4/10Ravan/amps185/+4 217/+10 122/pmps93/+5 82/+8 77/

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by JoyBee&Ravan, Apr 10, 2019.

1. JoyBee&Ravan

JoyBee&Ravan Well-Known Member

2. JoyBee&Ravan

Something is going on with Ravan. BG is going up! Could the extreme stress at the vets triggered something? Should I try increasing his dose a bit?

Does anyone know how long it takes for the Blood Pressure to go down with Amlodipine? He's taking 1/4 of a tab ?
    I have a dental for me this morning . I'll check back when I get home. Thanks to everyone for the vines & good wishes. :)

Found this info online: Blood pressure meds can show results in as little as 3 days, as long as 3 weeks

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
  3. JoyBee&Ravan

They have Blood pressure monitors on Amazon for animals. $50 to $75 I wonder if they're accurate?

Just found this info
    Harvard University: Stress hormones can constrict your blood vessels and lead to temporary spikes in blood pressure.
    Ravan was extremely stress when Dr drew blood. I'm sure it caused his BP to go higher. Not saying he doesn't have high BP but I do think it went higher from the stress.

Increases in blood pressure related to stress can be dramatic

Notify your doctor if your cat has liver problems before administering this medication.

Ravan has high liver enzymes I wonder if the meds will hurt him? Vet knows about the high enzymes but gave it anyway? This is confusing!

Losing weight & exercise can lower high blood pressure.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
  4. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Vet visits can raise BG. You may want to make a note on the SS of when the vet visit was. I don't know if the Amlodipine affects BG. I'd give it a couple of days for things to settle down after the vet visit and starting the Amlodipine before you make a dose change. You don't want to make too many changes at the same time. I hope your dental visit goes well. Sending prayers.

JoyBee&Ravan likes this.
  5. Jill & Scooter

Jill & Scooter Well-Known Member

I don’t know anything about BP meds, but i hope Ravan comes back down for you. Vines for Peggy Sue!

JoyBee&Ravan likes this.
  6. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

I have no ideas Joy. Hope you figure it out.

JoyBee&Ravan likes this.
  7. nslade001

nslade001 Well-Known Member

I assume your vet tested blood pressure before the blood draw, so Ravan wasn't as stressed? There is a "normal stressed cat at vets" bp level that vets are aware of and take into account, and the "much higher-than-the-normally-stressed-cat" bp numbers they prescribe meds for. Ideally vets try to measure the bp when the cat is least stressed, after they've had a chance to sit a few minutes but before any real handling; then they take a few measurements and take the average of those.

If your vet waited until after the blood draw to try to get Ravan's bp and you're worried it's inaccurate, you could mention your concerns and ask for a re-do; hopefully they'll be fine with that, or be able to assure you if his bp results were *really* off the chart and indicating high bp regardless of stress.

Tanya's crf site has some great info on hypertension in cats, including info on bp machines you can purchase for in-home use:

https://www.felinecrf.org/hypertension.htm

High bp can cause seizures, blindess, heart problems and worsen kidney problems, and should be treated.

Thinking of you with love, Nikki

JoyBee&Ravan likes this.
  8. JoyBee&Ravan

@nslade001

Ravan had a very bad experience at the vet a year ago. He still remembers & from the moment I get in the car with him he starts yelling. He was never that stressed before.
    Yes the vet did the BP first but as I said Ravan was crying & struggling from the moment we got there it just escalated the longer we were there. Letting him sit does not lessen his stress He wants out of there & Home.

He is getting 1/4 tab of Amlodipine once a day. Do you know if I can get that in a liquid? And how long does it take till his BP comes down?

9. nslade001

nslade001 Well-Known Member

Hi Joy, I'm sorry he gets so stressed at the vets. Some vets will do a house call to do a blood pressure check (it doesn't need to be a vet, a tech should be able to do it if they will send a tech alone), you're likely to get the least stressed reading there. According to Tanya's site some vets will loan their bp machine out, although I don't think I've ever met a vet who might lol.

I know you can get amlodipine in a suspension for kids, but it's usually sweetened (I googled it, I thought Willow might have hypertension but she didn't)...I don't see why it couldn't be compounded without the sweetener. I'd ask your vet, or call some compounding pharmacies and ask.

I honestly don't know how long it would take for the amlodipine to take effect.

With love, Nikki

JoyBee&Ravan likes this.
  10. JoyBee&Ravan

Thank you. I'll look into having it compounded.

11. JoyBee&Ravan

I wanted to post Ravan's Lab results but I'm just too worn out right now. I'll try tomorrow!