3/23 Asia AMPS 141, +4.5 71

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Stacy & Asia, Mar 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/3-22-asia-amps-108.192950/

Asia had a weird am cycle yesterday, I ran out of bupe and had to go get more, her am dose was a tad short and I think that made the numbers what they were, honestly. She was being sweet and silly last night.

Obsessively reading "The Diabetes Solution" by Richard K. Bernstein, MD. He has done for human diabetics what we are trying to do for our cats (pushing a no carb/low carb diet and euglycemic numbers).

His backstory is fascinating, he was diagnosed as diabetic at age 12, suffered many complications and he became a physician after having a first career as an engineer because he made some important discoveries in regulation and wanted to publish, but nobody would listen to him without those two letters M and D after his name! Much like an engineer, he sees diabetes management as very much a science in that if you weigh your food, eat the same or similar amount of proteins and fat each day, small meals frequently, you will achieve tight regulation. He also discusses how to calculate exactly how much sugar will bring you up how many mg/dL by bodyweight. It all sounds a bit too good to be true, but he has helped many people including a lot of parents managing their children's diabetes. I'm reading with enthusiasm and hoping to apply some of this knowledge to Asia and of course share with all of you here. He has a bunch of videos on YouTube (including a great one about Somogyi being a myth) if anyone is interested.

2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm glad Asia is being sweet and silly. Nice start today. I hope you see some green. Interesting about Richard Bernstein.

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  3. Judy and Boomer

Judy and Boomer Well-Known Member

I hope Asia shows you some green today!
    I will definitely check out "The Diabetes Solution"! Thanks for sharing! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  4. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

Happy Friday, Asia and Stacy:bighug::bighug::bighug:

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  5. MJW

MJW Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reference. Maybe it should go in a sticky.
    Have a good day Asia!

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  6. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Asia can only be sweet. Will have to check out that book, sounds interesting.

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  7. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Happy to hear that Asia is having a good day. Thanks for the info on Richard Bernstein's work. I'm going to tell a friend, who has never been able to achieve regulation and has been through every drug in the universe, about the Bernstein's book.

Thanks for the good wishes you are sending to Rusty. They are working!

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  8. Stacy & Asia

I really hope it helps your friend! It's odd, the ADA isn't much unlike many vets we come across: they push much higher carb diets than we would think are helpful and they don't necessarily believe in tight regulation. When Dr. Bernstein learned how to manage his own diabetes, all of his non permanent complications disappeared. Before fixing himself, he was tired and feeling run down all the time with wacky BGs...and the doctors told him he was doing well! o_O

Rusty is a fine cat, I'm glad he has a lot of grit and such loving beans! :cat:

9. Stacy & Asia

We will see how much info can be converted to cats. I've run somewhat dry reading up on diabetic cat studies and literature...there just isn't very much of it. But hey, our TR was based off a very successful human study, so I'm sure there will be gems! He even talks about Tresiba (another long action basal insulin I hope we see used with cats in the near future) in one of his videos, even some humans have a hard time getting it because their doctors are old school and just don't understand how it works. Sigh.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.