4/1 Checkers OTJtrial day6 AMBG 70

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Lukewithcats, Jan 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lukewithcats

Lukewithcats Member

After yesterday checkers seems better. I dropped off a urine sample a little while ago so we will see what comes from that. I'm worried he has a UTI which he will get antibiotics for and throw his BG all over the place. Hoping if that happens the vet can advise on some AB's that will be as low impact as possible.

So far so good, yesterday I think was one hell of a test in how well his pancreas is working, he managed to handle a very painfull medical issue and a 5 hour stay at the vet with no bedding or anything. He was given alittle purina DM at the vet after I made clear what was allowed to be given to him lol, I felt a little bad lecturing the emergency vet on what my cat can be fed but he hadn't eaten that morning that i had seen and I didn't want his BG skyrocketing from all the drama going on.

Overall the trial is looking better then i expected, if it goes to hell now at least i know we still have a very good chance at getting him OTJ!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for everyones support, its from everyones help that we have got this far.

yesterday

2. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA Well-Known Member

That's great, Luke. I don't want to be the jinx (so, anti jinx!) but Checkers is doing great.

How long had he been diagnosed? Was there a fructosamine test? Apologies if you have already discussed this. I may just be forgetting.

If you have to give antibiotics, my advice is to think first about how easy he is to pill. If you can go with the pill form in a treat, like a little butter or cheese, and avoid the liquids, I think that makes it less stressful for the kitty. Also, starting a probiotic is good. But also, if it is a UTI, ask if the antibiotics are really necessary or if you can do a retest of his urine. I know with humans there is nowhere near the quickness for giving AB for UTIs or ear infections that there used to be because many just clear up on their own. Doctors and vets sometimes think the client wants the meds. Anyway, it is worth asking, IMO.

Lukewithcats likes this.
  3. Paula

Paula Well-Known Member

Congrats! to both you and Checkers on Day 6:D:D:D:D:D:D
    Checkers is a Trooper!!!

Lukewithcats likes this.
  4. Lukewithcats

Lukewithcats Member

I'm not sure about the testing, the only testing was blood/urine on the day before he was diagnosed, since then all they have done is a single bg test with a standard handheld tester after being on lantus for 5 days which they then increased his dose and i decided home testing was the way to go.

He was diagnosed around december 12th i believe. i dont think giving him pills will be a problem, hes a very good cat and will put up with just about anything if i ask him to. hes very clingy and really seems to love me more then is normal for a cat possibly due to being young when i adopted him along with his only sibling dying the first night i had them.

5. Doodles & Karen

Doodles & Karen Well-Known Member

Way too go Checkers and good to hear he's doing better. Good luck with the test results and hope everything comes back clean & clear. Funny how the vet listened to your food requests but he sure did show them with the lovely BG's! Keep us posted.

Lukewithcats and jayla-n-Drevon like this.
  6. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

your doing awesome…. Checkers sounds like a real love bug :)

Lukewithcats likes this.
  7. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Keep up the good work Checkers! Hey, about lecturing the ER vet, I have done the same thing when it comes to the food that they give him; I take his and stress, ONLY this food. We have worked so hard at trying to get them to come down. We are entitled to be firm. ;)

8. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

Great to hear that Checkers is back home and doing well. I hope that in the end ABs won't be necessary, and that Checkers trial continues smoothly.

Keep up the good work Checkers;)

Lukewithcats likes this.
  9. Lukewithcats

Lukewithcats Member

I just heard from the vet, they said there was red and white blood cells in the urine and signs of bacteria, no crystals and no sugar. They have prescibed him I beieve clavomox is what they said he will be given, supposedly flavored pills which hopefully are not too sugary. I mentioned checkers was in the process of his remission test and the timing is horrible and they kept saying hes in remission, not sure why they kept assuming that but they apparently felt the no sugar in the urine was proof enough.

Anyone with experience with this AB please let me know what i can expect, the only experience i have is watching the cat called Pimp here and he certainly didnt seem to be reacting well to it so i wasn't very pleased to hear the name of the drug.

Any advice on other ways to help with the UTI then please let me know.

10. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

I meant repeating the urine test for infection to see if it cleared. Don't know if you or your vet would be comfortable with that. But if it cleared on its own you would not need AB. Assuming your vet agreed, of course. We've had lots of clavamox for all our pets. Just about always had digestive upset with it. I hope you are spared.

