3/9 Tiger AMPS 306 Ear mites treatment?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Kathy and tiger, Mar 9, 2021.

1. Kathy and tiger

Kathy and tiger Well-Known Member

Previous Post
    We changed to TR!
    Stopped mixing in YA zero carb kibble and our numbers went way up-coincidence?
    He is more enthusiastic about his food again!

Anyone know what to do about persistent ear mites? Did Revolution, vet gave largest dose, made him sick for 5 days, won't do that again!

Thanks!

2. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

The ear mites could be causing the numbers to go up....Doesn't Revolution come as a spot-on application?

Congrats on switching to TR :)

3. Kathy and tiger

Thank You! We are excited about the green possibilities!
    Revolution is a spot-on treatment calibrated to cat's weight. Tiger fell in the overlap and they gave the larger dose...It did work and he has been mite free for a couple of months plus, but they are starting to creep back in. I could draw up and give him a smaller dose. Just thought someone might know of something better.

4. Bandit's Mom

I've used it for my civvie. You have to give it once a month for 3 months to be totally free of them. Eggs/larvae whatever...hatch after 3/4 weeks...

5. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

How about using the smaller dose? Could it be coincidence it was something else that caused the sickness at the time?

6. Kathy and tiger

Thank you Olive! Thank you Bhooma!
    Yes I can draw up a smaller dose from the tubes I have based on a chart that I found, have to look again and see who that was. Could have been coincidence that he got sick/lethargic but I really don't think so.
    I know it is supposed to take 3-4 doses to completely kill the cycle. I was just hoping I could find something else/better.

7. Mariette

Mariette Member

Buddy had a very bad ear mite infestation. We treated him with Revolution last year and it did seem to help, but the scratching/head shaking never went away completely. Apparently they can get secondary infections from the mites too. I also noticed that he feels groggy and unwell after a treatment.
    I've read about and tried Ivermectin before - there's some details about it in this article
    https://humanepro.org/magazine/articles/whats-bug-your-ear-kitty

8. Kathy and tiger

Thank you very much!
    That is a really good article from a good source!
    I will look into everything they mention. And post for other beans and babies....

9. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Are you positive there are mites? My older cat has gunky ears. Always scratching, shaking head. Never had mites. Turned out to be food allergy. Year after year after year vets always did culture kept saying she just has excessive dirty ears.

10. Kathy and tiger

I asked my vet to check and diagnose but she didn't do it when he was diagnosed with diabetes! But the black junk did go away during the revolution period of effectiveness. So that does point to mites.
    I have some Advecta (imacloprid) so maybe I will apply that and see what happens..stay tuned. My civvie goes outside so I just treated her. I hope it doesn't knock him down like the revolution did!

Also; I am pressing the ketone urine test strip into the wet/warm sawdust right after Tiger pees because he won't let me near the box while he does it! Should I hold the strip against the sawdust for the full 60 seconds? Or just a few and then count down.

11. Kathy and tiger

Wow Buddy is OTJ! Yay! How do you measure a drop?
    Thank you for that article! Good info...

12. Mariette

Mariette Member

No Buddy's not really OTJ yet. I'm keeping an eye. His morning numbers are a bit high so it's been some drama trying to get those numbers down. Tried to get him back on a small amount of insulin for a while but the only thing that really seems to work is giving him food super early. Which wouldn't be so bad if he would take to the auto feeder. Right now I'm just monitoring to see what the numbers do without the insulin so I may get him back on if it starts creeping up. We'll see!

A drop is a difficult measurement! We had a bit of a discussion about it on Hercules' thread: https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB...n-or-is-it-just-my-fault.244144/#post-2754440
    I think because I use 29G needles the drops that naturally form on the needle is quite large and can also vary in size depending on how smoothly I am able to push the plunger. For my own sanity I've just take it to mean less than 0.1u but still 'some' insulin.

13. Bandit's Mom

This may again need 3 monthly applications to totally get rid of them.

Once you get some urine on the ketone strip, you have to wait a certain number of seconds to check the results. Just follow the instructions in the box.

14. Kathy and tiger

There isn't really any urine-just wet warm sawdust! I am waiting 60 seconds but I don't know if I should keep it in the sawdust or pull it off to do the count! I read about this method in Tilly's but she doesn't say that part.

15. Kathy and tiger

https://humanepro.org/magazine/articles/whats-bug-your-ear-kitty

So I think I will try vetoquinal ear cleanser and Advantage Multi which I learned about in this article from Mariette and thank you! It works for ear mites as well as fleas and ticks.
    In the pamphlet included with the Revolution there is a comparison of side effects with Advantage Multi and it looks to me like the Advantage had fewer side effects. I don't know why Revolution would share that?!

Now I just need to find out more about Pressing the urine ketone test strip into the pee soaked pine pellet sawdust!
    "Tilly uses woodchip-based kitty litter: you can actually press the test strips directly into the wet litter." This was all Kirstin Roomp said! Tilly's Diabetes Homepage - Diabetes in Cats - 6 Factors (tillydiabetes.net)

Thank you all very much!