2 cats w diabetes

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Louann Shepherd, Jun 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Louann Shepherd

Louann Shepherd New Member

I'm real new at this. I have two cats with diabetes. One used to be very fat but now is losing weight because he is on diabetic dry food. He's not very interested in can food at all. But because he's lost some weight it's been good for him and he's walking a little better. He has diabetic neuropathy and his right foot. I don't know if he'll ever recover from that. But I pray he does. The other cat is a female cat. And she started losing weight. She's been giving the same food as the other cat is overweight everyone eats the same kind of food. I have three cats stay inside they all eat the same kind of food. It's a prescription food and it's called Hill's glucose weight management MD. And they are I'm sorry and they're all doing good on it except the female is losing weight and it's scaring me. I bought canned food for her Fancy Feast all kinds of flavors and I try to get her to eat it but I just cannot get her to eat a lot of it. She likes to munch on dry food. I'm really at a loss I need to feed her something to gain weight on her and I don't know what to feed her. If anyone has any suggestions I sure would like them and you can even send them to my emaoil loufuddrucker3@Gmail.com. I just don't know what to do I know my cats getting older but I just don't know why it is that I'm giving her the right kind of food and she's losing weight. I'm considering putting her back on her regular food she used to eat which helped her gain weight but might have caused diabetes. So any advice I sure would like it and thank you in advance for your help. Like I said I'm new to this I'm not even know if I'm posting in the right place so forgive me. Oh one more thing the overweight male cat had a Crisis 3 weeks ago of life-and-death crisis. The vet told me to give him two units of the novolline n that's the only insulin I can afford. I think that was a very stupid thing for them to tell me to do I didn't realize it at the time I did give him the insulin and that dose and in the afternoon I heard a scream from under my bed. It was my cat passing out we dragged him out from under the bed. I wrapped him in a blanket. My husband drove as fast as he could to get to the vet who happened to be opened that day. This was a different vet than the first one. I'm thinking that because he has lost weight on this other cat food that he doesn't need that insulin at all. He seems to be doing just great without it and I'm not giving it to him since the crisis. He actually passed out several times on the way to the vet hospital and I had to give him mouth-to-mouth resuscitation to keep him alive. So I think there's some vets out there that maybe don't understand cat diabetes and they think it's the same as a human and it is not. One used to be very fat but now is losing weight because he is on diabetic dry food. He's not very interested in can food at all. But because he's lost him weight its been good for him and he's walking a little better. He has diabetic neuropathy on his right foot. The other cat is a female cat. And she started losing weight. She's been giving the same food as the other cat. I have three cats stay inside the all eat the same kind of food. It's prescription food and its called Hills glucose wait management.

2. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

I just want to ensure I have the facts right.
    1. 3 cats - 2 are diabetic.
    2. They are all on Hills MD food - dry or wet? Both?
    3. Insulin - both the female and male on insulin? If so what type and dose are you giving?
    4. It sounds like your kitty went into a hypo situation - is that what was confirmed at the vets?
    5. Your female kitty is still losing weight - which can happen with uncontrolled diabetes as the body is basically starving. Is her appetite good outside of not wanting the wet food? How about your male kitty and his appetite?

I am going to give it to you straight. Diabetes is not a if I do Y I will get X outcome situation. It is day to day, hour by hour kind of situation. Insulin is a hormone and it can take time to get a cat regulated. It can be done through diet and insulin but it needs to be done in a controlled fashion.

The most important issue really is getting them to eat. There is several things you can do to try to get cats to a better wet diet and there are a couple of dry food options that are good for diabetics. Have you checked out the website catinfo.org? Dr Pierson has some excellent information on how to transition to wet food and a food chart that shows the carb levels for several different wet food options. Some pricey some not. There is a dried food - Young Again which has Zero mature health formula. There is another one that members have talked about but I can't remember the name right now.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
  3. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

Another question, did your vet ever talk to you about home testing your cat for his blood glucose levels before injecting insulin?

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
  4. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Welcome Louann and kitties!
    You can also post questions on the Main Health forum where more eyes will see your situation. Might help to get a numbered question list so we can determine what answers you are looking for and easier for us to correspond back :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Kris & Teasel likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.