? 3/13/18 High reading at +7 mark

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Lynn_and_River, Mar 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lynn_and_River

Lynn_and_River New Member

(previous thread)

Hi everyone, I'd still call myself a newbie, so I'm a bit freaked out by the high number I just got for River. I recorded it in her spread sheet. 499 for the +7 mark? Her numbers were pretty high yesterday too. I know I haven't done a perfect every two hours since the first log in. Now that she is feeling better, it's been so difficult to get her to let me take her blood. But I do get it! lol
    So I'm just wondering if theres anything I should be doing after seeing that big number, or keep checking every 2 hours and see what happens for the next few days?
    She was only diagnosed two weeks ago. And she's only eating Fancy Feast classics. Thank you!

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Hello and welcome. Good for you on starting home testing and low carb wet food. It's not unusual to see numbers all over the place at the beginning as they get used to insulin. It is a hormone, not a drug. A couple of comments on your testing. First, you don't have to test every two hours, though more data will help you understand Rivers patterns on Lantus. It can take a while to figure it out. Second, try to get a test before each and every shot, so you know that it's safe to give insulin. Also try getting a test in the night time cycle as cats often go lower at night. We determine what to do with the dose based on how low it takes the cat, so it's good to see what's happening at night. A test just before you go to bed is a good time.

The Sticky Notes on this forum are good reading. Take a read of them. Ask questions. We love to help.

3. Sandy and Black Kitty

Sandy and Black Kitty Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome :cool:

You found the very best place to learn to care for your sugar kitty.

How did you discover your kitty was diabetic?

4. Lynn_and_River

Thank you so much Wendy and Neko. I've been reading the stickys. Sometimes I just get so overwhelmed with all the info and end up reading up on a totally different thing. I appreciate the response so much. I'm definitely going to check her before insulin. I give her insulin at 11/11

5. Lynn_and_River

Yes I did!!!
    She progressively stopped eating and drastically lost weight. So I rushed her to the vet. From there she was in the hospital for 4 days :'( it's been so overwhelming & scary, like all of you know.

6. Sandy and Black Kitty

Sandy and Black Kitty Well-Known Member

What type of treatment did she receive those 4 days?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.