? 4/12 Silver AMPS 225 PMPS 256 ALL YELLOWS what else can I do?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Juliet, Apr 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Juliet

Juliet Guest

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
  2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

It's great to hear Silver is feeling good. What a nice way to wake up. I hope his numbers will come down soon, but that is a low yellow.

Juliet likes this.
  3. CassAndGordy(GA)

CassAndGordy(GA) Well-Known Member

I hope his numbers start sliding down for you, but I'll echo everyone else: its awesome that he is feeling good and being himself!

Juliet likes this.
  4. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Yes, very good report! :smuggrin:

Juliet likes this.
  5. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

Keep it up Silver!

Bellasmom likes this.
  6. Juliet

Juliet Guest

I'm still not happy with the yellows. Still higher yellow than he had been. Still filling depot you think? I also upped the dose last night.

7. Tracey&Jones (GA)

I think the depot would be stabilized by today @ the 4.25u. That extra .25u...that may take a few more cycles to kick in.

Curve day Saturday? Curious to see what that shows.

8. Juliet

Juliet Guest

Yes. Curve day Saturday although we have a vet visit scheduled for 9am for dental exam and blood draw (for pancreatitis test). The vet wants me to come in earlier as he wants a longer discussion re Silver. I don't know why. We were on the phone a good half hour last night. I am a little nervous he may challenge the insulin dosing method. Not sure how to stand my ground when his numbers clearly aren't coming down.

9. Tracey&Jones (GA)

I would personally push it back to requiring the dental as DKA is a trifecta - there has been no clear dx of imflamation or infection. Which is why your are there. If his teeth are the issue...it will drive up numbers...so he will need more insulin until that gets corrected. If it is pancreatitis then again...there needs to be medication added to Silver's regime to help control that inflammation/infection.

The dose can be adjusted down once his numbers improve.

He needs to look at the whole picture...not one item on the list. It all works together.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
  10. Sandy and Black Kitty

Sandy and Black Kitty Well-Known Member

Happy and purry is great.

From yesterday’s condo-
    That is correct. Testing daily is important, particularly for kitties that have a history of ketones.

It may have already been said however it bears repeating-
    The way DKA happens is that when there is not enough energy from food making it into the cells, the body will breakdown it’s own stored fat and protein to try and fulfill the need for more metabolic energy. The excessive breakdown of these stored reserves creates a toxic by-product - ketones. As ketones build up in the blood stream, the resulting pH and electrolyte imbalances can very quickly develop to life threatening levels , a state of DKA.

The tipping point is an ECID thing so like Jill said yesterday, remain watchful and vigilant.

11. Juliet

Juliet Guest

Thanks. I fed him a full can of FF this morning and it was too much for him. The last couple days I had been adding 1/4 can of Tecovery to the same meal and he ate all of it. Usually he'd get 3/4 of a can each feeding. So I wouldn't say he's off his food but he can't manage a full can. Anything to worry about there?

12. Sandy and Black Kitty

Sandy and Black Kitty Well-Known Member

Eating his regular amount is excellent. No worries there.

Did he lose any weight recently?

Im a huge fan of dentals. It was key for BK. You can see the dramatic effects on his ss. First dental was early December 2008 and the second dental was late May 2009. Without addressing his teeth and gums he would never have achieved regulation much less made it to the Falls.

Keep in mind that a cat is not going to open his mouth and say “ahhh” and even if he did what’s going on under the gums is only visible with radiography.

The vet may challenge your dosing. If he does folks here can help you sort it out.

Tracey&Jones (GA) and Juliet like this.
  13. Juliet

Juliet Guest

He's lost a lot of weight in the last 7 months in my mind. He is 5.47kg (12lb) but he was a chunky cat before diagnosis. I think he's too thin but that could be due to what I am used o seeing.

Scared of the anesthetic for him. He's been through a lot lately.

14. Mandy & Rex (GA)

Mandy & Rex (GA) Well-Known Member

I think Silver looks good at 12 pounds. 2 of my civvies are at 11 pounds and one is a short-haired orange tabby with a similar build to Silver.

Juliet likes this.
  15. Amanda & Shmee

Amanda & Shmee Well-Known Member

I needed good news today! :) I hope Silver continues to do well.

Juliet likes this.
  16. Juliet

Juliet Guest

I'm so discouraged with these yellows...we had been mostly blues for so long until 2 or 3 weeks ago when its been all yellows.
    Don't know what else to try...increased dose last night; dental exam on Saturday although I was told no infection; no urine infection. Pancreatitis test on Saturday. What else can I do to get these numbers down?!?

17. PussCatPrince - GA

PussCatPrince - GA Well-Known Member

His numbers will be shot for a bit Juliet. He's had a bit of a traumatic time of it what with the hospital stay & meds.
    If you look at Ty's ss , it has taken quite a while for his numbers to settle.

:bighug:

18. Juliet

Juliet Guest

Hmm ok but he had no meds. Only fluids. His numbers have been shot for three weeks I think.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.