Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Callie & Patches

Callie & Patches Well-Known Member

I found Callie and siblings eating a cookie this morning. I gave her her usual breakfast at 7 after her testing, (507) and gave her 5u vetsulin at 8. I use the AlphaTrack2 meter and give her Purina DM wet food. Her numbers have been runnung high since getting a UTI. She is on her second antibiotic. The 610 is her highest number ever. It really scares me. I have to leave her for a couple hours while I get groceries and stop at Walmart. Any suggestions?

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

610 is very high, but she'll be fine while you run to the store. While you're at Walmart, pick up some ketone test strips if you don't already have some. With Callie's high numbers and UTI, she should be tested daily. This is very important.

Misterbeesmom likes this.
  3. Callie & Patches

I really don't know how I can use the test strips with 4 cats in the house. I rarely see Callie using the litter box. I have been wondering if I should order a meter that will test her blood for ketones.

4. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

The meters are a great way to keep track of ketones. For the urine test strips, could you keep Callie in a room by herself, use non absorbent litter(such as aquarium gravel) to get a sample?

5. Misterbeesmom

Misterbeesmom Well-Known Member

She was eating a cookie? Like dry kibble or other dry treat? That probably isnt helping her UTI or BG. I'm not sure if this has already been discussed and i'm late in the game. You may already know its not good but its early days and maybe your kitty isnt liking giving up the dry--?

I only have 1 cat to keep tabs on, but since he's still not well regulated there's always a good chance i'll catch him in th litter box. He squats, starts peeing, and i scoot a small plastic lid under him, catch some pee, and dip the ketone stix in it. No trouble. The plastic lid is small, from a urine cup sample, but i've used lids from yogurt cups too. Just something with a small lip so no spilling. You dont need much urine at all.

6. Callie & Patches

Well, Callie's BG has come down a little. Now it's. 492.That's still to high. It's my fault that the cats got into the cookies. If anything is left out, they will chew open the packaging and help themselves. They work together.

I picked up a data card for our hotspot, so I will try to set up the SS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.