3/26 Max (borrowing a condo - got a number issue today)

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Lynee and Max, Mar 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lynee and Max

Lynee and Max Member

Hey everybody. I hope everybody has been doing fantastic. I've been keeping up with most everybody on FB and have been secretly watching kitties. However, tonight I need to borrow a condo for Max. He's been going along just fine OTJ and has been giving me some fantastic numbers. Well . . . . this morning at +2 he threw me a 119 and tonight at +1.5 he threw me a 105. I know these aren't bad numbers but he's not acting like he's feeling real well either.

I am calling the vet tomorrow to schedule an appointment for him for next Friday for a full blood panel and complete check up. Any thoughts on how I should be checking him until he goes in?

We had an instance earlier this week where Max indulged himself in some vanilla pudding that I left sitting on the coffee table for two seconds :roll: When I turned around, his whole face was covered in pudding. But I don't think these numbers are the result of that. He has basically just been laying around, no playfulness at all and really just wants to be left alone and not bothered by the kittens. He is eating fine and no excessive water consumption.

Feel free to be honest - am I over-reacting with numbers like this?

2. Dawn & Nova

Dawn & Nova Well-Known Member

I don't think you are over-reacting about getting him a vet appt if something seems off with him at all.. I assume there are real life reasons why you aren't able to nag the vet for an appt earlier then Friday? just thinking if you are concerned.. the sooner the better always..

About the numbers specifically? I don't know.. since Max is OTJ.. PS, +1 or +2 might not have a whole lot of meaning to him depending on his food schedule.. You've seen similar numbers at "preshot" times when he was trial.. seeing them in the middle of the day might just be because that's where you happened to catch him, and that's just what he happened to be..

Easy enough to rule in or out though.. grab some more tests.. might put your mind at ease if it's just luck that you caught those two... or help you decide how fast you should get him into the vet if he's consistently higher then you expect.

Just my random thoughts.. hope he feels better soon :(.

3. gingerand((calliope))(GA)

gingerand((calliope))(GA) Member

I hope Max gets back to his old self, soon.

4. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

The numbers are fine.

If YOU are concerned over how Max is doing, that's what's important and it sounds like taking him to the vet makes sense. Does Max have a history of anything like pancreatitis or anything that could be flaring up? From what you've said, there are no real concrete signs, like loss of appetite, other than he's lethargic.

Maybe the pudding didn't sit too well with him! I'm being somewhat facetious but in reality, a lot of cats are lactose intolerant. Also, does he have allergies? Given where you're located, if things are blooming, there may be some seasonal allergens that are effecting him.

5. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

Well, I agree that you should keep an eye on him...but for sure, try to get a number that is way past his meal...like a +4 maybe?
    It is best for you to have the blood work done cause maybe there is a little infection going on, especially if he doesn't seem quite right to you. You did all the right things!! HUGS...hope it all turns out to be nothing! Please keep us posted,k?

6. Lynee and Max

Lynee and Max Member

Yes it's a financial issue that we can't have him seen until Friday. Our vet is expensive and I know that this appointment will run us close to $150.00 if not more to have a complete workup done.

My plan was to do some random tests on him and see what his numbers are showing me. When I say +1 or +2 it is not a PS number, it is a food number. Meaning that it has been 1 or 2 hours after his meal. I always gave his shots at his breakfast time and his dinner time so I continue to use those same guidelines when I do my spot checks on him OTJ. Hope that makes sense.

Never paid much attention to the fact of allergies with Max. And DH and I are both thinking that it could possibly be that. It's been very nice here the past few days so I've had all the windows open in the house and the trees in my yard are Bradford Pear trees that are all flowered right now and pollen floating everywhere. HUM - could be!!

As for the pudding issue, Max LOVES pudding and always has. So I know it's not a lactose issue - was just hoping he didn't eat a ton of it.

He had so many things wrong with him at dx including pancreatitis so that is of course a concern of mine.

7. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

I agree with what has already been said. :smile: Those numbers alone aren't anything to be concerned about, you've had them before, but if Max seems off, then that is a good enough reason to have him checked and especially because his numbers are off. I hope it's nothing and that Max is back to usual tomorrow!

About testing, maybe a day or two of testing at meal time, then +2 and +4 might help you be sure he's still bringing himself down.

8. Dawn & Nova

Dawn & Nova Well-Known Member

Yeah that's why I said depends on feeding schedule..didn't know if you fed twice a day or mini meals or what.. makes perfect sense..

And yeah.. figured it was a pay day type issue.. just because I'm currently anxiously awaiting that day to come myself.. so I'm well aware of how far away it is.. sucks :(.

Hopefully it's just a couple bad days.. kitties have them too.. My grampa used to say that keeping track of the mileage your car gets is useful because changes can show up indicating a problem before it's serious.. if it's not just a bad couple days.. hopefully those BGs will be able to give you the same sort of insight so whatever it is, you can nip it in the butt.

It's also possible that those numbers, being in the "normal" range.. are just the new normal for him.. at the very least it gives you something to occupy yourself with until you can get him checked out.. and an excuse to give him lots of treats.. ha.

9. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I'm not familiar with Max's history. If he has a history of pancreatitis, I'm thinking of Jojo's admonition that pancreatitis is a Pepsid deficiency. What about giving him some Pepsid and see if he feels better? It seems a little backasswards but it may give you some insight as to what's going on. If you can PM Jojo or post on Health to see if trying this makes any sense at all or if it could complicate matters, I would feel better about making the suggestion.

10. Randi & Max (GA)

Randi & Max (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Lynne
    Certainly you know Max and if you feel something is off with Max you should
    look into it.
    I hope that there is nothing and yes, these numbers are in normal range.
    Keep the pudding away from him. :D

11. Lynee and Max

Lynee and Max Member

Re: 3/26 Max - We got green - 90

Well, whatever is going on he is able to bring himself back down nicely so I'm at least comfortable about that. I am going to keep testing for a few days just to make sure. I am calling the vet first thing tomorrow morning and setting the appointment up for Friday to have the entire workup done. He hasn't had it done since dx so it's way overdue anyway.

I feed him mini-meals all day long and he gets his normal breakfast, lunch and dinner. I have a pretty strict feeding schedule that I've done with Max since he went off the feeding tube and it has worked great to heal his pancreas so I've just stuck to it. So I always have to watch my test times with all the mini meals.

Oh and have to say that about 45 minutes before I tested him at +4 he was throwing his mousie up and down the hallway and sliding into it - so whatever is going on he is feeling a little better tonight.

I will check with JoJo and see what her thoughts are on the Pepsid situation and if she thinks it might be something to try with Max. I've never done it with him but have heard of it helping with the pancreatitis situation, but of course won't do it without the okay.

I'm gonna borrow a condo for a few days while I do some checks on him so I'll be seeing ya'll around. Thank you everybody for the advice tonight. Made me feel so much better. On that note, it's been a mentally exhausting day so I am hitting the sack and doing some snuggle time with Max. Maybe he just needs some mommy and me time :smile:

12. OptOut

OptOut Well-Known Member

Give sweet Max a kiss. I hope he feels better tomorrow. :smile:

13. Roni and Moonie

Roni and Moonie Well-Known Member

LYNEE & MAX!!!!!! wE SO MISS YOU!! :D :D --

Glad to see Max doing well--Hope you get a good vetty report--We are still here plugging along--Moonie sends kitty kisses to her honey Max :YMHUG: :YMHUG: :YMHUG: Totally miss you both--Hope the numbers stay great!

14. Roni and Moonie

Roni and Moonie Well-Known Member

LYNEE & MAX!!!!!! wE SO MISS YOU!! :D :D --

Glad to see Max doing well--Hope you get a good vetty report--We are still here plugging along--Moonie sends kitty kisses to her honey Max :YMHUG: :YMHUG: :YMHUG: Totally miss you both--Hope the numbers stay great!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.