2018.07.03 | Emmett • Reduced to 5 iu | +10 • 56 | PMPS • 47 | +2 • 50 | +3 • 52 | +4.5 • 56

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Rob W. & Emmett, Jul 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rob W. & Emmett

Rob W. & Emmett Member

Previous: July 2

Hello all,

So I've reduced Emmett to 5 units. He had another 47 today ...this time right at shot time. Anyway, we'll see how it goes, may have to bump back to 5.5 units if 5 isn't enough. He got the 47 at the end of the 4 cycle of 5.5 iu.

I also gave him a bit of carbo food tonight cause his BGs were staying pretty low. He's actually running around being a crazy cat, destroying boxes and stuff...so I'd say he's feeling quite good.

Anyway, just an update.

R

@Wendy&Neko
    @Stacy & Asia
    @Bobbie And Bubba
    @Sienne and Gabby (GA)
    @Tracey&Jones
    @Christie & Maverick
    @Gill & George
    @carfurby

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Please don't tell me ou shot that 47. :eek: Even the most experienced of members wait until the numbers are above 50 to shoot. The Tight Regulation: Shooting and Handling Low Numbers Sticky Note tells you what to do if you see a below 50 at shot time. First step is to stall without feeding and test again in 15 minutes.

You may have a long night ahead of you.

3. Rob W. & Emmett

Rob W. & Emmett Member

I did shoot 47 and he seemed quite fine. I checked quite frequently last night and did give him a bit of medium carb when he was around 50 (and obviously his dinner at shot time).

He responded quite well I thought...I would say almost a flat, low night. No spikes or anything. I wanted to see how he reacted ...since I was home.

Rob

Sue and Luci likes this.
  4. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Whew! You're brave! Those 40's scare me half to death:eek::eek:...but congrats on your boldness! :smuggrin: Looks like Emmett is on the road to remission??? :woot: Looking real good there in the Lagoon Mr. Emmett!!!:D:D I know it's scary but that is how we get there, no? It's all scary when we start to see those numbers come down to where they're actually supposed to be!

For me it's a real love/hate thing...I love it when I see her go into the lagoon...but it sure messes with my day...and night too...it's about all I can do...test/set timer/write down numbers/ feed / test / set timer...well you get the idea...I barely get to turn around before the timer is beeping...and those poor ears...that's what the road to remission looks like...lots of testing...dose reductions..more testing...one day it'll be testing a lot less (weekly ... monthly.... )...you're getting so close now :) :):bighug::bighug:

5. Rob W. & Emmett

Rob W. & Emmett Member

@Sue and Luci @Wendy&Neko

Well, I felt that judging by how Emms reacts to the insulin (he never seems to peak until at least 3-4 hours ...sometimes even later) -- a full dose (and it was reduced by 1/2 unit) would be fine.

I've done the waiting 20 minutes a few times and always feel that it resulted in his BG raising up at +1 and +2, and that I would have been better just to do the shot, because the shot doesn't seem to affect him until +2 ...and by then he's eaten and if it is low I can give him a bit of food.

Now this case where he was actually declining from ~+11 to PMPS is a differnet story...that's why I was watching him throughout the evening. But it worked out well, I'd say he was the most active and happy cat he's been in a while. Lowest I saw after the shot was a 50 at +2 but I really doubt that was my injection working...

Anyway, he's starting Independence Day well, new day here --> Emmett • July 4 <--

R

Sue and Luci likes this.
  6. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Wow on shooting that 47. I'm glad Emmett stayed safe for you and you were able to monitor. It's great to hear he is feeling so well.

7. Rob W. & Emmett

Rob W. & Emmett Member

Haha. I know it was risky. But I like knowing where he goes with these low shots. I work during the day, so it's always good to know his patterns. Granted every day could be different and I would NEVER shoot a 47 in the morning before work. Well, maybe I would, but I'd work from home if I did. As Sue said, it's scary, but at the same time kinda necessary. Dunno if he will get to remission but I hope he does, and I'm sure he hopes he does too lol.

Speaking of ear pricks...I tallied them up since Feb 10, I think I've pricked his pour little ears approximately 900 times!!!! And that probably doesn't include all the times I've had to prick more than once. I've had about 900 glucose readings since that date!!! Doesn't seem like it, but that's what my app says!!! lol

...in all honesty I think he loves the attention. I say "Emmett – lets test your BGs" – the cat comes running, plops down, purrs, let's me rub his ear, test, hold the spot and we're done. He's a very good patient. I would have never expected this from Emmett...he really isn't the "holding" type of cat. His sister doesn't like the prick at all – and she's the super chilled one. I think he associates the prick with food or he just likes me rubbing his ears...who knows. haha

R

Sue and Luci likes this.
  8. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Luci is the same - has never been a lap cat...mostly the kind of cat that says 'don't touch me'...she comes calling when she wants attention - mostly in the form of a comb...she'll let us comb her...but when she's had enough...she saunters off - Queen of the house:cat: - and the vet we saw last year predicted because of her, shall we say, demonic personality, that she would NEVER cooperate with shots/tests, etc. :mad: He told me 'You may get away with that a time or two - but after a bit she's going to know what you're planning and she'll hide from you' - good luck with that! His words!:eek::eek:

Well, here we are 8 months later - and Luci will come when I call her - although I think it's mostly for the promise of food - and she sits so nicely on the towel and purrs while I pet her a little, rub her ears...prick her ear, test-beep, hold with tissue -apply ointment and then it's TIME TO EAT! :D:D She always gets a treat or some LC FF - and typically always is ready to eat, eat, eat...but she's a different cat than the one we started with in November where it took two of us just to hold on to her while one did the poking...she wanted no part of it and she'd growl and cut up...then finally one day just decided this is going to happen...and settled right down - :nailbiting:after a while I'd catch her laying on the testing Towel in the kitchen!!! :eek: I took a pic or two of that unbelievable behavior...this is the same cat???:eek::eek: The one that had me in tears because of all the wrestling, growling and not having any of it in the beginning??? :kiss: When (notice I say WHEN) she goes into remission - I'm going to send that vet a note and a pic of her laying on the testing towel and getting her insulin shot:D:D:D...I feel sorry for her and all the pokes - but it's life or death...so we choose to work through it and enjoy our girl as long as she'll have us :joyful: Best to you and Emmett today...I think the thing you have to keep in mind is YOU KNOW YOUR CAT better than anyone else here:woot:...you're the one there with him - you know the schedule and what his numbers are like based on your tests/shots...keep gathering your data...it's the key to remission...and go for IT!:cat::cat:

9. Rob W. & Emmett

Rob W. & Emmett Member

Haha...Luci sounds like Emmett's twin. :)

ALthough, unlike Luci, Emmett was pretty cool with it right from the start. I kinda held him down a bit in the beginning due to me sucking at the pricking part and it taking waaaaaay too long in Emmett's mind. I'd prick and prick and prick and no blood. Now I just walk up to him at any time (he can just be sitting on a printer -- yes he does this) and prick, test. He doesn't even care. lol

Anyway, good luck with your Luci too. Luci seems to be on Lantus around the same time as Emmett. Emmett has a way to go down in the dosing though, your Luci only has to come down from 1.75 units!

Some vets are like that I think because they deal with so many people who actually don't want to "take care" of their pets...as long as the pet doesn't need anything from me other than food, I'm fine with it...is probably what they deal with most of the time.

Same reason they don't know about TR protocol. They just haven't been educated because it's risky if you're not willing to do the home testing (which probably a lot of people don't). I did send my vet the TR protocol and she was very interested in it, she said she'd read up on it (I sent her links to this forum and Tilly's page).

R

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.