? 4/10 Turner (alphatrack) high levels??? AMPS: 312, +5: 389, +11: 437

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by smilelari, Apr 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smilelari

smilelari Member

Pardon my french, but WTF. We have been pretty sporadic with testing glucose over the weekend, but these readings are definitely out of whack. We're seeing higher levels at 2.75u than we've seen with lower doses. What is going on here? And what do we do with his dose? Could it be that his insulin is "stale"? It's a bottle we've been using since December. Hopefully he doesn't have an infection or something brewing that would be bumping his levels up

Sorry I'm not a terribly active poster :(

Last post here

2. Vyktors Mum

Vyktors Mum Well-Known Member

Insulin needs change so what worked before won't necessarily work now and Turner has been spending a lot of time in high numbers over the renal threshold so you could have some glucose toxicity going on. But for me there are too many gaps in testing to be sure that he's not dropping somewhere and bouncing. With the numbers going straight up today it could be that Turner dropped low last night and his body is now responding to that with a heck of a bounce. If it is a bounce it could last several cycles.

I doubt it's your insulin since you've only been using it since December but does it look OK visually - no floaties or cloudiness? Has it been left out of the fridge for an extended period anywhere along the way?

Does he seem OK otherwise? UTIs are very common with diabetics have you noticed any change in lb activity?

3. smilelari

smilelari Member

The insulin looks fine and hasn't been left out for any extended period. He has the normal diabetic type stuff going on. Ravenous. Thirsty. His weight is holding steady. Just checked this morning an it hasn't changed for months.

4. smilelari

smilelari Member

So do I need to give it a couple days and see if this is a bounce? Or be more aggressive in getting those levels down and up the dose?

5. Vyktors Mum

Did your signature say SLGS just before and was there dry food involved or am I losing my mind (certainly not out of the question)?

For TR you want to get an additional (to the PS tests) test every cycle and there can be no dry food involved. It doesn't have to be mid cycle everytime, any additional data helps us to see what is going on. If you are out for the day even a +2 or a +10 helps to paint the picture and getting into the habit of grabbing that before bed test every night is very valuable.

The best advice I feel I can safely give (assuming no dry food) is to wait out another 5 cycles (so it will be 6 since the possible low last night) for any bounce to clear. Then if you don't see the numbers coming down or a low somewhere start increasing more aggressively, after every 6 cycles (in accordance with the TR protocol) until you do see them coming down.

You really want to get him into better numbers to stop the excessive drinking and peeing, these are signs that he is over the renal threshold and his kidneys etc. are being damaged.

6. smilelari

smilelari Member

We've always been TR (once we decided not to go with what the vet originally prescribed). There was dry food in the beginning. Vet prescribed M/D and we did the dry of that for a while and then the wet. Now we're doing mostly Nature's Variety Instinct (canned) with some FF classic pates mixed in. Been doing that for probably 2 months or so. We have him on a timed feeder now and he's fed on a very regular schedule

We'll wait another 2 days or so and see if there's a bounce that clears and then see where we go. I feel in my gut that we need to go up, so it's kind of frustrating, but I know we need to stay safe too

Maybe we aren't cut out for TR, LOL. We try. Tues and Thurs I work from home so those are super easy days to get a lot of tests in and I usually do. Husband is going to start working from home on Fridays, so we should be able to get pretty good data on those days as well. Monday and Wednesday, we're gone 7:30-5:30 Weekends are a crap shoot. Most people probably have these scheduling issues (well, we probably have more opportunity than most with our work from home days), so I feel like we should be able to sort this out. But we get 3 days in and a lot of the time it seems like we had a bounce and need to wait or we don't have enough data and need to wait.

7. smilelari

smilelari Member

Yesterday is probably when we really needed that mid cycle test :(

8. Vyktors Mum

If he did go low or drop fast to cause a bounce last night, even a +2 or +3 would have given a indication of that. I don't know what time you shoot but on the days you are gone for 10 hours perhaps there is potential to get in a +2 or a +10. With those extra tests, if they show no indications of fast drops or going low, you will be able to safely be more aggressive in your increases.

9. smilelari

smilelari Member

We usually shoot right on the way out the door (around 7:30). Mostly because we don't want to have to get out of bed uber early to do it on the weekends. We could probably get a +10 on both ends (morning when we get up and when we get home). And we can get a +2 or +3 after the PM shot

Vyktors Mum likes this.
  10. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Getting those extra tests in really might help figure out the puzzle that is Turner

I hate mornings too, but I drag my rear out of bed early and hope I can go BTB!!...I've pretty much got "shooting while still sleeping" down to an art form.....LOL

11. smilelari

smilelari Member

I have such a hard time getting back to sleep. A lot of the times I'm up anyways (I have a 4 year old and 6 year old) but if I have the chance to sleep...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.