24 hours a day howling

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by C1gar, Jun 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. C1gar

C1gar Member

Hi

Really need some guidance here folks.
    My 14 year old female was diagnosed with diabetes 6 months ago. Everything was ok on 2 * 2 units a day but a few weeks ago she started to howl non stop for 24 hours for serveal days.

Of course we took her to the vets full bloods were done but nothing was found apart from the diabetes. They upped the insulin to 2.5 and that stopped the howling nearly instantly.

Three days ago same thing happened 24 hours of howling for days. Took her to the vet on the first day full bloods done nothing found apart from the diabetes. Again they have upped her does to 3.5 * 2 a day.

Could anyone please guide me so she doesn’t get to the point of howling and why would she be howling for 24 hours a day?

I’m thinking it’s the blood sugar which is in the 17*s but the vet really isn’t giving me any ideas and I don’t want her to get so upset again or in pain.

Thanking you

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Hi. On what basis is the vet raising the insulin dose? Was a fructosamine test done? Hopefully, something other than just a single point in time blood glucose test was done. Raising a full unit (from 2.5 to 3.5) can be dangerous. It is easy to pass right by the correct dose. Dosing increases in 1/4 are what is recommended here. You can get syringes with 1/2 unit markings which make it much easier to measure smaller increments. What kind of insulin is being used? Are you home testing? If not, I would strongly suggest you get a meter and start. It is really the only way to really see what is going on with your baby's glucose. (What is your cat's name?)

Was her thyroid (T4) checked in the blood work? Was everything okay with her kidneys in the blood work (was a urinalysis done)? Is her vision okay? Have there been any changes in her environment that could be stressing her out?

Older cats can become more vocal (here is one article that talks about that: http://www.animalplanet.com/pets/cats-howl-when-they-get-older/) but howling non-stop 24 hours a day seems excessive, and I can understand your concern.

3. C1gar

C1gar Member

Thank you for your reply!
    Her name is sugar!
    The vet says she has far too much sugar in her blood we said to take it slow but due to the distress of sugar she insisted
    She was drinking 24 hours a day along with the howling.
    Insulin is prozinc
    She had a curve yesterday and was in the 17-20 range after 2.5 units was given.
    fructosamine Test done few weeks back was ok control. She cancelled one that was set for today due to finding white blood cells in her kidneys - and is culturalvaitng it to see if it’s an infection
    She had cititues a few weeks back but was given a broad spectrum antibiotic
    her kidneys have been checked there ok apart from that infection
    Her vision is ok
    Thyroid ok as well
    We have two meters but aw struggling to get blood and when we do we get not enough which tells us she is in danger when she has not been.

Thank you for your help! I greatly appreciate any tips or comments

4. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

If your cat has an infection that will raise the glucose levels. I strongly recommend that you learn to home test. As the infection is cleared the glucose levels will drop. A one-unit increase twice a day is a significant increase. If you are not testing that could be way too much insulin and your cat could become hypoglycemic. That is very dangerous and could potentially be deadly. You can use any human glucose meter to test and you would test before every shot. the reason why you want to test before every shot is you want to make sure that it is safe to give the dose.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.