23 Dec | Girlie AMPS 329; +3=437; +4=257; +5=130 Poo frequency question

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Girlie's mom, Dec 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Girlie's mom

Girlie's mom Well-Known Member

Condo: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...-amps-479-6-144-pmps-342-icky-numbers.188389/

Cycle 12 of 0.25: AMPS 329

In my sleep haze I cut her duration short last night, I think, at PM+5...sigh....today is another day!

We have POO!!! Girlie seems to be going 5 days between poos. My acupuncture vet said that cats can go longer between poos as they get older. As long as she's eating and happy, does it matter if she goes so long between poos? Are there other seniors out there who take a long time in between poos?

She's still getting the Miralax and SEB (not every day for SEB); no Cisapride, though.

I know that on occasion, after a large "deposit", 3 or 4 days later acupuncture vet checked and said not a significant amount there yet: waiting another couple of days before an enema is fine.

2. Girlie's mom

3. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

It seems like I always have a cat with poo issues :rolleyes:.......Bubba only goes every other day now and I was reading that is not uncommon for raw fed cats. I think I would go by how moist the specimen is. When Bubba was having trouble going and they were hard and dry, the constipation would play havoc on his BG numbers. But, now, they are normal moist poos just every other day.

Girlie's mom likes this.
  4. Girlie's mom

Every other day - I wish! How old is Bubba, by the way?

Your point about poo quality is key, though: hard and round and dry is awful for her and her numbers.

I'm going to make up the Egg Yolk Powder recipe today, I think, as it's supposed to be cooler today and it takes 10+ hours with the oven on. I think you use the regular powder; any idea how long the homemade would be good for before it has to be thrown away? I wasn't sure if you'd made your own or if you just buy the powdered one... :)

5. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Bubba is 12 years old.

I get the EY powder from Foodfurlife. I bought mine and started in mid Sept, and I am almost out of it. It is just started to get dry. I am not sure if the company adds a preservative to it to give it a longer shelf life in the refrigerator. I'll have to check out the label when I get the new bag. Good luck with making it. I thought of doing it but the price for a bag is so cheap, 14 bucks.

Girlie's mom likes this.
  6. Girlie's mom

Unfortunately, Australian customs probably wouldn't let it into the country. I was going to buy some when I was in the US, but now I have to make my own! I'll just write the company and ask.
    Beautiful Bubba - I just love the eye patch on the photo...always makes me smile... :)

7. Bronx's dad (GA)

Bronx's dad (GA) Well-Known Member

Bronx goes about every 2 or 3 days. He does eat a lot & the poo is huge, cat sitters say they think a human is using the LB :eek:. He is on Lactulose, Miralax, SEB, MMR, PetWellbeing Smooth BM Gold, Pumpkin, FortiFlora, Food fur life, egg yolk powder, AVJ, Lax-eze granules and ground flaxseed. His diet is about 50/50 raw/canned. Seems the only thing that really gets him going is the Lactulose. I am not a fan of Lactulose or Miralax since it takes away moisture from other parts of the body into the intestines which is not good for the kidneys. So I add as much water as possible to his food as he will tolerate. Some say PetAlive Natural Moves works great, but he won't touch food with any of that in it and the syringe feeding was next to impossible.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
    Girlie's mom likes this.
  8. Girlie's mom

That's a lot of poo assistance there - but it seems to work! She's still getting Miralax (1/8 tsp am and pm); SEB (1/8 tsp); AVJ 1/4 tsp; but I cut out the Cisapride for motility a while ago. I wonder if I should add that back in - I wonder if that's the reason for the length of time between poos? They're not too hard, but for a little 8 lb cat, the latest ones have been substantial!

9. Bronx's dad (GA)

Bronx's dad (GA) Well-Known Member

Has your vet recommended Lactulose? Supposedly the sugar in it is not the type that gets absorbed in the bloodstream.

Girlie's mom likes this.
  10. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

The recipe is on their website.
    http://www.foodfurlife.com/make-homemade-dried-egg-yolk-powder.html

In a conversation over on the ckd forum they recommended that just the Lecithin and it would have the same benefits without the phosphorus that the actual yolk has. This is what they recommended - maybe you can get it there.
    https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B003OCAZTM/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I3VP65L46990W3&colid=VIDIU965QO24&psc=0

Ha! :smuggrin:

Gizmo was going every day before his last illness. He is now going about every other day to every two days.

Label does not indicate it. I use a smaller container to use day-to-day.

s739681023402611980_p9_i2_w2004.jpeg

11. Girlie's mom

She had Lactulose at the beginning when she was diagnosed, but it took so much of that - plus so messy - that we decided on Miralax instead of the Lactulose. I'll have to check the constipation site, but I think Lactulose is for motility (like Cisapride) and Miralax for softening...is that right?

12. LizzieInTexas

I wonder if sub-q fluids would help with the poo. I know the more water I can get into Gizmo (added to his food) the better he does in that area. Slowly getting back up to where we were pre last panc flare.

Girlie's mom likes this.
  13. Girlie's mom

Dancing Santa Poo - it scared me! :)

I've wondered about the Egg yolk lecithin vs. the egg yolk powder. The site focuses on fur balls rather than constipation, so I wasn't sure if one could try the Egg yolk lecithin instead of the powder. I can get the Lecithin from iHerb, which is where I get all of the wonderful supplements you all have put me onto. (Amazon won't send a lot of them overseas).

I was off the FDMB for a while there because of job/etc. stuff taking over. Did I miss a serious illness with Gizmo? If so, I'm so sorry, Lizzie! Is he okay now?

14. LizzieInTexas

Ended up at the ER the Monday after Thanksgiving. He quit eating and drinking. Massive pain. Labs and US indicated pancreatitis. It was slow going but we are back to eating well and acting mischievous. He hadn't had an US in about 3 years and so I went ahead JIC but nothing else was evident.

15. Girlie's mom

Oh my goodness, Lizzie - that must have been terrifying. I'm sorry I missed that, but I'm glad to hear that he's getting better now. Wow - I hadn't realised how wicked pancreatitis could be.

16. Girlie's mom

I add water to her food, and she drinks like a champion from her water fountain: she drinks heaps and heaps, thank goodness. But I'll keep the subq tip in mind - thanks, Lizzie...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.