11. Lukewithcats

Lukewithcats Member

in general i like to do things naturally so it is tempting to not use the AB and instead go with probiotics or something. I tend to have faith in nature and don't feel AB's should be prescribed as much as they are considering we have a symbiotic relationship with bacteria and stuff and antibiotics don't just kill the bad stuff they can totally eradicate the good bacteria in the bowels and elsewhere which may be why it has digestive side effects. I don't feel doctors take into account the long term negative effects that may come from using antibiotics. A living being can spend a whole life with beneficial bacteria and to kill them all off just for one infection is not a great idea in my opinion, I wouldn't be amazed if checkers had gut bacteria passed down from his mother when he was a kitten and killing it he may never be able to get the beneficial bacteria back. My main problem is there is no way to really know how bad it is or anything. We all survived before antibiotics and i have no doubt they have plenty of uses and save plenty of lives but I think they should be used sparingly and if possible infections should be tracked for a few days to see if its getting better or worse before going with them.

that said with checkers in his current state the and large amount of sugar that was probably in his urine up until recent that concerns me its been thriving for a while so i am leaning towards using them.

12. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

sometimes you have to bite the bullet--I feel the same about nature but anti biotics are not the enemy-overuse of them is the enemy IMO

Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
    Lukewithcats likes this.
  13. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

Absolutely one of the main reasons antibiotics cause digestive upset is the messing with the natural balance of flora and fauna in the digestive tract. That's the purpose of the probiotics--to try to restore the balance.

I'm not a medical person so don't want to speculate. If you want to consider trying no AB, I really encourage you to ask the vet and see what s/he says. Making a decision based on speculation and anecdote isn't a great idea.

I also do not think AB are the enemy. Far from it. But there is a tendency to prescribe quickly in part because people expect it. Sometimes if you just let your doc or vet know you are of an open mind, they will wait and see. 20 years ago, ear infections in babies were treated automatically with antibiotics. Now, the thing to do is wait. I was lucky. Our pediatrician was an early adopter, even back then, of prescribing fewer antibiotics.

14. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Sorry Checkers needs the AB. If you do give it to him, make sure you give him a probiotic to help balance out the AB killing off the good bacteria.

15. Lukewithcats

Lukewithcats Member

I picked up the pills and i guess i got the name wrong over the phone. he's prescribed 50mg clavaseptin 20 pills over 10 days. Anyone have any experience with these?

16. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

Same drug, I believe.

17. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

"Clavaseptin contains a combination of amoxicillin in combination with clavulanic acid and a beta-lactomase inhibitor."

"Clavamox (amoxicillin trihydrate/clavulanate potassium) is an orally administered formulation comprised of the broad-spectrum antibiotic Amoxi® (amoxicillin trihydrate) and the β-lactamase inhibitor, clavulanate potassium (the potassium salt of clavulanic acid)."

From vetuk.co.uk and drugs.com

18. Anne & Zener GA

Anne & Zener GA Well-Known Member

It's day six, :D
    no more of these vetty visit tricks!:woot:

19. Camille and Cyclone

Camille and Cyclone Well-Known Member

I've used Clavamox many times. With one cat it caused severe diarrhea and had to be stopped; in some no problems at all; in some it's been somewhere in-between. A probiotic like feline Fortiflora given a few hours after the AB can help.

20. Andy & Pimp

Andy & Pimp Well-Known Member

http://www.vetgb.com/vetgb_pdfs/clava_234f_vetgb.pdf

Yes they are the same drug, different makers, although clavaseptin is a slightly smaller dose.
    Nothing I have done for Pimp has helped his diarrhea. Fortiflora, human probiotics, pumpkin. Slippery elm is the only thing we haven't tried, but today is the last day of antibiotics. I've been making sure to add extra water to his food to keep him hydrated. Sometimes a dish with 1/2 inch of water in it and some chicken dust or fortiflora added. He drinks it right up.
    I don't think this AB raising glucose levels is normal. ECID and I'm curious to see how Checkers will react.
    If Checkers develops diarrhea for more than a day or 2, watch for signs of dehydration, including loss of skin elasticity, white/tacky gums, and sunken eyes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.