3/9/18 | Darwin: update (doing great!) + civvie Q

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Tasha & Darwin, Mar 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tasha & Darwin

Tasha & Darwin Well-Known Member

Condo

Hello LL&L! I've been out of town since last Saturday, and so happy to be home!

I'm happy to report that Darwin continues to do very well - this was the longest I've gone without a BG, and he was 54 tonight - typical Darwin :rolleyes:

I am ecstatic to report that he is fully transitioned to RadCat! He absolutely LOVES it, and I have never seen him eat his meals so quickly :p I am elated that he took to a raw diet so quickly! I am so very happy with how far he has come - if you asked me one year ago if I'd ever Darwin off of kibble; I'd have laughed so hard! :cat:

My question regarding our civvie: Maddie is possibly pre-renal (BUN and CREA high normal, but have not checked her SDMA or USG yet - she's "difficult" at the vet, but will be getting both done under mild sedation next week). We switched her to Avoderm - 2 varieties that are low in Phosphrous, but she isn't too keen on them. Wondering if anyone has seen CKD kitties do well on RadCat? The Lamb variety is on Tanya's low phosphorous chart, but when I looked them up; all RadCat varieties seem to be on the lower end of the Phosphorous level...thoughts?

rawia likes this.
  2. Chubba (GA)

Chubba (GA) Well-Known Member

Glad Darwin continues to do well! Sorry, don’t have any advice for your civvie.

Tasha & Darwin likes this.
  3. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

Yay Darwin! Glad the food transition went well and he likes it. :cat: Asia took to it right away, which surprised me, she's never been easy to change foods.

Asia is on radcat and has CKD. She eats the chicken and turkey varieties. What makes them lower p foods is they use eggshell powder for calcium instead of ground bone. Asia has had stable CKD for over 2 years before any noticeable change, which likely came from a combination of being in high numbers for a long time with diabetes and a kidney infection, I'm quite confident it wasn't food related. She was stable eating Stella and Chewies which has bone and probably wasn't so low p, we switched to Radcat maybe in October? Not because of CKD, but because they changed something in the Stella and Chewies recipe and both of my cats refused to eat it when that happened. I'm sure Radcat would be a great choice. I put p binders (aluminum hydroxide) in Asia's radcat as well as add water to it.

4. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Great update for Darwin. I don't know anything about the RadCat. I hope you can find something to help her. Sending prayers.

5. Tasha & Darwin

Tasha & Darwin Well-Known Member

Same! I am so pleased he took to it - he is definitely eating with gusto!
    That's kind of what I figured, and had read. She's just not really loving the lower p foods we've tried. She's eating, but clearly not enjoying the foods, and I think she'd like the RadCat. She's had a little taste, and ate it right up!

Stacy & Asia likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.