4/18 Tim AMPS 167, +3 52, +6 81

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Raewyn, Apr 17, 2019.

1. Raewyn

Raewyn Member

Should Tim's dose be reduced? Especially considering I am going to be away for four days from tomorrow afternoon - I have someone coming in to give him insulin but not testing. My vet previously told me to just stick with the 3.25 unless the preshot value was less than 6 mmol/L (100 mg/dl) but the +3 value today was so low it makes me worried about not being around to monitor him. His numbers are still all over the place but this is by far the lowest he's been.

I am waiting to hear from my vet so I can ask her if she thinks the dose should be reduced but I thought it would be good to get a second opinion too.

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Hello Raewyn and welcome to you and sweet Tim. His dose should definitely be reduced for the time you are away. I would do something like 3 units, cause it's on the syringe line and easy for the petsitter to figure out. Leave an old syringe filled with coloured liquid to the 3 unit mark, so the petsitter can verify he/she has the right dose. I too wouldn't trust Tim to be safe at 3.25 while you are away. Some cats also eat less with a sitter, another reason to reduce. If you think that might be Tim, I might consider going down to 2.5 units while you are away.

If you haven't already, I would read the yellow starred Sticky Notes at the top of this forum. There is one on dosing methods, people here pick one of Tight Regulation or Start Low Go Slow Method for dosing. Those dosing methods tell you when you should decrease or increase a dose. For example, if you are following SLGS, they earn a reduction if they go below 90 (5.0). If using TR for dosing, the reduction point is 50 (2.8).

3. Raewyn

Raewyn Member

Thanks for you help. My vet also said to decrease to 3 units, so I will do that.