? 4/19 Max amps 413, +2 419, +5 361, +7 285, +10 164, pmps 196

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by MindyC, Apr 19, 2019.

1. MindyC

MindyC Member

Ugh. So following the SLGS method (because we've only been on Lantus for a week), Max earned himself a reduction on 4/17 (1U to .75U). Since then, his numbers are trending back upward. He hasn't peed in the bathroom in a week, but he's done so twice in the last 12 hours (yes, I cleaned his box after the first episode).

Do I push him back up to the 1U? Do a skinny 1U? Keep him at .75U for another day or so?

Previous thread: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...242-10-72-pmps-122-2-188.213357/#post-2364127

2. MindyC

MindyC Member

Bumping for more eyes. Shot time is 5:30 Eastern.

3. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Hey there! Congrats on the reduction on 4.17. It looks like he is trying to clear the bounce ( it takes 6 cycles to clear) But because this is his first green number, hold this dose for 10 cycles and then reevaluate.

4. MindyC

MindyC Member

Thank you! That is helpful. When Max was dx’d before, he settled right into the dose from the vet, cruised there for a few weeks, then suddenly went OTJ (seriously, went from 2U to token .25U in a week!). This dose figuring out and watching and bouncing is all new. Add in the 5-6 weeks we were on novolin this time, and I feel like a newbie at this.

I am incredibly happy to see the blues right now...hopefully we can cruise a bit here and he can stop peeing in the bathroom... My husband, while happy that there has been something we could do for him, has no patience, so any time he pees in the bathroom instead of the litter box makes him lose his marbles.

5. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Mindy,
    Perhaps put another litterbox in the bathroom. It's an appropriate place for one!

I agree with Bobbie (@Bobbie And Bubba ) about holding the new dose. It often takes a number of weeks after beginning Lantus for Lantus to get "established" and to begin working the way it should. Max was bouncing from that green. It can take up to 72 hours to clear a bounce, but it looks as if he is doing OK with those blues.

6. MindyC

MindyC Member

Thank you. The length of the bounce threw me this time. I’m going to test him soon (+4), and hopefully we have a good number!

As for the litter box...he has one about 5 feet before he gets to the bathroom. :facepalm: Lately it seems to be related to his box being too wet (we can’t use clumping litter because of the other cat). He either pees in the bathtub or kind of in the corner between the toilet and the tub. There just isn’t anywhere a box would fit in that bathroom. But we’ve at least gotten smart enough to put puppy training pads in those places so there is some odor control and easy cleanup when he does do it. :D