3rd day of Lantus and bg values are rising. Why?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Happycats, Sep 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Happycats

Happycats Member

Hi. I am not sure why my cats bg values are rising. I am on day 3. I have been using a home glucometer for the 2nd and 3rd day. I just thought it would do the opposite and bring the values down. Any feedback would help. Thanks.

2. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

is there any way you could type up the numbers you have gotten via testing? and tell us what your dose is?
    and of course, what you are feeding?

3. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

One very important thing to keep in mind is that the numbers are not the cat.

You may see some people post WCR - whole cat report - and what it means is that your kitty is way more than just the numbers.

In many cases, people see their cats changing for the better but are puzzled because the numbers are not better as well. Look to the cat for signs, and if you see your cat improving, be happy. And don't worry about the numbers; they will improve once everything settles. You need to keep in mind that there is the shed that is still filling - that's the reason the protocol calls for holding the first dose for 5-7 days so that the shed fills and then Lantus can start working well.

There are lots of things to consider including the diet and when you are feeding, plus dose and any other health issues.

Bottom line: Always look to the cat for improvement because it will come in time.

4. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

Agree -- we need more details to help you.

What insulin and dose are you giving, what time are you testing, what are you feeding?

5. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

Lantus in general needs at least a week to "settle" in the body to have good effect on the blood glucose levels. It's common to see bgs rise for a few days before it evens out. It takes a lot of patience to use Lantus which can be frustrating because many people expect to see results ASAP and that's just not now Lantus works :smile:

It would help if you could provide the current Lantus dose and the bgs numbers you've gotten. Putting the numbers into a online spreadsheet is very helpful. You can find instructions for the Google spreadsheet template over in Tech.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.