3 days diagnosed confused overwhelmed

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Alicia1234, Jul 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alicia1234

Alicia1234 New Member

Hi everyone ! My kitty is 3 days diagnosed with feline diabetes. I've spent the last 3 days sobbing I can't believe this happened but it is what it is and he's my best friend I will do anything to save his precious life. I've been reading lots on this forum about what to feed. My vet obviously gave me the Purina MD dry and wet food he hates it so much. So this afternoon I bought the fancy feast chicken pate as I've seen it mentioned here quite a few times. I let my vet know that I've switched since he was practically starving himself and ovbously I was told that this food was not the best choice and so on. I just need some guidance advice my kitty is 9 years old and perfectly healthy otherwise I've always fed him holistic "natural" food and it seemed to have reverse effects on him clearly.. please let me know any tips and tricks to ease this overwhelming stressful feeeling I currently have.

Alicia

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Hi, Alicia. What's your kitty's name? Have you seen the cat food database/list yet? It is a great help in picking foods that are very low carb and high in protein. Vets like to push the 'prescription' foods that they sell out of their offices, but they are not necessary at all, and some of the other options are even better. I am not quite a month into this myself yet, and I totally relate to the "overwhelming stressful feeling". This is a great place. There are so many really helpful, nice people with a lot of experience in dealing with this. They have survived it and so will we! (Be sure to post your health-related questions on the Health/Main Forum as this is just an introduction forum.)

Alicia1234 and TempestsMum like this.
  3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Welcome. I know all too well the overwhelming sadness and fear. I want to reassure you that it gets easier and soon will all be routine. Any of the fancy feast classic or Friskies pate foods are fine to feed. There is nothing better about the prescription food.

We are here to help and answer your question.

One way you can help us help you is by setting up a signature like you see in light grey under our posts. To do that click on your name at the top right corner and choose signature. Add info such as your pets name, date of diagnosis, food you're feeding, type of insulin, and any other health concerns.

Alicia1234 and TempestsMum like this.
  4. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Welcome Alicia and her kitty! (name?) Will look for your post over on Main Health, Mia's Mum gave you the link :)

5. Suzallp

Suzallp New Member

My one year old kitten Avalanche was diagnosed pre-diabetic yesterday. His glucose was 156. But he's walking on his hocks his back legs. I thought it was a neurological problem came on so suddenly so I took him to the vet but she's diagnosed him with prediabetes. She told me that he needs to lose 2 or 3 lb and she okayed the food that we're feeding him... Organix dry Organix wet. 1/4 cup of dry and 1/4 can wet twice a day. She said she was most concerned about the fiber and she read the labels of all the food that he eats and said it was really really good she felt it was really good food. I'm still feeling very shell-shocked. I have him in a kennel a large very large dog kennel to isolate him from the other cat until we can get him walking again and he has his food and his water and litter pan in there and a nice comfy blankie. She said it's unusual for such a young cat to be diagnosed with this but on all the blood work she ran everything else came back completely normal except for the glucose level. I actually doubted her diagnosis until I found out the walking on the hocks is a sure sign. And when he walks he sways and last night his legs back legs are actually crossing. Has anyone else seen this in a pre diabetic cat?

6. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

Welcome! :) You have gotten some really good advice already and I've nothing to add to that.

My tips and tricks to de-stressing are as follows. I hope this helps others too.

Step 1 join FDMB - you can tick that one off ;)
    Step 2 take a deep breath and go make a cup of tea (hugs in mugs) or coffee if you prefer.
    Step 3 go to the main health forums and write a post with all your questions, fears, and if you need to, offload your emotions. We don't mind! :cat:
    Step 4 read read read. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Alicia1234 and Yong & Maury GA like this.
  7. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome Suzallp.

It is indeed rare for a cat to be diagnosed with pre-diabetes at such a young age but it does happen. I would however question the diagnosis from the info you have provided and would suggest you get a second opinion.

While walking on hocks is a symptom of diabetic neuropathy, there could be something else going on to cause this symptom. A BG of 156 is within normal range if the test was done in a lab or using a pet meter and most cats have stress hyperglycemia at the vets which can raise their BG by 100 points or more. Did the vet check your kitten's potassium levels in the bloodwork?

This is just the introduction forum so I would suggest you re-post your questions on the MAIN HEALTH forum to get more eyes on it.

TempestsMum likes this.
  8. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

H Suzallp welcome to the forums. :) Try asking your questions on the main health forums as more people will see it there. Looking forward to meeting you ther and of course your sweet kitten. :bighug:

9. JanetNJ

What was his potassium level? That could also explain the difficulty walking. 156 is the high end of normal. Did she do a complete blood panel? Can you post any bodywork they did? If they didn't give it to you call them and ask them to email it to you so you can post it. I'm not convinced it's diabetes. If it is neuropathy it can be resolved with vitamin b 12 methylcobalamin and a lower carb diet.(Insulin support of necessary)

10. Alicia1234

Alicia1234 New Member

Hi ! His name is Piccolo (means small or tiny in italian LOL) Wow that is great thanks for that. Yes they do and he hates it so much. He inhales his fancy feast and seems much happier. I'm sorry to hear about your fur baby it extremely overwhelming how are you dealing with scheduling and so on? My little babe was also diagnosed with Pancreatis as well and they've put him FAMOTIDINE/pepside 10 MG for 7 days. Yes we will survive this !!

11. Alicia1234

Alicia1234 New Member

Hi Janet, thanks for the kind words I really hope everything settles. How many cans would you suggest of fancy feast classic?

12. JanetNJ

Depends on their size and activity level. While unregulated feed them as much as they want. Some cats eat only 1-2 cans a day, some eat as much as 4-5.

13. Alicia1234

Alicia1234 New Member

He is 14 pounds and semi-active. I've been feeding him 2 cans per days morning and night.

14. Alicia1234

Alicia1234 New Member

Thank you for the warm welcome :cat: Feels good to know I am not alone in this!

TempestsMum likes this.
  15. JanetNJ

If he's hungry feed more. A half can mid day and half can before bed could work for a total of three.

16. Alicia1234

Alicia1234 New Member

Should I feed 1 can and half only because I work full time and feeding mid day is hard for me.. In terms of insulin my vet says i need to feed him 30 minutes before his shot, take out Lantus 15 minutes before then shoot?

17. JanetNJ

The order is test, feed, shoot. With lantus this can all happen in 10-15 minutes.

Feed him whatever he wants to eat. Some people use timed feeders. I just leave the food out. Just no food two hours prior to the preshot test.

18. Alicia1234

Alicia1234 New Member

wow awesome. I leave his wet food out in the morning/night I have removed his dry food gradually. I have not begun testing, I have the first curve in 2 weeks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.