? 3/13 Rex BG 100 and severely constipated

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Mandy & Rex (GA), Mar 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mandy & Rex (GA)

Mandy & Rex (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi all. I need help! I noticed Rex was maybe a little constipated 2 days ago so I pulled the frozen pumpkin from the freezer to the fridge. It hasn't thawed yet.

Today I get home and my DH tells me Rex has been making messes all day so he is locked up. I checked Rex's butt and it was covered in diarrhea/runny stools. He's now in the bathroom and not happy about it. He's constantly trying to poop. I called the vet, but they were closing and the vet would call me first thing in the morning.

What can I do? I can see a piece of super dry poop trying to come out. His anus is slightly prolapsed from the constant straining. I'm going to Petco to get cat friendly wipes so the poop doesn't cause sores from sitting on the skin.

Last edited: May 25, 2018
  2. Mandy & Rex (GA)

I really could use some advice.

3. Carol in Chicago

Carol in Chicago Member

I would pass on the pumpkin for now. That is more of a maintenance thing to avoid an acute crisis. This is an acute situation so you might need a different remedy. To determine how acute, I would ask if he is eating and if there is any sign of vomit? Hope he is able to eat and keep it down. If yes, next thing is hydration. If poop is really dry, I'm worried about his level of hydration. Is he drinking? Can you assess if he is dehydrated?

If no vomit and no dehydration, I would suggest keeping things clean (wipes, warm wash cloth). Next is lubrication. Glycerin or other lube on a q tip in the anal area might help. I would do an enema at this point. The added water can soften the stool and lube helps it to move out. If you can' do that, review felineconstipaton.org acute treatments for any you can manage at home.

Please see a vet asap if vomit or dehydrated.

Bronx's dad (GA) likes this.
  4. Mandy & Rex (GA)

How do I do an enema? He refused to eat this afternoon and that's a bad sign. I know it's too late for the pumpkin.. This progressed so fast.

He's not dehydrated. His meals have always been soupy so he doesn't eat quickly then try to eat the other cats' meals.

5. Carol in Chicago

Carol in Chicago Member

My vet trained me to do enemas at home. You would need a large syringe and flexible catheter. For Rose I use OTC liquid soap, lube and RX lactulose w/ warm water. Might be best to have vet do this and teach you if it is an ongoing issue.

You would also need a few other supplies such as gloves and several pee pads.

6. Mandy & Rex (GA)

I have never done one so it's better I wait to see the vet in the morning. Poor Rex! :arghh:

7. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Ugh I used to do enemas with my Sug, GA. Do you have any latex medical gloves? I would glove up and use some Vaseline lubrication on a q tip or my gloved pinkie and see if you can lube up the back door so to speak. If you can see a bit of the hard dry poop and get a hold of it you can try to grab a hold and help it out. I know, sounds gross but you got a do what you got do! He could be impacted and that's why he has diarrhea. Sometimes the diarrhea itself sometimes helps to moisten up the hard stool to be able to pass it.

Like Carol said, hope he's not vomiting because that would not be a good sign if he is impacted.

If he doesn't get the hard stool out by tomorrow and is is otherwise okay, I'd have him seen tomorrow. But if he starts vomiting I'd get him to the ER.

Sending poop vines!

Mandy & Rex (GA) likes this.
  8. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending prayers. :bighug::bighug:

9. Mandy & Rex (GA)

I can see that poop. I'll have to see if I can find some gloves and help him along. He's miserable, being locked up, because he's a people cat.

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  10. Bobbie And Bubba

You can do it ! He'll feel so much better.

11. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

I hope you can help things along until you can get him to the vet in the morning. Sending easy poo vines.

12. rawia

rawia Member

Olive oil always works. One table spoon daily

13. Mandy & Rex (GA)

Well, I'm proud (?) to say I did get that piece of poop out, but Rex is very upset. He's resting. That poop was full of hair and I think there's more. His behind is disgusting and will need to be shaved. I used a few wipes, but I think that made it a little sore on top of everything else.

