+3/16 Jez AMPS 270 +6.5 110 +9 116 PMPS 192

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by morrieb1, Mar 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. morrieb1

morrieb1 Member

I left the computer on last night and I'm thinking perhaps Jez did some reading up on what a BG curve is supposed to look like :smile:

After I stumbled out of bed to test feed shoot this morning I crawled right back in and slept another 4 hours. I was going to give Jez a break since there really didn't seem to be anything exciting happening but she's perched on the computer desk which also happens to be the preferred testing spot so I guess she wanted to show me her blue.

Em

2. nckitties3

nckitties3 Well-Known Member

Re: 3/16 Jez AMPS 270 +5 148

Good job! :thumbup She's the only one playing in the water today.

3. morrieb1

morrieb1 Member

Re: 3/16 Jez AMPS 270 +5 148 +6.5 110

Far be it from me to question good fortune - perhaps she's part Irish. Gonna see if I can get her over here for a +6 (well closer to a +6 1/2 but who's counting). Cool - got a 110 - proud mom today

I'm going to try to see if I can get more consistency in the feeding - my autofeeder came today so I can set it for a snack at +4 to be sure there's something available if she's feeling low and I'm at work - and I'm going to pull dinner each night after it being out for a couple of hours.

And now, cold or not, I must force myself to drink the half a beer leftover from the corned beef preparation - waste not, want not.

You'll probably get a kick out of what I'm drinking - its called Raging *****......

Em

4. doombuggy

doombuggy Well-Known Member

Nice numbers! Slainte!

5. morrieb1

morrieb1 Member

Jez says thanks (well she didn't really say anything but she looked at the screen and beamed) - Mel got her sorted out for me on the dosage and I think she likes it where she is.....or else she's just showing off cause I'm around to test today. Heck she's back on the desk so I guess she wants to show me a +7. Might be worthwhile cause I just put some food down after the last test for a snack - I can see what sort of spike happens....

You've been at this a lot longer than I - should I worry that I'm becoming a bit obsessive? Don't want to be like one of those "Toddler in Tiara" moms......

Em

6. nckitties3

You're doing fine hon. Testing when you can, is the only way you know what she's doing when you're not there. Knowing she's at a safe level, will help you breath easier at work. :D

7. morrieb1

morrieb1 Member

((((((Deb)))))) you are awesomely supportive as always.....

8. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

What Deb said :thumbup If you can't get a lot of tests in during the week, when you have the free time, become a test-aholic..lol That way you have some clue what she is doing when you aren't there to find out with a meter. Sometimes short spans of obsession is a good thing, and of course I find it just plain interesting to watch how it all works for them.. :lol: I probably would test Autumn more if she wasn't DCIN sponsored on her test strips so kind of limited to how often I can reup and then can get them to me. Which is one of the reasons I've been off and on testing the same drop of blood with both her Bayer Contour and my Relion Micro that was Maxwell's meter, to see if they are close enough that I can use it to get a few extra tests with just to get a better feel for what she is doing...lot easier on the wallet at $20 for 50 than $50 for 50. Off the shelf.

Jez looks to be doing great getting down into those blues and surfing there, so at least you know she is so far staying in safe numbers while you are at work.

Mel, Maxwell, Autumn & The Fur Gang

9. morrieb1

morrieb1 Member

So I'm guessing I shouldn't worry too much that she isn't fond of green? You've got a scientific sort of mind for sure - me - I'm all business so I'm disappointed when she doesn't follow the "plan" like she should :).

I have the Relion confirm but even those strip prices kinda hurt when you're going through them fast. Jez is bleeding pretty well so I've got that Arkray version of the Prime coming next week - the one with the 10 for 50 strips. I don't begrudge the furkids anything they need, but it is a bit more expensive having a sugar kitty in the house. But not having to run her to the vet is really helpful - that's what was going to really hurt at 300+ dollars a curve.

10. MommaOfMuse

Tell me about it...I have 14 with 2 sugarcats.. :eek: I already spend $100.00 per week just keeping them in Friskies and Litter and the dog in the only combination of dog food he will eat. He demands Beneful Original Dry Kibble with half a container of Beneful Prepared Meals twice a day..no more, no less, and no substitutes... :lol: I would love to use the best of the best for them all but the budget can only stretch so far.

