+3 = 48

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Melissa and Celle, Aug 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Melissa and Celle

Melissa and Celle Member

She's been very hungry and eating. Should give her some carbs to bring up her BG? No hypo symptoms.

2. If she's that low at +3, I would say yes. Got gravy?
    Carl

3. tortie58

tortie58 Well-Known Member

Hi Melissa,
    Since this is a +3 reading, Celle should have just started with the effect of the insulin. Yes, I'd give her a tsp of HC + LC canned food to let her surf before the nadir (point of lowest bg).

4. Melissa and Celle

Melissa and Celle Member

I thought I'd check again before giving carbs: +3-3/4 = 62. Are things OK? Can I go to bed? Does she still need carbs?

5. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Yes, I agree. Give her a bit of HC (not too much, you don't want her to get full) to get those numbers up, a little. Test again in about 20 minutes.

6. tortie58

Pls refer to the sticky on handling low bg numbers
    viewtopic.php?f=9&t=147

Give Celle the tsp of HC & retest in 20 min. then post the updated bg. Most kitty dont have symptom of hypo even they are experiencing a low bg.
    I am afraid you cannot go to bed since the insulin is not in full swing yet. Celle's bg has raised due to the HC given but it WILL come down again. Most kittyies have their nadir at around +5 to +8.

7. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I would not go to bed yet! Please get a test in 30 min. If the numbers are coming up without HC, then give some LC.

8. Melissa and Celle

Melissa and Celle Member

Just to clarify, I tested before giving any carbs. Then I just now gave her a 1/8 teaspoon of Petromalt.

9. tortie58

That 48 or 62 reading at +3/+4 is "low enough" to alert you for more close monitor. I dont know about Petromalt, if it is a sugar based it will bring up the bg quickly & also fade away quickly.
    You'll need gravy type of HC canned food to bring up Celle 's bg to last for longer period.

10. Melissa and Celle

Melissa and Celle Member

+4.5 = 85.

Thanks everyone! She handled this basically on her own.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.