3/27 Hank- AMPS 87 -Dosecrease, +5:15- 75 , PMPS- 84

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by bettyandhank, Mar 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bettyandhank

bettyandhank Well-Known Member

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10296 Yesterday

middle of the night PM +7- 61 he jumped out of bed and yowled, i jumped and fed instictively w/out thinking THEN tested. So food moments before.
    AMPS- 87
    Dosecrease- drop / 0+ skinny of whatever we were doing.

We had an unexpected freaky friday after a couple of easy days. He threw me for a loop with his low pre-bed number of 49. Fed LC w/ HC gravy- 1st time we had to do that. HE LOVED it.

Hence the decrease. Today I reviewed the Protocol. We COULD try OTJ, but having barely been at the previoulsy reduced dose for a couple days, I decided on giving him tad more support & time to ween and to skinny the dose up for now. It may be semantics, if our .25 really was or not, same w/ .o1..?? I just made it skinnier still today and hope he got a drop. So we took the next step down..for time being.

This has been so swift & caught us off guard so don't know really what to watch for. He did drop below the 50, but only 1 point. He's been climbing down so fast w/ hardly a chance to ever level out at any point. I guess if this repeats itself there is a story being told. Let's see what numbers he gives me. I'll be watching closely.

I've been reading some of the recently OTJ kitties condo's and spreadsheets this morning trying to learn what I can.
    Several of them (donovan/mj, tasha, spot) ..really went off in fractions of fractions over quite a period of time. Lots of 0's and 0+, 0++, drop 2 drops, etc..
    trying to figure out the path. how did they know when it was time?

This has come so abruptly & i am not versed in what to do here. It is really scary, isn't that crazy? You are crushed having to start this for them...but stopping seems just as nerve-wracking.
    What are the rules for segueing? I just want to go smoothly with the best chance of it sticking for Hank?

His numbers have been great these last few days, but isn't that due to the insulin? ..even the tiny amount? At the least it is supplementing what he is doing on his own. You hate to pull that support prematurely.

Anyway, we were up late,late, w/this going on, then again middle of the night, so got up late and had to make a snap decision w/ only minutes to spare and this was it. I feel comfortable with it, more than I would having pulled the juice cold turkey. There was the chance that last night's dose got inadvertantly fattened. And there was room to shave the dose and still shoot today. So that's what we did.

So here we are knocking on that door unexpectedly fast. Scary & Exciting. Any words of wisdom as we head toward the path?
    We need and appreciate it.

B&H

2. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Re: 3/27 Hank- AMPS 87 dosecrease

Sorry I have no words of wisdom, but others will. Hank's progress has been remarkable. Good job, Betty & Hank!

Ella & Stu

3. CD and BigMac

CD and BigMac Well-Known Member

Re: 3/27 Hank- AMPS 87 -Dosecrease, +5:15- 75

Day 5 of all-green all-the-time. Woo hooo for Hank! [​IMG]

Hank really can't be compared to Spot or Donovan. They had been on insulin much longer and their situations were different. Hank's pancreas probably didn't need as much support as other kitties. Don't stress about it! It's a lovely thing to be healing as quickly as he is.

The one drop seems to be fine today for him so you made a good choice. He may have done ok without it, but he's doing great with the drop. Keep monitoring to see more pretty green!

Nice job, Betty.

4. bettyandhank

bettyandhank Well-Known Member

Re: 3/27 Hank- AMPS 87 -Dosecrease, +5:15- 75

Thanks Ella! ..and thanks CD. You're supposed to be away w/ kids! Thanks for checking on us.
    (I'm ok now that decision for the moment is made..go back and do what you are doing)

I have been out this afternoon and we are just tuckered. he got me all worked up last night then kept it going in the middle of the night.
    Just too much going on to try and sort it all out on the spot.

Tonight was a bomb. Tested fine, ate fine. Had trouble measuring..1st syringe plunger was way above 0 to begin with. Not good anyway, but defo not good w/ this teenie tiny fraction of a dose. So tried a different one. It's sort of how I guage for the drop, but they are all slighlty different, that one was really different. THEN he moved when I stuck, it pulled out and I re-stuck & squeezed. I have to hope he got a trace, but I am not certain. Coulda been dry. Not happy.

Please chime in folks on us transitioning, the timing and so on. He is doing great, but has been only a very short time. I want to give his pancreas plenty of support and time to heal. Is he not doing well & Are the numbers he's getting not due to the insulin?

When do you know for sure it's time? how can we know? I want to do this right, and stay with whatever is best for him. The last thing i want to do is rush if it would jeopardize our chance at success. (though shooting placebo won't help us much if that's what i did tonight either)

Several of the recent one's really took their time...SPot, Donovan, Quincy, tasha, & went a long period on the token/trace dose before taking the leap.
    Smokey is close too...I'm trying to figure it out. How do you know it's right??
    Also, are there OTJ rules somewhere? Are you looking for them to stay in certain ranges during that time? Just trying to read up and prepare.

No funny business tonight, that's good. At least not SO far. LOL

Hope everyone's having a great weekend!

B&H

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.