
  4. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

Adequan is amazing! I have been giving it to my boys for years now. Rico will be 20 this August and Dre will be 19.

I now give a shot weekly (there is a loading dose)
    some can go a month in between shots but for my boys weekly keeps them trotting up and down 4 flights of stairs and jumping on the bed. As mentioned it can be pricey especially the loading dose (a shot every 4 days for 2 weeks if I remember correctly)

If you start before there is too much arthritis is best as it slows the progression but will not reverse the damage already done although it seems to help alleviate some discomfort.

No side effects I have ever seen with mine or my clients (grooming shop)

If you vet charges more than 70$ a vial I would ask for a script and get it online.
    I give SQ not IM

Tasha & Darwin and LuvinThisPig like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.