3.15 Rufus AMPS 114, +2 85, +8 90, PMPS 337!!, +2 78, +3 71 (AT2)

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Sean & Rufus, Mar 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sean & Rufus

Sean & Rufus Well-Known Member

No poop. He ate about half breakfast. Gave him 5 mg pepcid last night and no lip smacking today. 2 times last night I put out some chicken and he ate it both times. Ate 3 hydrolyzed treats this AM, sometimes he doesn't care for it.

I'm really starting to wonder. I think he associates eating now with med time. Ear pricks, pills, shots, water squirted down throat. I know this routine we have right now is bothering him, I'm going to try switching it up a bit tonight.

Might get some ondansteron in there today too depending on how day goes.

Yesterday

Tracey&Jones (GA) likes this.
  2. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

So if the pepcid worked, I would consider sticking with that regularly for a while.

Yes, they can start making certain associations...kitties are very sensitive. Moving pilling away from food time might be a good thing to try.

More poop vines and appy vines!!

Sean & Rufus likes this.
  3. Sean & Rufus

I will, I just know it doesn't help the constipation issues. Going to vet later this afternoon for the Adequan. I'll ask their policy on enemas.

4. Amy&TrixieCat

Enemas, of course, should be up to the vet's evaluation. Since Rufus did poop yesterday, I would think you are on the right track with the cisapride and the mirialx. Some kitties do develop chronic constipation and need long-term medication support, and as long as those meds are working (or starting to work), I wouldn't rush into an enema unless a vet thinks it is really necessary. In addition to feeling what is there, they can do x-rays to see how backed up a kitty is.

Daily pepcid isn't ideal in an ideal situation, but if Rufus has nausea from stomach acid and the pepcid is helping with that (and therefore his appy), then he needs the pepcid. It is frustrating, but it can become a balancing act with getting the med proportions right. It takes time, but with patience you will get there.

Also keep in mind that his appy hasn't been great, either - less food in does equal less poop out.

Sean & Rufus likes this.
  5. Sean & Rufus

Yeah, that is what current vet said. As long as they are going a little bit, they would rather have Rufus do the work. And I was thinking about his appy being less, and going less. But he was eating good last week, for the most part and not going. I read that cats that groom themselves a lot can have this issue. Rufus with his aleergies is concstnly licking himself, and with reduced water intake, just wondering of something is "stuck" in there? I guess I don't know. Been thinking about asking for xrays to determine the needs.

Amy&TrixieCat likes this.
  6. Sean & Rufus

Well, someone pooped. Guessing it was Rufus as it was wetter then normal and uncovered. He doesn't cover it when he wants to show me something is not right. It was a decent amount. Not sure I would consider it diarrhea. Should I keep giving the miralax, but not as aggressive dose? and not as often? Vet said when he was cleared out I would know because he would have diarrhea.

Amy&TrixieCat likes this.
  7. Amy&TrixieCat

Poop is good! Are you still giving both mirilax and cisapride? I only have experience with mirilax, so I can't answer about the other. With the mirilax, I would be inclined to try reducing the amount, but not the frequency. Basically, I would try to taper him off and see how it goes, rather than abruptly stopping. That way, if you notice he's getting backed up again, you won't be completely back at square one.

As for the cisapride, if you are still giving that, I'd ask the vet about how to proceed with that one.

Sean & Rufus likes this.
  8. Sean & Rufus

Yeah, miralx and cisapride. That vet is supposed to call me to check up on him at some point. I'll ask then, but I think I give it for 10 days. I'll cut back the dose also!

9. Sean & Rufus

So got new food yesterday. It's rabbit and has about 33% carbs. Planning to mix it 50/50 with zero carb for to bring it down to 16.5% carbs. Still higher then I'd like, but we'll see where that brings us. Hopefully BG won't skyrocket. He ate some of that for lunch, but wouldn't even attempt to eat the pureed fancy feast :banghead:. I would love for him to eat the wet obviuolsy, but happy that he ate dry, for more reasons then 1. He is really being a good boy today. Happy, purring, playing with Ozzie. Hopefully this keeps up after today. He had his last of the Bupe this am.

10. Amy&TrixieCat

Not a fan of the dry food, but I am a fan of this:
    Hopefully the food will work as you want it to, despite being dry.

Sean & Rufus likes this.
  11. Sean & Rufus

I know, and I'm scared where the numbers will go. But what we are doing isn't working. Goal is to keep him on the dry and some wet for a while, hopefully to calm down his tummy. After his tummy calms down, get him back on some novel protein wet. I am really hoping the food intolerance is causing the inappetance and nausea, but it's hard to know if he's still eating things he shouldn't be eating.

12. Amy&TrixieCat

Hopefully it will work for his belly issues, and you never know until you try. Be prepared to possibly re-increase his insulin (although I'm sure you know that). Food issues are tough - I've got some here, too, and they won't eat novel proteins.

