29/12 - Gremlin - UPDATED 04/01

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Laura and Gremlin (GA), Dec 28, 2018.

1. Laura and Gremlin (GA)

Laura and Gremlin (GA) Well-Known Member

Hello!
    Hope everyone is well.
    I can't seem to post here regularly. I forget and life gets in the way. Plus there's not usually much to report Grem, it's all about the same these days! Until today. Holy moly!

I'm thinking I just keep him on the 0.1u twice a day dose even though he has dropped so low. One because it's not quite under 40 (as a long term diabetic) and two because his AMPS and PMPS tests are both still fairly high.

We just had two over 40 degree Celsius days here too and the heat can knock him about. Maybe he dropped lower today as its not quite as hot.

I gave him some higher carb food and I'll test him again soon. I was about to go out, not happening now!

Hope everyone is well.
    For those that remember, my son is now doing much better and he's more like a normal teenager now. It's such a relief!

Laura. IMAG5061.jpg IMAG5058.jpg

Kris & Teasel and Sushi like this.
  2. Laura and Gremlin (GA)

Just updated my signature, they have to be so short now! I had to delete half the information on it! :eek:o_O

3. Jill & Scooter

Jill & Scooter Well-Known Member

Gremlin is a very handsome boy!
    Very glad your son is doing better!

4. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Laura, good to see you and Gremlin! He is looking well. Last time I remember he was losing weight, wasn't he?
    I'm glad your son is much better.
    You'll have to keep a closer eye on him with that 2.4 (43). If he does that three times, that earns a reduction too, as well as once under 40.
    It's very hot here too!

5. Laura and Gremlin (GA)

Thank you Jill!
    Hi Bron! I hope you're well! I can't believe it's been almost 2 years Sheba has been gone :( Sending you hugs!

Grem is fairly stable now at 4.8kg. He is ridiculously skinny but hasn't lost anymore weight, thankfully. The raw chicken thigh seems to help, though no weight gain. He's due for his full blood panel again in a couple of weeks so see what that says.

I've just retested him and he has jumped up to 101. I've let him outside as he was upset staying in and I'll test him again when I can get him inside. I often don't test when he's so high at shot time, glad I did today! Mother's instincts :D

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  6. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm glad Grem came up for you. It's good to hear he is doing well and your son is doing much better.

7. Laura and Gremlin (GA)

Thank you Carla!

Grem's BGL has jumped way up!

8. Laura and Gremlin (GA)

UPDATE 4th January 2019

Grem has lost another 100gms. Total of 600gms since he was at the vet last
    I took him back to the vet today for blood work and get the results tomorrow morning (I'm in Australia). She looked worried.

•Thyroid
    •Mass next to his thyroid changing his thyroid
    •The mass (possibly cancer)
    •CKD has progressed

All possibilities.

His diabetes is very stable though.

Please send vines that it's not serious! I'm really worried. And today it's 45°C so he's barely eaten, to make it worse.

9. Laura and Gremlin (GA)

10. Laura and Gremlin (GA)

Just heard from the vet.

Thyroid level is high, 53.3 I think she said. Kidney one (can't remember the name) is slightly high which is about the same as it was. Pretty much everything else is perfect. She said it's most likely the mass causing huge amounts of thyroid hormone to be released.

I have another appointment next week with the vet and the surgeon to discuss options. Those options being:
    -increasing medication and monitoring him, knowing that it could mask his CKD and not be great.
    -surgery to remove the mass and regulate his HT but which may cause his kidneys to crash.
    He will also have a urine test to check for protein, etc.
    In the meantime, I'm to increase his meds.
    I think that was all. It was a bit of a blur.

11. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Oh I do hope it turns out to be nothing serious. Sending many vines.
    Please update us when you can.
    Yes you are having a very hot day today. We are getting your heat tomorrow although it’s been hot now for a week or two and I know you have had it worse than us. :bighug::bighug:

12. Bron and Sheba (GA)

We cross posted.
    I’m glad the CKD has not progressed.
    Hopefully you will get some answers next week how to proceed with the thyroid issue.
    Hope he starts eating more for you.

13. Laura and Gremlin (GA)

We did :)

The CKD may be masked by the HyperT so we'll see what the urine test says.

Fingers crossed all turns out okay!
    Thank you for the vines! :bighug:

14. carfurby (GA)

I hope you can find the right treatment that will help Grem. Sending prayers.

15. Laura and Gremlin (GA)

Late 5th January

The increased HyperT medication has already kicked in and my baby is feeling a bit better. It's been a long while since he has slept on his chair and a little while since he has given me cuddles at bed time :joyful: I'm looking forward to when he sleeps next to me on the bed again, instead of on the floor next to me. IMAG5154.jpg IMAG5159.jpg

16. Laura and Gremlin (GA)

Yay! Look who just hopped up for a cuddle! IMAG5166.jpg

17. carfurby (GA)

How adorable. I'm so glad he is feeling better.

18. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I'm glad Gremlin is feeling better :)
    Have you considered the i131 treatment for the hyperthyroid?

19. Laura and Gremlin (GA)

I've looked into this but I don't believe it's available in my area.

Thanks Carla.

He was feeling better until just now :arghh: It took me few tries to give him his tablets (now 1.5), after that he didn't want breakfast, just wanted to go outside. It's happened before so I kept him in for a while hoping he'd change his mind and eat. He then vomited his tablets and a whole bunch of foam. Consequently he's had no HyperT medication AND no insulin this morning :arghh:

20. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

The University Of Melbourne does the i131 for cats. https://www.u-vet.com.au/news/hyperthyroidism-in-cats. I belong to a Facebook group called Hyperthyroid Cats and alot of people have to travel a bit to get it done. I was lucky that the place I wanted to go to was just a little over 100 miles away from me. I hated leaving Ginger as she had never been away from home before and it seemed to me like she was so far away from me, but the outcome was no more hyperthyroid.

21. carfurby (GA)

I'm sorry. I hate trying to pill a cat. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

22. Laura and Gremlin (GA)

I live two hours away from Melbourne. I think it would be much too stressful for him at his age, and it would cost a hell of a lot of money! As it is, I'm still paying off $800 in vet bills. But I will ask my vet and the surgeon about it on Thursday.

23. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Sending appy vines and feel better vines to Gremlin