3/31 Frosty amps 371, +2 413, threw up, +4 443, +6 434, tolerating 2nd meal so far.

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Ana & Frosty (GA), Mar 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ana & Frosty (GA)

Ana & Frosty (GA) Well-Known Member

2. Bronx's dad (GA)

Bronx's dad (GA) Well-Known Member

It does look like Frosty needs more juice. I think the SLGS protocol says only increase in .25 increments?

3. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I would only increase to 2.0.

4. Ana & Frosty (GA)

I know, it just seems we may not get control for another month if we go at that rate. I’ll peobably go up to 2 tonight if curve continues to be flat, and then see if I can get enough testing in to increase again next week if needed, after 6 cycles. I don’t want him to be this high for weeks.

Bronx's dad (GA) likes this.
  5. Ana & Frosty (GA)

So apparently Frosty thew up a little overnight, and a big puddle just now. Mostly water and small chunks of wet food. I tested his blood after I found this, and his sugar is 443 with 0.6 ketones, so thankfully it's not DKA. I don't know if it's because he now eats more frequently, is having anxiety over the automatic feeder, or maybe drinking too much water because of the high sugars plus ate too fast? Or is there something wrong with his stomach? There was no blood or bile in vomit, smelled like cat food. Right now he is just laying with me quietly, which he NEVER does. He isn't much of a cuddle and he's always crying for food, so quiet is weird. Should I hold the noon feed??

He doesn't shed at all and his coat is the same as it was from 3 months ago (it's like stuck together in places even after we bathed him, idk why), so I don't think it's a hair ball. But I did wanna ask, what do you guys give our cats for hair ball since most medicine has sugar in it? I probably should start him on something prophylactically now that he's actually grooming, although he doesn't shed at all.

Any advice is appreciated

6. Ana & Frosty (GA)

Also, does anyone think that my first month recorded on the SS with Frosty was a honeymoon period? Is that why he required so little insulin and we almost got him off of it? I don't know if he has ever been treated for DM before or when he was diagnosed since he was a stray.

Everyone kept saying how it's so little insulin for a 15 lb cat, and he might need as much as 5 units. I wonder if that's where we are headed...:(

7. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I'm glad his ketones are fine. Keep testing for them. Throwing up always worries me, because that's what J.D. did when he had DKA.
    Sometimes, kitties especially ones with kidney problems, will throw up a bit of liquid bile or some froth in the wee hours of the morning because their tummy is empty. I looked at the labs from December in your spreadsheet, and the kidney values look okay to me. I am not the most experienced in checking lab values but have learned a lot in the years I have been on this board.

My girl kitty Ginger used to throw up a lot (2 or 3 times a week). The vets always said it was because she ate too fast or had a sensitive tummy or had hairballs (she's a long haired cat). It turned out she had hyperthyroid (she got the i131, so she is cured).
    I would have Frosty's T4 checked the next time you get blood work done if he continues. I hope it's just a tummy upset and nothing more.

8. Ana & Frosty (GA)

He had his thyroid checked a month ago because we were worried about hyPERthyroid , but it’s normal. I didn’t get the exact values from the vet apparently but his thyroid is normal.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
    Dyana likes this.
  9. Ana & Frosty (GA)

He got his +6 meal, and sugars right before we’re 434. Holding tough in the 400s. Acting more calm than usual.

10. Ana & Frosty (GA)

Welp, our +3 after the increase to 2 units this evening is still 400, and he managed to turn the tray in the autofeeder at 10 pm and eat the food, sooooo I’ll be calling the company and trying to return it. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.