? 3/16 NEED TO KNOW DOSAGE

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Shawna & Davidson (GA), Mar 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shawna & Davidson (GA)

Shawna & Davidson (GA) Well-Known Member

Well, Almost decision making time.........seems like Davidson is really high in the early mornings, then drops considerably as you can see on his SS. Today is the 2nd day post surgery and perhaps as many have said it's better not to allow him to get used to the high numbers...........I'm giving him tons of water with his FF and he's peeing a bit more. Diarrhea has finally gone from watery pooh to very soft pooh so that it can make a slight pile.....still loose but tons better as has some solid mass to it now.

How much longer should I wait until it's suggested to give him insulin?? The 10th day from when we started ab's are Monday, and I only have enough ab until tomorrow. Should I get more, or not bother as he's have been on them for 8 days total (started Mar 9).

Should I start him on insulin or wait a few more days for the infection to totally pass and the sedative to get out of his system? He's been off the pain meds since yesterday morning in fact only gave him 1ml dose instead of the 2 prescribed as it was unreal seeing the foaming and drooling. He's not been in pain as he gobbles up all the hard chicken treats without complaining...........his weight is still the same 12.34 lbs, not drinking much water from the bowl, maybe a touch more peeing as I've really watered down his food to make it easier for his mouth and also so he will pee more and pee out the infections...........

When do I make the decision to put him on insulin or not?? I'd like to give him as much time without it since he's been OTJ for 4 yrs, but I also don't want to risk that he gets used to staying high BGs........

What do you think??

Thanks,
    Shawna

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Do you have the insulin now? You could always try a tiny dose like 0.1 U to see if you can get those higher numbers down. I wouldn't want him to develop glucose toxicity and get used to those higher numbers either.

I would ask the vet about the ABs.

3. Shawna & Davidson (GA)

Tnx, I don’t have any insulin as it’s been 4yrs, but I can get some easily tomorrow. I have enuf ab to last 1-2 days and I will just get more for the duration just to make sure.

My main thought process is IF and WHEN the decision is made to put him or not put him on insulin. Or better, if he goes on it, I guess if he does well he will hopefully go off and OTJ again..if not, then obviously he needs it.

4. Shawna & Davidson (GA)

Can anyone please let me know your opinion on the above..........I'm still seeing higher numbers and going to START DAVIDSON on Lantus,,,,,,just questioning how much and if I should start tomorrow or wait a few more days when the ab's are over.
    Thanks,
    Shawna

5. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

You asked for opinions...

I wouldn't wait. I'd restart insulin as soon as you can. Wendy suggested re-starting insulin at 0.1 unit. If I were in your shoes, I'd restart a little higher... at 0.25 unit bid.

Choose a dose you're comfortable with. Continue posting. If the dose is too low we can help you fast track up the dosing scale.

I did something similar when Alex had to go back on insulin the first time (2009). I restarted at 0.5 unit, but quickly took her up the dosing scale. 1.5u ended up being a good dose for her... went as high as 1.6u before coming back down the dosing scale and OTJ in 8 weeks, but ECID.

FWIW, 1.375 units would have been her initial starting dose based on ideal weight*.

* the formula is 0.25 unit insulin per kg of the cat's ideal weight

Online Calculator for Converting Pounds to Kilograms

Just my thoughts...

6. Shawna & Davidson (GA)

Thanks Jill, and I the Vet today said to continue with the ab's for the desired time period so I got some more to last for the duration. He also agrees to start a low dose of insulin, so it was all purchased today and will start at .25 units and monitor him by testing lots.........If I use the formula above it would also be 1.375 units (there's our Karma) so I can always go up..........

I've updated my SS each time I test.........the positive news is diarrhea is subsiding each day, he's on probiotics and pumpkin, he looks good, cleans himself, drinks very little and hasn't lost weight. The infection is on its way out, but like with us it take time.......

Rgds
    Shawna

Jill & Alex (GA) likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.