13. Sean & Rufus

It is so tough to get him to eat the right foods. So frustrating as he used to pretty much eat anything. I'm expecting to have to up the insulin, but hopefully won't be too much. Sorry you're dealing with food issues too. Do you have any clue as to what they are having issues with protein wise?

14. Amy&TrixieCat

My one cat, Noah, seems to particularly have a problem with turkey - it runs right through him. His littermate, Zen, can't tolerate fish (makes him instantly barf), but he does OK with chicken. Noah does so-so with chicken - he could be better, but he could be a lot worse. His problem is the opposite end from Zen...soft, but somewhat formed, poop. He won't eat novel proteins for long. He's eaten them long enough for us to see they work, but then he goes on strike and we end up back at chicken. I know how incredibly stubborn they can be.

Sean & Rufus likes this.
  15. Sean & Rufus

Oh yes, incredibly stubborn. The hard part is trying to feed the same foods to 2 different cats. Ugh. Ozzie refuses to eat wet. I don't understand why he wont "eat" it. He'll lick Rufus' pureed food. He has no problem eating mice and voles, and birds. But won't eat wet food. So not only is it the protein, it's the texture too.

16. Amy&TrixieCat

At one point we had 6 cats with 4 different diets we had to juggle...between the food sensitivities and Trixie being diabetic. I spent many hours sitting on the floor playing "food police". Yeah, admittedly, I've been through the "I won't eat wet food no matter how much you pay me" thing. It's no fun. Fortunately, Trixie was happy to eat diabetic-friendly wet food.

Sean & Rufus likes this.
  17. Sean & Rufus

I couldn't imagine 4 different diets! So hard to keep 2 cats on the right path. You must have a lot of patience, or at least it taught you some more!

18. Amy&TrixieCat

I just adapted out of necessity...but I do think more than anything it made me neurotic about cat food o_O:rolleyes::blackeye:.

19. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Sending more poop vines! Hope the deposit today was his. If the poops was a bit more wet, scale back on the Miralax like Amy said. How much are you giving? Usually, the start is 1/8 tsp and you work your way up to 1/4 tsp,

20. Sean & Rufus

Oh I bet. The weirdest part when I first got here at this site was people recommending Friskies. Here I was coming full circle. We started out with Purina cat chow and Friskies wet to trying each time to better him with better foods and less crap ingredients to come back to the Friskies! ECID though. Happy that it works for most cats, unfortunely it's not a viable option for us :(

21. Sean & Rufus

I think it was his. We we're doing 1/4 tsp 3x a day, now we are up to 1/2! I went back to 1/4. I'll see how that goes. The worst tht can happen is really wet liquid, right? We don't want to get there, but I do want to "clean" him out!

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  22. Sean & Rufus

Made him a 2nd lunch of sorts. Wet food made with beef only. Not exactly novel, but at least I know no other proteins. Ate the whole bowl licked clean! Also, good news, was that he ate that dry food. He only had maybe 1/10 of a cup, but that was 3 hours ago and his BG didn't shoot up like it has!

23. Sean & Rufus

Returned from 2.5 trip to vet at 6:30. He had about 15 treats maybe. 7:05 pmps was 337! Ugh.

24. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

Wow - treats and vet stress...

25. Sean & Rufus

:( I can't believe how high it was. And then the other cat puked up worms. He was dewormed twice in January?!?!

26. Bobbie And Bubba

Sometimes worms are hard to kill. When you deworm again , make sure they give you enough Drontal to give again 3 weeks later.

27. Sean & Rufus

Thanks. He had drontal 2 times in January. Should I do 2 times again or maybe 3?! He hasn't eaten anything new since then. 2 times wasn't enough!

28. Bobbie And Bubba

Usually when you know they have worms ( like now) protocol is a dose and then another dose 3 weeks later. That usually does the trick. Sometimes they get the worms from ingesting a flea. Ask the vet if you should try a third dose. I have only ever done 2 doses 3 weeks apart.

I have had issues with Bubba and tapeworms too. Thank goodness he barfs one up so I know he's infected. :rolleyes:

29. Sean & Rufus

30. Bobbie And Bubba

That's a big drop!

31. Sean & Rufus

Ozzie never had worms, up until a year ago. Surpising as he eats anythiung and everything outside. Now he's had worms 4 times in a year! Jeez if not one thing its another with these dudes :)

32. Sean & Rufus

Kind of scary. Wondering if one of them was bad. Wasn't getting much blood on either test. I'll test again in an hour. That 337 didn't make too much sense. He usually doesn't get too stressed from the vet. And these treats for some reason don't rais his bg that much, but he dd have quite a few.

33. Sean & Rufus

34. Dimmu & KL

Dimmu & KL Member

Rufus, sweet boy, you have got to poop!! You don't wanna go where Dimmu went! No poop=scary trips to the vet! Sending more pooping vines!
    And it looks like Dimmu will be joining the "find the right protein" club, too....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.