? 4/10 | Moose | PMPS = 213 | Question about test strips.

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Moose (GA) & Rae, Apr 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moose (GA) & Rae

Moose (GA) & Rae Member

Good evening kitties & beans ~

Link to yesterday's condo.

Moose's numbers are bit icky today :oops: I imagine that it is a combination of a bounce from yesterday's AM swim with the sharks, and the full can of HC cheddar gravy food that he chowed down on while I was at work and couldn't monitor. Also, I wonder if this vial of insulin has finally kicked the bucket? It is a bit out of date...it was prescribed on January 18th and I imagine that I opened it not long after. However, I don't think that insulin goes from being very effective (i.e. yesterday's AM numbers) to not effective. Either way, I am forever grateful for @CassAndGordy who sent me a Lantus pen so I am all set if the insulin proves to have truly expired.

Question for the experts re: test strips ~

I bought some Bayer Contour test strips through walmart.com. They were sold by a third party seller, and we relatively cheap ($15 for 50 ct). This is the 2nd time that I have bought test strips through a third party seller on Walmart.com. The first batch (from a different seller) were close to expiration. Now these new ones are throwing me for a loop. They do not say "Bayer" on them like the old pack does. The old pack says they are distributed by Bayer and made in the US. The new pack says they are distributed by Ascensia Diabetes Care and made in Japan. I looked up Ascensia and they do appear to manufactor the Contour diabetes supplies. I guess I'm still confused...I'm not knowledgable about test strips and if there are generic versions or if they outsource but can still sell the product under the same name? Does anyone have any insight on this?

I am going to do a control test tonight using the same drop of blood to see how close the results are on these new strips.

Here is a link to the listing on Walmart.com Note how it does advertise them as "Bayer" Contour strips and the pictures show the word "Bayer" on the package.

Here are pictures of the old pack and new pack side by side for comparison. Old pack on the left, new pack on the right:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

I wonder if they changed the packaging? They do that all the time

Since there's an 800 number on the bottles, why not give them a call? If they are "counterfeit", they might like to know who's selling them, especially through WalMart

3. Moose (GA) & Rae

Moose (GA) & Rae Member

Excellent idea! The phone number is the same on both bottles, so that may be a good sign. I'll call them tomorrow and see what they say.

Stacy & Asia and LizzieInTexas like this.
  4. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

What, no Moose show tonight? :(

:joyful:

Moose (GA) & Rae likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.