As far as her not being too found of the greens right now ..with as much as you have to be away from her most of the time, right now the focus is to get her regulated and stay that way even if that is on insulin. Regulated as I understand it is getting to stay below the renal threshhold around 250ish and getting down to the low 100s or less at nadir with a gentle upswing at the end of the cycle. If she has a pattern where she dropped 160 pts between amps and +6.5 like she did today I would rather have her do that while you are at work, because that would only take her to around 80 or 90 at nadir with at least another 40pts before falling below into hypo range. So getting her preshots down to where she has the best chance of going into remission by staying in normal numbers as much of the time as possible, needs to go a little slower so you can tweak the dose in tiny increments and you are going to need those 1/2u marks to do it with consistency. Once you have those try just fattening up her dose slightly...this is where a drop either way can make a big difference.

But there is also nothing wrong with just getting and keeping her regulated so she can stay safe while you are working and sleeping so you can work. She is still going to be able to be a healthy and happy kitty that just happens to take two tiny little insulin shots a day and gets their BGs checked several times a day. Not every cat can go OTJ either because it isn't safe to follow the protocol because of real life demands on the care giver, or because they simply can't...There were several old-timers when I first got here that have just recently past that lived to be in their 20s :eek: Some of them just alway were insulin dependent. Actually my Lady Jane Grey is named for two of them...Janie and Janeway..because I figured Lady because she is so prime and proper, Jane to bless her with a long life of her namesakes, and Grey because this a silver grey maine coonish looking mix. As well as being named for the Lady Jane Grey the 9 day queen of England, on my girl's case the 9-live queen...lol

11. morrieb1

morrieb1 Member

Thanks Mel - makes sense to me. I do want her regulated most of all - and if I'm lucky enough to have an OTJ kitty at some point - that's even better. From what I'm seeing so far (knocking on wood as I post this) she doesn't seem to be too far off where she needs to be and is a bit more consistent than a lot of the other furkids around here so I remind myself I have it easy. Then there's the thing where she has come to me looking for food when she's been low - no guarantees, but I'm reassured that if I have food available she'll eat it when she needs it.

Yeah I shudder to think how expensive it can be to feed a horde - and your drooler is lucky indeed that you cater to his demands ;). I had figured Lady Jane was named after the queen - but I love how you honored those other kitties as well.

Thanks again for all your help - not just the suggestions but the way you explain the thoughts behind them.

Em

12. nckitties3

Jez has run really well today! :thumbup

If her AMPS would come down just a hair, to below that renal threshold mark, I'd be really happy with that, if she was my cat and I had to work. She would be safe and you would be confident in her safety. Maybe another couple days and it will happen, keeping fingers and paws crossed. She looks so good! :D Those numbers are a dream for anyone that works away from home. :thumbup

13. MommaOfMuse

Jez has had an EXCELLENT run today :thumbup If you want to add in the meter variance...that 270 amps could have been a 216. :D And her nadir could have actually been a 88 on the lowest end of the scale. 270-20%=216 and 110-20%=88. That is purrfect for when you can't be home with her during the day while you are working. Great Job! dancing_cat And you have some wiggle room for her to drop lower but not dangerously low, if she just holds these numbers she is still gonna stay in safe numbers while your at work or sleeping. cat_pet_icon

14. morrieb1

morrieb1 Member

Yeah she did, but it seems she felt left out and now she's doing that yellow dance with the rest of the furkids, lol. It is odd to come up after a shot - and I know it wasn't a furshot - but still she's not in a bad place so I can't complain.

PMPS 192
    +2 276
    +3 242
    +4 227

So it looks like she's safe where she is - and maybe she's even healing a bit - today is almost exactly what she did on the 8th - right before the reduction. I'll have the 1/2 marked syringes so life will be easier - and if she comes in lower than usual in the morning I can head home for a lunch check. And if her preshots don't come down - I can do something next weekend.

I am off to the hottub since she's safe tonight......have a good one.

15. MommaOfMuse

Again if you allow for the possibility that her pmps could be on the high end of the meter variance, it also could have been around 230, so she rose until +2 when the insulin onset is, and started to head towards nadir, actually I bet she did something similar today but you just didn't catch those tests.

Yep if she holds true she is probably only going to drop into the high double digits, or the low 100s...Go have fun in the hot tub, I just crawled out of a nice long bubble bath since I have now worries of Autumn dropping too low tonight, she just hit red. :sad:

16. morrieb1

morrieb1 Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.