2018.03.11 - Emmett - Dose advice? AMPS - 173

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Rob W. & Emmett, Mar 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rob W. & Emmett

Rob W. & Emmett Member

Hey...I have a 173 here. Emmett currently at 2.5 IU, what are your thoughts for dosage?

2. Bronx's dad (GA)

Bronx's dad (GA) Well-Known Member

If you can monitor, I'd say go ahead and shoot 2.25 min, 2.5 max.

3. Rob W. & Emmett

Rob W. & Emmett Member

Okay, I shot. I will monitor. Like you said, I’ve only shot 1 blue number before and it was a while back. Thanks :)

Bronx's dad (GA) likes this.
  4. Bronx's dad (GA)

You don't want to miss that "good" dose. Too much insulin can look like not enough. I think maybe you are increasing too fast as Emmett showed you some green at 2u. Hopefully others with more experience on lower dose cats will chime in.

TR protocol on increases:

INCREASING THE DOSE:
    • Hold the dose for 3 - 5 days (6 - 10 consecutive cycles) if nadirs are less than 200 before increasing the dose by 0.25 unit.
      • if your cat is new to numbers under 200, it is recommended to hold the dose for at least 8-10 cycles before increasing.
      • when your cat starts to see nadirs under 100, hold the dose for at least 10 cycles before increasing.
    • After 3 days (6 consecutive cycles)... if nadirs are greater than 200, but less than 300 increase the dose by 0.25 unit.
    • After 3 days (6 consecutive cycles)... if nadirs are greater than 300 increase the dose by 0.5 unit.

5. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I agree with Paul (Bronx's Dad). I think shooting was a good idea.

Have you decided if you're following Tight Regulation or Start Low Go Slow as your method for dosing? If you have, could you add that information to your signature? It makes a difference both in terms of when you reduce the dose and how low you may want to shoot.

Ultimately, you want to be comfortable shooting progressively lower numbers. Just be sure you have high carb food and extra strips on hand should they be needed.

6. Rob W. & Emmett

Rob W. & Emmett Member

I can't really do TR exactly, but I'm trying to do a hybrid between both of them. I can't do TR completely because I have to work so I can't be checking BG levels all day every day. When I'm home I usually do multiple checks at night...so almost a little curve every evening.

That said, I may have to switch to SLGS if these numbers start staying low because I simply can't be around during the week to watch him.\

7. Rob W. & Emmett

Rob W. & Emmett Member

Are you recommending that I scale the dose back? I decided to increase because those green numbers never repeated over the next 7 cycles. After those greens the lowest I saw was 212.

8. Bronx's dad (GA)

@Bobbie And Bubba @Stacy & Asia What do you think?

9. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

I agree with your increase. He bounced up a bit today, but that can happen on the 2nd or 3rd cycle after an increase , New Dose Wonkiness ( NDW) I think you got to see where he is after tonight's cycle and judge from there.

10. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

I think the increase was a good call, he's very far from those greens. Hope you see some more blue.

You are testing enough to do TR, if that's what you wanted to choose. You just need to get a few extra tests a day outside of preshots and you are doing that, even in the am cycle. There is a sticky at the top about working full time and doing TR, give it a read and see if it may suit you. We don't recommend combining TR & SLGS because each have their own safety nets built in and if you tweak something, you may thwart that.

11. Rob W. & Emmett

Rob W. & Emmett Member

Oh yes, you told me before :) ...I've been meaning to read it again. (I've read every sticky already lol). Will give it a read now.

12. Rob W. & Emmett

Rob W. & Emmett Member

13. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.