230 bg reading - good / bad?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by brandi, Feb 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brandi

brandi New Member

Can someone help me understand a 230 blood glucose reading a little better and understand how good or bad it is? I've been out of supplies to give Salem shots since Monday. He's been eating only wet food since then, and before then his main food was wet with low carb dry food from the vet available while I was at work in case I had to work late, which I removed on Monday. I checked his bg level before I gave him his last dose I had on Sunday and it was also right before I fed him, and that reading was 230. So it's 4 days later with no insulin shots and his reading right before I fed him after work was 232. It seems like this is his normal level at this time with no regulation so I'm wondering how harmful this week might be to him or if I should pick back up with the 1u dose of Lantus every 12 hours like I was doing before or if I should consider lowering his dose. Payday is tomorrow so shots will begin again after work.
    Also, I don't have a curve yet. I'm hoping to get one started this weekend.

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

230 is a diabetic number so he will need insulin. Here is a chart with bg numbers: http://petdiabetes.wikia.com/wiki/Blood ... guidelines

To get him started on the right amount, you can visit the Lantus forum: viewforum.php?f=9 Read the stickies at the top of the page to find out how to post. Then ask questions about Lantus and how to get him started.

3. brandi

brandi New Member

...thanks. I've read the MAN pages and asked anyway. I'll just let it all soak it and maybe it'll become clear after I take a break.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.