14. Mandy & Rex (GA)

15. Bobbie And Bubba

Good job!! You'll both sleep better tonight. Was it wedge shaped? Usually when I have to do Poopectomies, they are wedged shaped and the piece at the anus end is like the tip of the iceberg.

I'm proud of you too Mandy!

ETA: At least you got the clog out of the drain!

16. Mandy & Rex (GA)

No it wasn't wedge shaped. Like I said, I think there's more because after I pulled this piece out, I saw a little hair so I pulled that out as well.

Rex has been grooming a lot lately, himself and Tanner (long haired, too) so I bet that's what it is. I'll have to brush him more to make up for the fact Tanner despises being brushed.

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  17. Mandy & Rex (GA)

Update: Rex just pooped a small, hard pellet by himself! He is still straining so there must be more. It's not accessible for me to help him with. He still doesn't want to eat.

18. Carol in Chicago

Carol in Chicago Member

Anything he can do by himself is progress. Let's hope for more. Not eating will be an issue if it continues, but for now, I'm sure he feels "full".

If they are small and hard, lube might help.

Good job getting things going!

19. Tasha & Darwin

Tasha & Darwin Well-Known Member

Oh goodness, poor Rex!! I’m so glad you were able to help him out a bit! The vet will probably do an enema tomorrow morning to help him pass anymore stool. Sending vines that he’s comfortable overnight!! :bighug::bighug:

20. Nicole Z

Nicole Z Well-Known Member

Aw poor baby I’m just seeing this now sending vines for more pooopies

21. Shawna & Davidson (GA)

Shawna & Davidson (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Mandy
    Harley (Davidson’s brother) was constipated last year and it got worse regardless of how much water was mixed with his food. He also had poop attached to his bum and I was told never to pull it out, as could damage his bum. I did pull it out gently and it does make them uncomfortable.

I read about constupation on a forum like this one, but I’m not home to get the link posted here.

I ended up getting Harley an ennema at the vet as he couldn’t poop. Trouble is that he was processing food onto the colon and the water wasn’t getting there, hence constipated. I went to a drug store here in Canada and got Restoralax which I think is like Miralax down there - for humans. I started giving Harley 1/8 tsp mixed in FF morning and evening and he’s not had a problem in a year. Make sure you buy any product that is polyethylene Glycol 3350 it’s a powder. Harley is 9 lbs.

Also, the reason they vomit when trying to poop is that they try so hard pushing to poop, they cause the diaphragm to react and they vomit.

He may need an ennema but after that get him on the powder laxative. I weened Harley to a lower amount but it didn’t help so I just keep giving it to him. He’s happy and no issues.

One other thing, if there is too much litter in the box and they can’t balance when pooping they won’t go. When constipated they try to go but keep sinking in the deep litter which makes it harder to balance so they give up.

I’ll post the link once I’m back at my desk.

Oh it won’t hurt diabetic cats, no carbs as I checked since Davidson steals Harley’s food at times. It’s really a stool softener and giving minimal amount will just do that.

22. Shawna & Davidson (GA)

Shawna & Davidson (GA) Well-Known Member

Here is the link I learned a lot from: http://www.felineconstipation.org/

Another link showing why fiber (pumpkin) is good for our cats incl. this with diabetes: http://felineconstipation.org/prevention.html#FiberorPrebiotics

FYI, I give both Harley & Davidson 1/2 tsp pure pumpkin with each 1/2 can FF..........it helps both diabetic and constipated cats and just give them a tiny bit mixed well with food and work up to 1/2 tsp or more.........they will get used to it, make sure it's pure and no sugar or additives.

I hope he starts pooping.........
    Shawna

23. Alicia & Maggie (GA)

Alicia & Maggie (GA) Well-Known Member

I hope Rex is doing better today. I'm proud of you for doing what needed to be done! :D:eek:

24. MyTitan (GA)

MyTitan (GA) Well-Known Member

Oh sending poopy vines to Rex, was today better??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.