3.12 Rufus AMPS 117 (AT2)

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Sean & Rufus, Mar 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sean & Rufus

Sean & Rufus Well-Known Member

No poops...guess we're going to have to do it the hard way :(

2. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

Poor Rufus.

Sean & Rufus likes this.
  3. Sean & Rufus

Thanks. I just hope the process isn't too hard on him.

4. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

Wait to see what the vet says - you never know. Poop and vetty vines.

Sean & Rufus likes this.
  5. Sean & Rufus

We have an appointment with a new vet at 9:20 central for Adequan shot! Pretty excited about that. We'll see what she says about constipation. MAybe they have a different med to use.

6. Amy&TrixieCat

There are other options (besides an enema) to get things moving along.

Good luck with the Adequan! I hope she ultimately lets you do the shots at home, since they can be given under the skin. It will take probably about a month before you see good results, but once you are there, it's great stuff. I think I mentioned before that you can buy it online at a much better price than you'll find at your vet. It's off-label for cat, so you'll get either canine or equine. Both are the same med, but the canine has a preservative in it while the equine doesn't have the preservative. For that reason, I always got the equine and just stored it in my fridge.

BTW, arthritis can cause constipation, too, since arthritic hips prevent them from squatting properly.

Sean & Rufus likes this.
  7. Sean & Rufus

And the new vet won't give adequan now, because his appetite isn't where it should be.

8. Amy&TrixieCat

?????

What did she have to say about his appetite, then?

9. Sean & Rufus

So she thinks appetite could be low because of meds, me changing foods (?), or the constipation. I think it's the constipation. She just about flipped out when told Rufus was on cerenia for about 8 days. I guess you are only supposed to be on for 4 or 5 days max? Nobody told me that. Anyways, appointment on a whole was mostly worthless. Went specifially for adequan and then for constipation. She told me no more cerena, no more onda, and needs to be on gaba daily. She also gave me some bupe and cisapride which I don't rememeber what that is for. I am supposed to give him mineral oil to lubricate him. Pretty dissapointed overall.

10. Sean & Rufus

Oh, so she thinks he won't jump anymore because he lost muscle mass when he lost 3 pounds while getting regulated and because of the nuropathy. I don't think he has neuorpathy anymore, the muscle mass possibly. I know he can jump, he is a bit gunshy though. He used to jump in to the bathtub to drink water but won't do that anymore. Don'y think the issue is jumping up, it's the jumping down that hurts him. Anyways, she won't give him the adequan because he already isn't eating well. Now not sure where to go for adequan. Really don't want to go back to her.

11. Sean & Rufus

Oh the cisapride is to speed up digestion??

12. Amy&TrixieCat

I'm sorry it was another crappy vet experience.

FWIW, it actually is OK for most cats to have cerenia long-term; limiting it to a few days is old-school, but this is another one of those things that has taken a while to make the rounds in the veterinary community. Trix was on 4mg cerenia daily for 2 straight years with no cerenia-related problems at all, and other kitties here have been on all those meds long-term as well.

Cisapride is for constipation I believe. Judy's (Boomer's bean) civvie, Allen, takes it - you can ask her about it. Hopefully it will help.

Stepping back a bit on the meds is not a bad idea in general. It may help you better pinpoint what is helping, what isn't, and what may be causing problems.

Loss of muscle mass can be caused by arthritis.

Given what you heard today, it does sound like you are better off without this vet, too.

Sean & Rufus likes this.
  13. Sean & Rufus

He has confirmed arthritis, I wish she would have done the shots. Not sure adequan helps with pain, but what of he doens't want to eat because of pain? Well, I guess we'll find that out tomorrow when he's on 2 pain meds! Best part of this is I was charged $19 for them to take his BG check (not sure why that was needed). They used an alpha track 2. Strip cost $1. Ugh.

14. Sean & Rufus

I'm just tired of involving so many dofferent vets. Wish it wasn't like this.

15. Amy&TrixieCat

I know you're tired. I wish I knew why the other vets near you won't prescribe Adequan.

Adequan is more like a lubricant for the joints, so that's how it helps with pain. It's not a flat-out pain-reliever like bupe and gaba.

Does she want him on both of those at the same time? I would double-check that. Gaba can be helpful for arthritis. I've never tried it, but my vet does recommend it. Be aware that it can cause some drowsiness, especially at first.

My vet charged $38 per BG test when Trix was in for her dental 7 years ago - and they tested her multiple times!

16. Sean & Rufus

Rufus has been on gaba a few different times this year. I had him on it last week for 3 days to see if that would help with the lip smacking/not eating. He was gaba, onda, and cernia. None of it worked. That's why I beleive the constipation is the big culprit right now. She does want him to be on bupe and gaba at the same time. She only gave 3 days worth of the bupe, but pretty much sounds like gaba for life? I had to go to my old old vet to get the gaba. They are the only ones that have it in pill form. Old old vet was worrried about long term use of gaba. Another frustrating thing is every vet had a different course of action, which is underatandable, but so confusing on which way to go...especially if I have ideas too, from people on here.

17. Sean & Rufus

Oh, and she said he has a sore throat. She grabbed his throat twice and he meowed both times. Never seen a vet do that.Not given anything for that.

18. Amy&TrixieCat

Very odd about the throat...maybe from acid reflux???

I can’t remember...is Rufus currently on bupe? If so, that certainly can contribute to constipation dincr it’s s narcotic. Just another tidbit to consider....

19. Sean & Rufus

Not sure where throat comes in, but he has been more nasally and snoring a bit for last couple months. I talked to current vet and the vet today about that and both brushed it off. She did say when i pill him I need to syringe some water in afterwards. I've never done that before.

No no bupe yet. Starting it tonight for 3 day. Hope it doesn't make issues worse :(

20. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

That could cause some throat pain. I always would have a feeding syringe with some water in it to squirt down after I pilled him. But, not a lot of water, maybe 1/4 of a ml.

Have you tried a bit of coconut oil? We have had good luck with that for constipation. Maybe a 1/2 tsp on a dish. The cats go crazy for it and lap it up. Or you can give a little of Extra Virgin Olive oil. It really greases them up.

Sorry your visit was a big ZERO! Ugh.:banghead:

Sean & Rufus likes this.
  21. Sean & Rufus

Someone the other day suggested the coconut oil. Haven't tried it yet. Vet today said NO coconut oil, because it digestable. Need a non digestable oil. Only mineral oil. I'll try a bit :)

me too!

22. Sean & Rufus

Not sure this bupe is a good thing. He sure seems stoned! I've been giving a couple treats to keep food in belly and he purrs like crazy when I give them, but he hasn't moved in 6 hours!

23. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Stoned cat! And unfortunately Bupe can be very constipating.......it's a double edge sword, you want them to be out of pain, but don't want to add to the constipation which can cause more discomfort. :banghead:

Sean & Rufus likes this.
  24. Sean & Rufus

Honestly, I don't even remember why we giving the bupe :eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.