21 March | Girlie AMPS 104; PMPS 94 Picky food question

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Girlie's mom, Mar 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Girlie's mom

Girlie's mom Well-Known Member

Condo: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/20-march-girlie-amps-86.192815/#post-2153474

Last night (20 March): PMPS 112; +3=97

Today: AMPS 104

Food problem with Girlie: She's not keen on the 1% and prefers her 6% food, but to get to the lower numbers, it looks like I have to give her the 1% which then means I need to give her Mirtazapine on a more regular basis again. Not sure where to go with picky Girlie on this....sigh...

Also, in the AM, I have to get her to eat the food with the Miralax so I know she's gotten that, but I have to use at least a tiny amount of the 6% in order to be sure she's gotten that before I can leave 1% food out and cross my fingers and hope she'll eat that during the day. Cats: Aargh! :)

2. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

Unless Girlie is super sensitive to carbs, it shouldn't matter whether you feed 6% or 1%. The goal is to feed foods that are less than 10% ....
    Generally, it doesn't get you any faster progress by trying to stay as low as you can on the carb values.

I would give her the one she will eat.

3. Girlie's mom

I think she is pretty carb sensitive, but not sure how to really decide that. When I look at her chart I can see a big difference with 1% vs. 6%, but then again, perhaps I'm looking at it wrong. Quite a while ago, when we were still on 0.25 and such with Levemir, I'd have to give her really high carbs to keep her in decent numbers and not have her dive into hypo numbers at night in particular. I don't know whether that means she's carb sensitive or not carb sensitive!

I do hate, though, seeing her little face look at the food and then look at me with such disappointment. I can so clearly read the "mom, you've failed me here..." What she'd REALLY like is the Fancy Feast MC and HC foods: yum, yum to her! Sorry, Girlie...

Still, at some point she's going to be out of luck with the 6% Wellness Beef and Salmon (the old, low phosphorous version) because I only have a few cans left and then I have to see whether she'll like the new (high phosphorous) version. We'll see! :)

Christie & Maverick likes this.
  4. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

I agree with Rhiannon. If the she prefers the 6 % and that's the only way you can get the Mirtazapine and/ or the Miralax in her, switch the feedings to work in your favor. Oh those kitties.......and what they put us through. :rolleyes:

Girlie's mom likes this.
  5. Susan&Felix(GA)

Susan&Felix(GA) Well-Known Member

:bighug:I know that look--and how it makes a momma feel--so well.

Girlie's mom likes this.
  6. Christie & Maverick

Christie & Maverick Well-Known Member

It's tough for sure, that Wellness formula change has gotten a few of us scrambling to find alternatives. Girlie's doing really well overall, not really diving so much. She seems to have adjusted well to what you are doing, with giving meds in the food, I'd give her what works...under 10% of course, and none of that FF MC and HC that she's really after... ;)

Girlie's mom likes this.
  7. Girlie's mom

Thanks for the support, everyone! What we do for our beloved kitties... :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.