4/18 Davidson PMPS 192, +4-181, +8-159, +9.5-131, +3-115

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Shawna & Davidson (GA), Apr 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shawna & Davidson (GA)

Shawna & Davidson (GA) Well-Known Member

Condo: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/4-17-davidson-pmps-193-2-167-5-115-6-118-9-5-106.194273/

Davidson's number are a bit higher today as Pet Sitter was here for full on training and she was a bit nervous doing the testing, and with Davidson on her lap he felt the tension. After a few tries she did it, then she measured the insulin (yeah, wasted a couple needles and insulin, lol) and I injected him. We went over all the prep wok I did and went for breafast.............when we got home she did the +2 test on her own.

Davidson was eating at the time, she did the test, went GREAT and he was a little higher from a food spike.

Then it was time to practice inserting the needle..........Davidson was the BEST EVER, she practiced the tent, stab, plunge - naturally the cap was on the plunger and no insulin in the needle. After about 10 times she felt comfortable and next time she will inject the insulin herself. She has the testing down pat, and feels the needle entering the skin, so no doubt it will go well for her in a few days when she does the entire procedure on her own.

Let's see what Davidson does today after he settles down............glad it went well!

2. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

Sounds like a good training session all around!

3. Shawna & Davidson (GA)

A bit of a bounce at +2.25 as pet sitter did the test and took her a bit to gt Davidson comfortable on 'her' lap, and then a few nervous pricks in his ear so no doubt, he was a bit stressed. Not to mention he was eating at the time so we took him away from his food, and probably a bit of a food spike. Next test at +3 was done once she left, but we probed him several times with a needle as mentioned above.........so I'm sure all the "stuff" going on by her and myself made him a bit cautious so see what he does this afternoon.

4. Shawna & Davidson (GA)

5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Glad you are getting some petsitter training it.

From the other thread, Davidson is considered a long term diabetic. It's been over a year since he was first diagnosed.

6. Shawna & Davidson (GA)

He was on insulin only for 3 months and that was 4 yrs ago........I know once a diabetic always a diabetic, but I'm not sure I'd define him as long term.............any other opinions on this? It matters with reductions I would think.

7. Wendy&Neko

If you don't believe me, how about this post on Earning Reductions and Starting OTJ Trials.

It's harder to get a kitty who has fallen out of remission back into remission. That's a second reason to make it more difficult to earn reductions.

8. Shawna & Davidson (GA)

I didn't say I didn't believe you, so don't blow a gasket on me...........I've posted I have NO experience on cats that were in remission, I'm asking for others on here to voice their opinions as other have more experience then you in the same manner, others have less. Your post is NOT warranted and a simple explanation would have sufficed.

IMO, if a cat is on insulin for years that deems "long term".........3 months didn't seem like it was long term to me, and remember Davidson is 'my' cat and I do not have to follow anyone's advise. I'm constantly in contact with my Vet, who is very well versed in TR (since I've sent him that way) and others on here privately who offer some pretty good info as well.

Enuf said, and in time ultimately I make all the decisions based on info I receive by you, others, myself, my vet, etc. and I have no reason NOT to believe you or anyone.

9. Shawna & Davidson (GA)

I read the post you inserted, thank you...........it still does not clarify what a "long term" cat is and IMU Davidson is less then a year.........that I will have clarified soon enough I'm sure. Or perhaps you or others can send me the link where it states that cats that have a DX in the past # of years ago are considered long term diabetics, I could very well have missed that part. I'm also taking an aggressive approach and not necessarily following the TR like most.

10. Wendy&Neko

Sorry I wasn't clear on the definition. It has been more than a year since Davidson was diagnosed, hence, he's a long term diabetic. If you want to take a look at others that have long term diabetics out of remission, check out the spreadsheets of a few, such as currect active members.
    @Judy and Boomer
    @Bobbie And Bubba
    @Chris & China
    Jill's Alex went into remission then fell out too. Plus we have several members here who have been on insulin longer than a year, but not gone into remission. Davidson has been a diabetic since he was first diagnosed. He has just been a diet controlled diabetic for a large part of that time.

The best way to get eyes from people who have had diabetics fall out of remission is to add something like "cats out of remission" to the subject line, then change the prefix to ?

11. Shawna & Davidson (GA)

Now that's better :D for a description..........I am aware once diabetic, always diabetic even if on insulin 2 weeks. I am understanding the long term / short term as how long the cat was on insulin, hence with Davidson one could assume he would be short term.

Thanks for the links as I've not look at others as yet, or I have but not to the detail I will be interested in regarding when it's time for a reduction.

Appreciate your replies!!

Jill & Alex (GA) likes this.
  12. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Hey Shawna, we are one of the ones that Wendy tagged. This is Bubba's 4th rodeo on insulin.

One thing to remember is that our kitties were probably diabetic long before they were even formally diagnosed. That said, even though Davidson had a first short stint on insulin, he is still a long term diabetic. And I tell you it is harder with each time they go back on insulin to get them off. A few of Bubba's Tours of Duty ( sorry, I am a Marine Brat) were pretty close together and to get him off again was easier than this time when there was a 6 month insulin free time. You had a bit longer. So, my advice would be to be more conservative with when you are going to take reductions. Like Wendy said, make it hard for him. You want to keep him in the "zone" for as much time as you can.

You are making good head way with him and you don't want to lose momentum.

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  13. Shawna & Davidson (GA)

Thanks Bobbie, understood that from Wendy’s second explanation. Makes clearer sense now......In the long run it Davidson has to be on insulin for another 10 yrs then so be it......we can only do what we can, only our cats can decide.

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  14. Shawna & Davidson (GA)

A bit of a bounce today, but seems that Davidson settle down and coasting along.........maybe I'll get a bit more sleep now, hahaha

15. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm glad the petsitter training went well. It's easy to rush things with reductions and then they don't hold. I've found with Furball (2nd time around on insulin) that if I take them too quick, I just have to go back up in dose.

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  16. Shawna & Davidson (GA)

I'd say good morning to all, but we're all over the world and it could be night, afternoon, etc. so I'll just GOOD DAY!!!

I believe Davidson is doing well, and today is the start of Cycle 9, does anyone think Davidson needs an increase? He didn't have any greens yesterday and only the odd bounce into the yellow.........

Suggestions please knowing "I" am taking a bit more of an aggressive approach with Davidson and usually did the dosecrease on the 3rd day.

TY,
    Shawna

oh, on a side note, Harley is doing very well after dental surgery and removal of a cyst on his chest that was filled with blood, he didn't need pain meds as like Davidson he just gobbled up the crunchy chicken treats. He was on ab's and had very little poop for the first 6 days, then last night it was an explosion - and a bit of liquipoo but the stink could have knocked us all down. His abs are done now so no doubt he'll get back to normal and the stinkypoo will disappear..........YUCK!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.