3/3 Sabrina AMPS 193, +8.5 59, +9.25 79, +10.5 98, +11.5 122, She has URI

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by milfordcollector, Mar 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. milfordcollector

milfordcollector Member

Sabrina's 2/24 Condo
    Good Evening Everyone! Sabrina has had a slow & steady progress up until last Thursday when she came down with an upper respiratory infection. She went to the vet Saturday morning to have her Lytes panel done.....pretty good but the potassium was still a little on the low side....continue with Tumil K 1tsp 2x's day. As for the URI, the vet was hesitant on prescribing more antibiotics since Sabrina just finished up the 3 week course of Covenia. Sabrina has continued with her Sub Q therapy, steam baths to open up her sinuses & her continued meds as needed....famotadine, mirtz, denamarine, tumil k, cerenia........omg I think that's all of them:facepalm: So now the big question??? Sunday her #s were awesome, Monday I think a bounce was going on, & today her #s were on the low side again, which I attribute to her not having a good appetite. I gave her mirtz tonight, but when speaking with the vet she wants me to decrease Sabrina's dose to .75U tonight......does this sound correct or giving Sabrina the mirtz to increase food consumption will bring her bg back up, therefore keep her @ 1U????? I also have to call the vet's office tomorrow & let them know how she's doing with the URI...might prescribe a course of Clavamox. I've updated Sabrina's SS through today....... PLEASE EXPERIENCED EYES< OPINION ON HOLD DOSE OR DECREASE

Thank you, Cindy & Sabrina:cat:

Recap 3/1
    amps 171 1U
    +3.5 98
    +4.5 100
    +6.25 71
    +8.25 79
    +11 165
    pmps 213 1U

3/2 *Bounce*??
    amps 371 1U
    pmps 301 1U
    +4.25 289

3/3
    amps 193 1U
    +8.5 59
    +9.25 79
    +10.5 98
    +11.5 122
    pmbg 147................d/k about dose, stalling
    pmps 148 .75U(+13)
    +2.5 196
    +3.25 241.....shouldn't have followed vets advice :(

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
    Reason for edit: update
  2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

if you have all the supplies you need (just in case she drops under 50 tonight) I'd shoot the same 1 unit dose

She sure broke that bounce!!

She's starting to come up now that it's the end of the cycle so she'll probably get a bit of a food spike when you t/f/s ....and remember, Lantus takes a few hours to "kick in"

I'd plan on getting a +1 and +2 too just to see how things are going

3. Vyktors Mum

Vyktors Mum Well-Known Member

I'm with Chris I'd hold the dose. I can understand the vet getting a little nervous but they're not used to people testing like we do to keep on top of the numbers.

4. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

I agree - she is still not that far removed from the DKA. I think you're still in a "get as much insulin as you safely can" into her - ESPECIALLY since you now have another infection going on, AND she's not got a good appetite.

Remember the recipe for ketones is "not enough food + not enough insulin + inflammation/infection." You have 2 of the 3 factors present - i would make sure she's getting enough insulin and do everything possible to get her to eat. If she has a URI she may not be able to smell her food. Heating it might help. Do you have the post on stimulating a kitty's appetite? it's at the bottom of the New to the Group sticky.

5. milfordcollector

milfordcollector Member

I erred on the side of caution....75u @ +13...steam bath 10 minutes (went up 1 point +13) I'll update ss in a few......going back to 1U in the am & getting the clavamox....wheezing tonight :( I'll update her progress in the morning as school is on a 2 hr delay...thank you everyone

6. milfordcollector

milfordcollector Member

also wanted to add I didn't see your posts til after I dosed her:eek: i"m kicking myself in the ass right now!!!!!:blackeye:

7. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I have a couple of thoughts...

First, Convenia isn't an appropriate choice for an antibiotic for a URI. It's only indication is for skin infections. Vets like to use it because you don't have to pill your cat. The clavamox sounds like a far better choice.

With a ketone-prone kitty, you can always increase carbs if you are worried about numbers dropping. Since Sabrina's appetite is off, you might want to use a food that's higher in carbs than what you usually feed so you have a safety margin if you're holding the 1.0u dose..

8. milfordcollector

milfordcollector Member

Thank you everyone! School got cancelled for me so a little latter when the roads clear, I'll venture out to the vet for the clavamox. Sabrina is sounding real snotty, still really no appetite so I'm tempting her with anything she might eat. Also she's starting to get soft stools....fortiflora for that & also tempt her to eat???
    Have a wonderful day & stay safe...here on the east coast we'll be hit again with winter weather. Cindy & Sabrina :cat:

9. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Ask the vet about this: drainage of the sinuses is in part drainage from the eye. Would a drop or two of preservative-free (no stinging!) moisturizing eye drops (ex. Systane) help loosen the snot from above?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.